2017 Honda CRF250L Rally

Casper

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2016 at 8:42 AM, flashesbuck said:

I had a 250L dual sport... and thought it was just a little shy on power. Really had to ride it hard to get it up on the highway. Wish they would have just jumped the engine size to 300cc with the rest of the family. 

I REALLY wanted to like this bike (great looks, reliability, seat height for mortals, 2.7 gal tank and reasonable price), but I think you're spot on with the 300cc observation.  First, it's heavy at 350 lbs wet whereas a WR250R is 50 lbs lighter.  Why couldn't they have bored it out just a little to get more oomph, even if it added another 15 lbs?  At 350, they're only 25 lbs shy of a DR650 bush pig, which has almost twice the power, comfort and equal seat height and ground clearance; plus you can get lightly used ones all day long for $3-4k and have a vast aftermarket at the ready for the obligatory farkleitis that follows.

2 hours ago, smccrory said:

I REALLY wanted to like this bike (great looks, reliability, seat height for mortals, 2.7 gal tank and reasonable price), but I think you're spot on with the 300cc observation.  First, it's heavy at 350 lbs wet whereas a WR250R is 50 lbs lighter.  Why couldn't they have bored it out just a little to get more oomph, even if it added another 15 lbs?  At 350, they're only 25 lbs shy of a DR650 bush pig, which has almost twice the power, comfort and equal seat height and ground clearance; plus you can get lightly used ones all day long for $3-4k and have a vast aftermarket at the ready for the obligatory farkleitis that follows.

Until the DR is fuel injected, it's not on my radar. I had a DR650. I hate carbs and have vowed to never own another carb'd vehicle. 

• Upvote 1

I had a WR250...decent bike but in order to get the power you need from it, you need to really rev it.

I don't know why none of the Japanese builders make a fuel injected dual sport bike > 250cc. The XR650L hasn't been updated since 1993, the DR hasn't had a major update in a good 15 years (or the DRZ either). I keep waiting for Yamaha to dual sport the WR450 but they never do. I'd rather have FI as well.

If you want an FI dual sport, you might as well just get a KTM, Husky, Husaberg, etc.

I finally got the carb dialed in on my XRL and it runs strong...fun to ride. Had I found a nice used one before I got the XRL, I probably would've gotten a KTM 690 Enduro.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Casper said:

Until the DR is fuel injected, it's not on my radar. I had a DR650. I hate carbs and have vowed to never own another carb'd vehicle. 

I understand, and I also would like a lightweight trail bike that's street-legal for only a small weight penalty, and has FI.  Right now, the WR250R is the best "value" in town for that purpose but it's still expensive, hard to find used and reputedly buzzy on the highway.  KTMs and Betas are lighter, have more power, but are even more expensive.

I was hoping the CRF250L Rally would be The One but at 350lbs, it is a lot of weight for a 250cc FI engine, let alone one detuned by Honda for greater reliability.  My $1500 1991 XR250L bored out to 280cc and re-carbed and piped produces similar power, but at 50 lbs lighter, I bet the Rally will feel weaker.  My XRL is far less pleasant to kickstart cold, but I can't see spending thousands more for something I'm going to thrash in Wayne anyway, and for longer trips, I still love my V-Strom 650 ABS.

I've had my DR650 for 18 months and remain impressed.  I've replaced the seat cover, added optional Wolfman bags and a tail shelf, better pegs, lower sprocket, bars and a few other farkles, and it's pretty comfortable up to 6-8 hours of riding.  With aggressive tires and luggable tractor-like torque, it does pretty well in single-track - just don't do wicked jumps or expect to fling it around like a college cheerleader.

Joe, that KTM 690 remains on my list as a potential replacement for my DR and XRL, but damn they're tall to a 30" inseam.  I'm also musing the idea of a Zero FX electric motorcycle or a very lightweight conventional woods-only bike and trailer.

1 hour ago, smccrory said:

Joe, that KTM 690 remains on my list as a potential replacement for my DR and XRL, but damn they're tall to a 30" inseam.  I'm also musing the idea of a Zero FX electric motorcycle or a very lightweight conventional woods-only bike and trailer.

I have a 30" inseam as well...even the XR is a little high for me when mounting if I don't step up on the pegs first but once I'm on, the suspension sags enough to let me touch comfortably. One of the reasons I got the XR over the DR is longer suspension travel...plus I use it for more off-road than road but otherwise it was a toss up.

I stopped in Cadre Cycle here Saturday to drop off my Tenere who is getting new shoes and a saw a super clean, very nicely modded DR out front. Looked like it had the suspension all re-done, Heidenau k60 tires, bigger tank, etc. IIt was SHARP. It was out with their used bikes and I was kinda hoping it was for sale. I asked about it when I went in and it belongs to one of the mechanics there. :(

• Upvote 1