Need help with an issue / possibly just nerves?

AmyF27

:confused:. Ok.  I have had my Suzuki S40 since Xmas time last year.  Ive had some really good days on it but lately I have what I think is jist a bad habit... when I start gping close to 35 or above, I find myself leaning toward the right almost as if Im trying to turn (but I want to ride straight).  This in turn has my bike riding towards the left/center of the road which causes some anxiety.   I noticed this a lot after I had ridden the 100 mile trip to work a couple weeks ago with storms all around.  The storms didnt hit while I was riding but I was extremely nervous and have tensed up easily since then.   I really need some helpful hints/tips here on how to stay relaxed, proper riding position,  etc.   

If there was a cross wind, something like that happens. It can be un-nerving. Some leaning, with force on the handlebars to stay straight, is what happens. Stop or slow down if it gets bad. It won't knock you down, but if the instinct is to straighten up, it can knock the bike down. Rarely, not common, but it does happen. It would have to be a very powerful cross wind. You'll know it when it's there.

And about cross winds and tail winds. When going into a corner with a strong tail wind, it will be a cross wind out of the corner, It can add sideways push to the outside of the corner. Just be aware.

Edited by ReconRat

5 hours ago, AmyF27 said:

:confused:. Ok.  I have had my Suzuki S40 since Xmas time last year.  Ive had some really good days on it but lately I have what I think is jist a bad habit... when I start gping close to 35 or above, I find myself leaning toward the right almost as if Im trying to turn (but I want to ride straight).  This in turn has my bike riding towards the left/center of the road which causes some anxiety.   I noticed this a lot after I had ridden the 100 mile trip to work a couple weeks ago with storms all around.  The storms didnt hit while I was riding but I was extremely nervous and have tensed up easily since then.   I really need some helpful hints/tips here on how to stay relaxed, proper riding position,  etc.   

Hold the grips like your holding an egg.  Always keep your elbows bent.  This will keep you from tensing your arms.

If you are riding nervous, this is a bad thing!

Relax, let the bike do its thing.  It will go straight down the road on its own.  Lessen the amount of input, be smooth and relaxed.

If you are worried about crashing you will crash.

• Upvote 1

How old are the tires? inflation?

Have you hit anything that could have thrown the alignment off? Handle bars bent?

Rear wheel still aligned with chain adjusters?

Go somewhere dead end street/ where you can ride the exact same line in both directions to rule out road crowning.

Adjust your junk the the other side.  Oh wait you're a chick, it's not nerves it's hormones.;)

• Upvote 1

Not sure how much tank you can grip with your knees, but if it's possible, try gripping the tank with your knees more to support your body which will take pressure off your arms.   Keeping relaxed on the bars makes the ride so much easier and the bike will handle so much better.   

Like some others have said above, try not to hold the grips too tightly.  I found myself doing this a lot when I went from a cruiser to a sport bike.  I did it so much my hands and wrists would cramp up.  I fixed this by training myself to ride more relaxed every time I felt any anxiety or tension.  Loosen up on the grips and let the bike take you down the road.  Riding anxious is no fun and not safe.  You want to be comfortable and relaxed, so you can enjoy the seat time!

On Saturday, my local bike shop where I bought the bike had me bring it in.  They took it for a 4-5 mile test ride after checking all the alignment areas - everything there was in place.   The one thing they did change - air pressure in the tires.  I had been going strictly off of the air pressure recommended on the sticker on the bike.   The bike is an 05 S40.  The tires are NOT original.  The rear tire is probably about a year old.  The front is brand new - put on at my shop in March.   No odd tire wearing or anything like that.  The tech said based on the specific type of tires on the bike, he set BOTH to 40 psi.   The sticker on the bike showed 29psi front, 33 psi rear.    Big difference.    Though I do still have a little issue I'm seeing it's much easier to control now and I'm doing a LOT better.   Relaxing definitely does help, though I have to remind myself to do so! lol. 

It's always best to go by the PSI recommendation on the tire itself. It should say the max or recommended pressure on the sidewalls. 29 is really low for a front tire and 33 is pretty low too unless you're wanting extra grip for track riding.

Remember that when your tires get hot you gain between 3-5 PSI over what the pressure gauge says when they're cold, so if you fill up your tires after the bike has been sitting around all night and it says 33 psi, after a little bit of riding that will go up to 36-38 psi (or more) depending on how hot they get. If your shop brought the tires up to 40psi and it feels better to ride at that pressure, then that may be where you want them to stay. I'd double check that the max pressure indicated on the tire wall is above that though, just for safety's sake. 

it should look something like this

20101111TireLoad.sflb.ashx