Concrete/masonry bubbies, get in here!

Gixxus Christ!

I will never wake up from my home improvement nightmare.

Long story short, we have a fireplace in our living room. We ripped out the carpet to put laminate over the old shitty hardwood. It was FUBAR. We put in a subfloor to try and get it flat. Still FUBAR. So we wave the white flag and get carpet installed. 

The subfloor is now above the hearth of the fireplace. Entire fireplace including the hearth is done in cobblestone. Wife wants the hearth above the carpet. 

Do I form and pour? What then? Wtf do I do? Pics to follow.

If you're after a real fireplace get a pro.  I've no idea how many homes here have burned because someone did not know what/how to do it right.

If you're just looking for a heat source, I'd go with an insert with blowers.  I have a woodburner downstairs (basement) with auxiliary blowers and can heat the whole house with it.  For those wanting the view of burning logs they have them with glass doors.  Mine does not have glass doors; a screened in frame keeps sparks, ash and flaming logs in.  Nothing like a roaring flame in a darkened room to get panties off... :D

11 minutes ago, Wandering Soul said:

If you're after a real fireplace get a pro.  I've no idea how many homes here have burned because someone did not know what/how to do it right.

If you're just looking for a heat source, I'd go with an insert with blowers.  I have a woodburner downstairs (basement) with auxiliary blowers and can heat the whole house with it.  For those wanting the view of burning logs they have them with glass doors.  Mine does not have glass doors; a screened in frame keeps sparks, ash and flaming logs in.  Nothing like a roaring flame in a darkened room to get panties off... :D

Did you even read the post?

41 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Hire someone, ride your bike.

Out of money. 

Sounds to me like you're on the right track.  I'd make a shallow frame and use something like quickset mortar, or even the latex floor filler (you can buy this pre-mixed in a can but would be pricey) to create a flat surface at whatever height you desire above the sub-floor.  Then simply lay down ceramic tile, marble, natural stone to finish for appearance.  If you're really worried about "flat" use the concrete underlayment boards--they used to come in 3' x 5' size and either 1/4" or 3/8" thickness--before you install the tile/stone.  Whatever finish material you choose, be cautious about how fragile it is, i.e., ceramic tile, as you may end up with cracks if you drop a piece of wood on the hearth.

Yes I did.  What I got is you want to elevate the hearth.  The hearth is what the wood rests on and burns.  Unless you using gas logs, not just any material is suitable.  It has to withstand some intense heat.  Otherwise it'll crack so choose the stuff you'll use carefully.  And some sort of barrier between the wood of the subfloor and it that will insulate it from the heat.  Trust me; you do NOT want a housefire.

WS:  Maybe I'm reading it wrong, too, but I was assuming he was referring to the area in front of the firebox that's typically flush with the floor and made out of non-combustible material to keep sparks at bay.  If he' referring to the firebox itself, don't take my advice...

Unsure if I want to lift just the hearth or the hearth and firebox. We don't use the fireplace, wife is convinced we will have a chimney fire and die. Was thinking leveling concrete would work, but I have most of an 80# bag of high strength concrete already, I guess I could just make the form level and screed across it to give myself a good level base. 

Open to any other suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...