Squids I see

Gixxus Christ!

Thought I'd start a thread about squids we see out and about after the one I saw yesterday.

Me and Jamal (Malaysian invasion) were out on a short jaunt through Lawrenrence, Clinton and canal Fulton when we stopped for water and a stretch. Up rides this dude, no gear, backwards ball cap, wrap around sun glasses on an older r6. We start looking at his bike, the chain is rusted to the point that the swing arm is stained red and brown, plastics are chipped and cracked, the fork legs are pushed up like 2 inches out of the top clamp to lower the front end and his fork suspension settings appeared to be for a man 3x his size on one side and an anorexic high school girl on the other. 

While we were finishing our waters he came out of the gas station and rode off. At about 3k rpm you could hear his motor breaking up because of either dirty or poorly adjusted carbs. 

Pretty squiddy.

Stupidly Quick, Under-dressed, Imminently Dead.

We all see that kind of stuff all the time (although it take a more discriminating eye to notice the condition of the chain and suspension setting).   I used to get worked up at stuff like no gear, poor maintenance etc, but these days I just chuckle and move on. 

My motto used to be; "Anyone who doesn't wear a helmet obviously doesn't think there's anything worth protecting up there..."  Now my motto is; "Just don't be in my health insurance pool."

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Scruit said:

Stupidly Quick

I must take exception to this description.  Many of the squids I've seen are brand new riders with little or no riding skills who are only "stupidly quick" in their own mind.  It is primarily these riders who will fulfill your prediction of "Imminently Dead"

I've seen the rusted chains. I'll start off with dood, you could probably put 20 more horsepower to the ground with some oil on that chain. Then I'll try to explain what can happen and hope that gets the gears in their minds working. 

Stupidly Quick = when compared to your skill level.

Some of you track guys here can do well into triple digits and be just fine because your skills match your pace (and I imagine the track is a great place to find out where that skill/pace limit is without "becoming one" with a minivan in the process).  

Some folks on out on the road shouldn't go above walking pace. 

On 5/13/2016 at 0:07 PM, Bubba said:

I must take exception to this description.  Many of the squids I've seen are brand new riders with little or no riding skills who are only "stupidly quick" in their own mind.  It is primarily these riders who will fulfill your prediction of "Imminently Dead"

Define "quick"...

To squids, it means the BIKE is fast.

To bikers, it means the RIDER is fast.

• Upvote 1

SQUIDS This term is used by Harley riders for new riders on crotch rockets. Squids  = Squirrely Kids.  Think of what a squirrel  looks like when crossing a busy 4 lane highway  darting all over. Sometimes they make it Sometimes they don’t.

Edited by HeavyDuty

Coming from a lack of gear perspective. HD riders are the absolute worst.

Squids come in all forms, shapes and sizes and ride all types of bikes. I was a squid at one point (thats what a liter in highschool will do to you) ... I've learned.

Edited by TimTheAzn

3 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Coming from a lack of gear perspective. HD riders are the absolute worst.

Squids come in all forms, shapes and sizes and ride all types of bikes. I was a squid at one point (thats what a liter in highschool will do to you) ... I've learned.

Bullshit, Triumph riders are the worst.

b6NeaLN.jpg

2 hours ago, JustinNck1 said:

I'll admit i used to squid when I got my first bike (CBR600 F4i) and I thought it was cool to wear a t-shirt, shorts and sneakers. Now I can't even ride without a jacket and gloves.

That's because it's a proven fact that your; "What the F am I thinking?" sense doesn't kick in until your late 20s.

What are there no 50-yo squids?   Half of them grew up.  The rest died.

• Upvote 1

In my 20's  I didn't sport much gear. Helmet, maybe boots. Gloves and jacket if it was cold. I have since matured. Not that wearing gear takes you out of squiddome....but most atgatt riders don't rock dank woolies on public streets or go onto the freeway in large groups with the express purpose of riding like assholes.