'14 Daytona overheating

jacobhawkins

1 hour ago, jacobhawkins said:

Small dent and missing paint on the right side.  Hoping some grip pads will cover it.  I didn't yell at her, but damnit...

As IP said good man and smart man. I've been there. Last year shortly after I swapped out the plastic on my bike my daughters' 4H advisor stopped by to have them sign some papers. She placed her folder on top of my tank and as she was shuffling through it I could hear the dust and grit writing her name in it. By the time I thought to say something it was too late. I know my eyes about popped out of my head but I never said anything and just buffed out what I could and called it good. 

• Upvote 1

Well a coolant line got sliced by the chain when I put the countershaft cover back on.  Ran extremely low on coolant.  I just topped off the resivoir, it wasn't totally dry and never popped the cap on the radiator to check the level.  We'll see how bad I fucked this up when the line gets replaced and thrown on the dyno.  Ouch.  Breath deep, it's just a toy, it's just a toy...

2 minutes ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

There ya go.

Step one when cooling system is failing: check cooling system. 

Thought I had when I checked the reservoir.  As tagged, I'm a dumbass.  I'm looking for new engines now...

Edited by jacobhawkins
  • Upvote 1

Hope nothing was damaged. I've been where you are. I rebuilt a quad top and bottom end because a rod bearing went and never tightened the cam gear down. So I got to redo some of my work and throw more money at it. The said gear came off, wadded up the timing chain and that new shiny piston smacked the valves. Was not 1 of my brightest moments. To top it off I think I broke my helmet when I got off my machine and tossed it 30ft in the air. At least you've kept your cool. Good luck man.  I'll be praying it all comes out to be nothing other than a hose replacement. 

1 hour ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Your engine is fine, Jacob. No harm done with such small doses of heat. It's always the dumb stuff that stumps us because we create far larger problems in our minds. 

I feel ya.  Just like my troubleshooting of an oil leak caused by loosing count and dumping too much oil in the bike.  Had a "DUH!" moment when I checked the oil level with somebody holding the bike upright.

At least you didn't pull your oil drain plug on the side of the freeway hours from home because you thought there was too much in it even though you just rode it for 1500 miles that way. And that wasn't even what was wrong with it.

Not me...just say'n

3 hours ago, durk said:

I'd tell you, you should have stuck with Honda but I remember your Honda shot a bolt at your ankle. So I guess maybe it's just your luck :dunno:

1 hour ago, Isaac's Papa said:

He also broke Isabella. #neverforget

Both Japan and Euro bikes are angry at him, guess all that's left is Harley. Take pics at Sturgis for us. 

Edited by what
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just talked to JD, "it's peachy".  He replaced the hose and ran it on the dyno for a minute and nothing bad happened.  New oil and it's getting the real tune soon.  Looking forward to getting it back but I've had some time to play with the xr, so it's all good.

• Upvote 1

On 1/24/2017 at 4:07 PM, TRMN8TR said:

All is well! Eventually I'm going to have to quit using this baby as an excuse not to get work done on the bike or I won't be riding at all in 2017. 

Good luck with that. 

My only move to get ANYTHING done is to send the wife out with her friends a couple nights a week. Then when the weekend comes, she feels like she owes me garage or riding time.  

Edited by redkow97
  • Upvote 1