Video Riding with a gun!

B-Mac

40 minutes ago, Tonik said:

This should be good. I'll start.

Ohio does not require you to disclose to the LEO's unless you are carrying concealed.

For those wondering:

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.126

If a licensee is the driver or an occupant of a motor vehicle that is stopped as the result of a traffic stop or a stop for another law enforcement purpose and if the licensee is transporting or has a loaded handgun in the motor vehicle at that time, the licensee shall promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the vehicle while stopped that the licensee has been issued a concealed handgun license and that the licensee currently possesses or has a loaded handgun; the licensee shall not knowingly disregard or fail to comply with lawful orders of a law enforcement officer given while the motor vehicle is stopped, knowingly fail to remain in the motor vehicle while stopped, or knowingly fail to keep the licensee's hands in plain sight after any law enforcement officer begins approaching the licensee while stopped and before the officer leaves, unless directed otherwise by a law enforcement officer; and the licensee shall not knowingly have contact with the loaded handgun by touching it with the licensee's hands or fingers, in any manner in violation of division (E) of section 2923.16 of the Revised Code, after any law enforcement officer begins approaching the licensee while stopped and before the officer leaves. Additionally, if a licensee is the driver or an occupant of a commercial motor vehicle that is stopped by an employee of the motor carrier enforcement unit for the purposes defined in section 5503.04 of the Revised Code and if the licensee is transporting or has a loaded handgun in the commercial motor vehicle at that time, the licensee shall promptly inform the employee of the unit who approaches the vehicle while stopped that the licensee has been issued a concealed handgun license and that the licensee currently possesses or has a loaded handgun.

If a licensee is stopped for a law enforcement purpose and if the licensee is carrying a concealed handgun at the time the officer approaches, the licensee shall promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the licensee while stopped that the licensee has been issued a concealed handgun license and that the licensee currently is carrying a concealed handgun; the licensee shall not knowingly disregard or fail to comply with lawful orders of a law enforcement officer given while the licensee is stopped or knowingly fail to keep the licensee's hands in plain sight after any law enforcement officer begins approaching the licensee while stopped and before the officer leaves, unless directed otherwise by a law enforcement officer; and the licensee shall not knowingly remove, attempt to remove, grasp, or hold the loaded handgun or knowingly have contact with the loaded handgun by touching it with the licensee's hands or fingers, in any manner in violation of division (B) of section 2923.12 of the Revised Code, after any law enforcement officer begins approaching the licensee while stopped and before the officer leaves.

http://www.ohioccw.org/wiki/Obligation_to_Inform_Police_Officers

When do you NOT have to inform?

In each scenario outlined below there are three primary requirements that must all be met for you to have a legal obligation to inform:

1. This only applies if you are a concealed handgun licensee (if you have obtained a CHL and are openly carrying you are still legally a licensee)
  2. This only applies if you are transporting or have a loaded handgun. (If you have no firearms or just firearms other than handguns, or they're not loaded, notification may not be required)
  3. This only applies if you are stopped for a law enforcement purpose, which should always be assumed during a traffic stop.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, zx3vfr said:

I assumed carrying meant having it loaded. 

It does, it is worded badly at times.....If my handgun is unloaded and locked in a case I do not have to inform.  But if the mag is loaded and in the car...no where near the gun.  The gun is loaded in the eyes of the law.

27 minutes ago, Tonik said:

It does, it is worded badly at times.....If my handgun is unloaded and locked in a case I do not have to inform.  But if the mag is loaded and in the car...no where near the gun.  The gun is loaded in the eyes of the law.

Was not the loaded magazine provision changed as long as the magazine and gun were in desperate areas of the vehicle?

34 minutes ago, zx3vfr said:

I assumed carrying meant having it loaded. 

Gotcha, and here I assumed by carrying you simply meant transporting.  I guess there's a lot of poor wording/comprehension going on here lol

34 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Herein, lies the gray area of this law ( or so it seems to me ).  So it matters not where the magazine is ( other than apart from the gun ), or if it's locked up....but if the magazine is loaded and in the same vehicle - it's still considered concealed?  

18 minutes ago, zx3vfr said:

Was not the loaded magazine provision changed as long as the magazine and gun were in desperate areas of the vehicle?

9 minutes ago, Hellmutt said:

Herein, lies the gray area of this law ( or so it seems to me ).  So it matters not where the magazine is ( other than apart from the gun ), or if it's locked up....but if the magazine is loaded and in the same vehicle - it's still considered concealed?  

Jason is correct, the changed the law.  As long as the mag is in a separate compartment it is no longer considered loaded.

34 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Jason is correct, the changed the law.  As long as the mag is in a separate compartment it is no longer considered loaded.

Good luck convincing a Podunk town cop of that though. The bigger cities tend to stay on top of the current laws, at lest it seems that way. More money for legal departments? More fear of tapping into lawsuit insurance ?