Go Pro Housing

TimTheAzn

So some of the tabs broke off of my GoPro3 housing last year and I'm looking to by another.

1st question I have is, should I go with a skeleton case or a sealed case? I'd like to capture some of the engine noise and don't want the wind to drown it out too much.

2nd question I have is, these damn cases are like $60 if I buy a GoPro branded one. Anyone have any luck with after market cases?

I have had really good luck avoiding wind noise using the chest-mount. It would seem the flyscreen on the streety deflects the wind just enough to go up and over the camera. 

Honestly if you want a good mic setup for engine noise, you should run a permanent wired mic down near your exhaust and plug it into the gopro. The onboard mic isn't the greatest and all of the research I've done on getting rid of wind noise puts the 1st party gopro foam cube (windslayer) at the top, but it's only good up to about 30mph then the wind gets loud again. You also can't use a case with the windslayer. 

On 3/5/2017 at 11:35 AM, DerekClouser said:

If you have a sena, you could do the GP-10 Sena Backpack... use the sena mic...

Do you own the backpack?  I bought one and have never been able to get more than 1 person audio to come in.  As soon as the 2nd person connects, audio cuts out completely on the vids...  We recorded a ton of video on our Canada trip last summer....all silence! :-(    

Any help is appreciated.

3 minutes ago, Qman said:

Do you own the backpack?  I bought one and have never been able to get more than 1 person audio to come in.  As soon as the 2nd person connects, audio cuts out completely on the vids...  We recorded a ton of video on our Canada trip last summer....all silence! :-(    

Any help is appreciated.

Yes, I own one. 

Make sure your phone isn't connected.  It can't handle both for some reason.  

Edited by DerekClouser

48 minutes ago, DerekClouser said:

Yes, I own one. 

Make sure your phone isn't connected.  It can't handle both for some reason.  

Thanks.  I believe we've tried that.  So far its been a complete waste of $.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2017 at 10:56 AM, TimTheAzn said:

So some of the tabs broke off of my GoPro3 housing last year and I'm looking to by another.

1st question I have is, should I go with a skeleton case or a sealed case? I'd like to capture some of the engine noise and don't want the wind to drown it out too much.

2nd question I have is, these damn cases are like $60 if I buy a GoPro branded one. Anyone have any luck with after market cases?

Heard good things about cheapbay stuff, never tried it so far but going to experiment with this year. But cheapbay housing and drill holes and cover with soft textured kids toy like cloths to minimize the wind. Full sealed cases might end up causing fogging issue.