what

For those with experience in the helmet com/headset arena, what are your recommendations as far as models and the like go? Are there any comparable products to what Sena makes from another manufacturer? 

I'm looking for something to tap into phone via bluetooth and listen to music, directions and from time to time BS with people I'm riding with. Built-in camera and all that isn't important to me. Looking through reviews online, there are so many different models and each model seems to have things they are good at and things that should just be swept under the rug... I'd like to hear from people with first hand experience if at all possible.

Here's what I wrote a couple months ago about my experience with the 20S.

I've been using this daily for the past year or so on the commute to the office and it works wonderfully. This quickly connects to my phone with no fuss for BT audio or I can just tell the nice lady (voice commands) to switch to FM radio and it'll auto switch to the last preset I was on. FM quality is great, there is definitely a noticeable increase in quality if you route the wire for the ear pieces over the top of the crown instead of around the neck roll. The stereo audio quality is good, not really any bass or anything but if you're looking for bass these have an easily accessible port to plug in your headphones. I prefer the ease of just putting on my helmet and having music ready to ride vs fiddling with headphones. This can get very loud and even at around 50% volume it's still plenty of punch to hear audio over my full race exhaust.

I've ridden in rain before with no issues. Granted this was southern California so it was more of a light mist compared to a Midwest rain, but regardless there were no ill effects from it getting visibly wet. 

The app to control the device is a huge win for me. It's so easy to link it up to the app on the phone, update some presets or settings on the fly, and keep riding. 

Comms between two devices is easy to setup and very clear between rider and passenger even over my excessively loud exhaust.  The music sharing is a cool feature where we can both listen to the same thing or jam to our own tunes. 

This lasts for about 1.5-3 weeks until I need to get it on the charger and charges quickly.

I never thought I needed or even wanted a communication device until I got the 20S. Now I can't ride without it.

And an update - Normally I don't get on the freeway much so most of my phone calls are city speed, but recently I had my first phone call on the freeway at speed (~75mph) and the person on the other end couldn't even tell I was riding. They didn't hear any wind noise and crystal clear audio on their end as well as mine. Their only indication that something was different was my voice undulating when going over bumps. 

• Upvote 1

Had the smh10 and sold it with my old helmet because I went with the 10U integrated on my neotec. My wife still has her smh10 and still going strong after many years. If I were to buy another where the 10U was not available for my helmet I'd go with the 20s 

Wife and I have used our pair of 20S for well over a year, and used them almost daily for months during our 30min commute to work together until she changed jobs elsewhere.  Battery life is great on these.  Plenty loud, but interstate has me struggling to hear at comfy levels with a Star helmet ( lots of airflow = poor audio ) unless I crank the volume way up.  We rode all day long at the Gap, and neither unit ran out of power.  We rode in a torrential downpour for a few hours solid on last years Gap trip however, and towards the end mine did get finicky.  It would randomly voice prompt itself to do dumbshit, possibly low batt issue but I chalked it up as waterlogged.

These pair up easily with SMH10's but haven't tried with anyone else of a different model Sena.  

20S is state of the art, and glad we chose them for our first BT comm set.  I dont see where anyone could be dissapointed with Sena products

You should look into seeing if anyone else was looking for a unit.  The dual packs are a much better deal than buying them out as a single if you can get someone to split it with you. 

The Sena 20S also pairs with the Sena App so you can pre-configure all your FM presets, setup group communications, etc through the app.  Also has a user manual within the app so you can use to figure shit out on the go.  

Only recommendation I can say is that I had to use the spacers for the ear piece to push the speakers a bit closer to my ears on the Shoei GT Air so I could hear better with ear plugs in.

The Sena 20S is phenomenal unit. 

3 minutes ago, DerekClouser said:

You should look into seeing if anyone else was looking for a unit.  The dual packs are a much better deal than buying them out as a single if you can get someone to split it with you. 

I did this with @Likwid years ago and saved money. I may not have a bike currently and have gotten rid of a lot of bike related things but I just can't muster getting rid of my jacket, helmet, sena and gloves.

31 minutes ago, DerekClouser said:

The Sena 20S also pairs with the Sena App so you can pre-configure all your FM presets, setup group communications, etc through the app.  Also has a user manual within the app so you can use to figure shit out on the go.  

Only recommendation I can say is that I had to use the spacers for the ear piece to push the speakers a bit closer to my ears on the Shoei GT Air so I could hear better with ear plugs in.

The Sena 20S is phenomenal unit. 

Thanks for the heads up Derek. 

On that note, if anyone else is looking to pick up a 20s sooner than spring, let me know. I can swing a split if need be. Otherwise I'll be picking up a single unit after winter releases its icy grip. 

I've had the Sena SMH10 for about (6) years, when I first bought the units the communication had a lot of static, over the years the software updates have improved many issues including the static problem. Like someone stated, I have taken phone calls at 70 mph and people don't know I'm on a bike. I will upgrade to the 20 next season.  

4 minutes ago, Wojo72 said:

Does anybody use the voice recognition? My 10s doesn't have it. I feel a bit of buyers remorse.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Funny you should mention that.  Mine does not work for shit once music is playing.  Soon as I start streaming music I can scream 'Hello Sena' until the cows come home and it won't respond.

But that said, I do just tap the button on the back of the unit and that gets me into voice command for the phone. So in my case 'Ok Google'. I use that a fair amount.  Like on the way back the epic I voice texted the wife to keep her posted so the garage door could be open and dinner on the table.

The voice commands for Sena are pretty basic, using it to voice command the phone is the better way to go. IMNSHO.

23 minutes ago, Tonik said:

So in my case 'Ok Google'. I use that a fair amount.  Like on the way back the epic I voice texted the wife to keep her posted so the garage door could be open and dinner on the table.

That is one of the best reasons for getting a headset/intercom. You can send or respond to texts on the fly, check weather, traffic, without having to stop, pull of your gloves, pull out the phone, etc. If you have the phone mounted, it saves you from having to be looking at it while you're riding while doing the above.