Retaining wall ideas?

max power

I need to build a small retaining wall around my patio. It's about 30 feet long and 3 feet tall. Used to be railroad ties and this summer I bought new railroad ties and tore out the old ones and replaced them but it looks like crap and it needs to be taller to keep dirt from coming out from under my concrete patio.

Got some estimates for landscaping  Bubbys to come in and replace it with those locked together  landscaping blocks but at $3000 it's just not doable. 

Does anyone know anything about the steel retaining walls or the Ibeam and 4 x 4 set ups? 

Here are some pictures I pulled off the inter-webs that were ideas I already had in my head. The rock baskets are called Gabion.  It  looks easy and inexpensive but I'm not sure I like the way it looks.  

The steel beams and 4x4's  might be the ticket but I'm not sure it's any cheaper  than the pavers. 

Anyone with experience have any input?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by max power

I built a wall of similar size out of the interlocking bricks in a weekend.  Wasn't too bad to do. Just had Lowes deliver the bricks. Take time on the first row to make sure it is level then put contractors glue on the top of each row as you.  Except the top row of course, that would look retarded.

For raised decks, etc. It's best to put the treated lumber on a concrete pillar. Better support for sure.

I dont see where there would be a problem for retaining walls, the load is lateral. I remember growing up, dad sunk posts all the time for fences etc...it's been 20+ years since then and those posts are all still there. Solid as the day they were put in.

Good luck getting a Gabion wall to look that good too.  Typically,  a piling wall would be kind of expensive due to the steel,  and having to drive them down with a piece of equipment.   Do you have enough room to grade the area back,  maybe to a 1:1.5 slope?   

12 minutes ago, Ron505 said:

Good luck getting a Gabion wall to look that good too.  Typically,  a piling wall would be kind of expensive due to the steel,  and having to drive them down with a piece of equipment.   Do you have enough room to grade the area back,  maybe to a 1:1.5 slope?   

The reason I ask is because we just had to figure out an inexpensive way to stabilize a steep slope at one of my job sites recently.  Good place for snakes and what not though.

IMG_1642.jpg

IMG_1742.jpg

Edited by Ron505

8 hours ago, Ron505 said:

No. I'be got some half ass pics. No good ones of the overall, but you get the idea. 

New siding in doors are going in as we speak, which is why  i'm trying to find an inexpensive option besides the shitty railroad ties. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

6 hours ago, dustinsn3485 said:

Here's the wall I built...it's not quite 3 feet at the tall end. I'd have get exact dimensions...

2016-09-30_07-23-31.jpg

I like the look of this but I'm curious how long it will last. I'm 46 now and probably going to be carried out of this place in a box so I don't want to have to replace it when I'm 70 

11 minutes ago, max power said:

No. I'be got some half ass pics. No good ones of the overall, but you get the idea. 

New siding in doors are going in as we speak, which is why  i'm trying to find an inexpensive option besides the shitty railroad ties. 

That is pretty ugly.

Do you really want that entire are raised to the level of the patio? Smaller would be cheaper and/or less effort.

The stacked concrete walls would be affordable if you made the area smaller then sloped the yard up to the small, short wall. That should be something that could be do-it-yourself. Just make sure to put good drainage behind the wall and a firm foundation if you want it to last.

Craig

Has to be same height as patio because my entire property is sloped and the rain runs the dirt down to the lower level and over top of the wall.   I'm draining off probably three or 4 acres up the hill from me so there's lots of water moving to the property when it rains  

Will definitely need drainage. 

4 hours ago, max power said:

I like the look of this but I'm curious how long it will last. I'm 46 now and probably going to be carried out of this place in a box so I don't want to have to replace it when I'm 70 

That's one I can't answer. I expect it to last awhile.

My opinion, your next best option, DIY, is a cinderblock wall, using 8x8x16's. I'd guess about $1000 for 36" tall x 15-20 lateral feet. Just want to be sure there is a good footing and places for drainage as well as good anchors into the retaining dirt.