Road Atlanta 4/15-4/16

Jester_

7 hours ago, blue03636 said:

Looking that way. For the price I will give them a shot.

Imo Dunlop is maybe a better track day tire as it seems to hold pace longer than the Pirelli. No way can it match the pace of a new Pirelli but as they wear I think the Dunlop is quicker.  The Pirelli is more predictable however which is why I run them. Predictable maybe isn't the right word.... but they react more slowly than the Dunlop. 

25 minutes ago, Jester_ said:

Imo Dunlop is maybe a better track day tire as it seems to hold pace longer than the Pirelli. No way can it match the pace of a new Pirelli but as they wear I think the Dunlop is quicker.  The Pirelli is more predictable however which is why I run them. Predictable maybe isn't the right word.... but they react more slowly than the Dunlop. 

We will find out, I have both ready for Road A. The rear tire life kills me on the Pirelli but I don't think the others will last any longer. For my pace I have ran a Pirelli to a slick and still held my normal pace.

Just now, ludwb675 said:

I was already leaning toward Q3's this year. Ran Superbike Pro's the last 3 years without warmers. But have warmers for this year. 

That'll be even better. I ran Q3's last year with no warmers. I didnt run into any moments that I wasnt already asking for lol. I have a pretty good feel for those tires though with as many street miles I've put on them.

Looking forward to slicks and warmers this year, I'm going to win every track day.

4 hours ago, durk said:

What kind of street mileage did you get out of Q3s Tim? How fast did you burn through them on the track?

I'm not exactly sure to be honest. I loved the tire and really never bothered to compare it or switch to anything else once I landed on it. So I never payed real attention to milage. For me, the confidence I had on that tire was worth the cost. I replaced when the center got "close" but never ever completely worn flat. On the track I had a tendency to replace before some people would. I put 4 days on the front and swapped two rears between in that time. I was only gonna replace the front at the beginning of this year so I had a baseline but I sold the bike. The first rear and the front had the deals gap trip on them before any of the track days. I was gonna sell the rear as a take off. It still had good meat in the middle and decent tread on the sides.

Since you have a 1000, and you ride at a good clip, you may wear a rear faster than my little daytona would have. I say worst you can do it try em. They are pretty cheap for what they are. Very good bang for buck. But if you are looking for good performance on the street but some longevity I heard the Angel GT was great. Others can chime in on that tire as I've never ridden it but I can attest that it'll go faster than I am lol. *cough* @Tpoppa *cough*

Thanks for the input Tim. It's time for new tires and I think I'm going to give the Q3s a shot. I was running Pilot Road 2s and got about 5000 miles out of them. I think the Q3s are close to the same price. I'm just wondering what to expect for longevity. I guess time will tell. 

49 minutes ago, durk said:

Thanks for the input Tim. It's time for new tires and I think I'm going to give the Q3s a shot. I was running Pilot Road 2s and got about 5000 miles out of them. I think the Q3s are close to the same price. I'm just wondering what to expect for longevity. I guess time will tell. 

I've run 2CT's and Pilot Road 3's both will last longer, but like I said, I didnt care how long the Q's lasted because of how well I meshed with the tire.

You may end up in the same boat where you like em so much you wont care. Sorry I coudn't give you exact numbers.

@TimTheAzn no worries about exact numbers. I was just curious if you knew. I had already pretty much made up my mind on giving the Q3s a shot. I know you and @jacobhawkins speak highly of them and I plan to do some of the same things both of you did last year with both street and track use.  

On 2/10/2017 at 8:05 AM, durk said:

I'll probably only get 2 or 3 track days out of the Q3 rear on my 75-ish horsepower bike. The Q3's wear faster than the pilot power 3's did and I only get 2500 or so miles out of a PP3 rear street riding. The Q3's are sticky as hell though, I like em. 

I have some bridgestone R10 takeoffs I'm going to try when the Q3 is done. 

Edited by what