Sena customer service SUCKS

thompsonian

Earlier this year, I bought a new Neotec and Sena 10U from @RidersDiscount. And let me just state for the record, that Mike has gone ABOVE AND BEYOND what any would expect from a company. Thanks for everything you've done good sir. It's not your fault these guys are asshats...

ANYWHO...get the unit installed and charged and immediately out of the box, the remote doesn't work. Doesn't hold a charge, doesn't do jack squat. Contact Mike, he says to contact Sena as that's what they want. Takes a few days for them to respond, and do the usual drivel of reset it, do what the manual says, yadda yadda yadda. So I finally get the RMA to send the remote back in for replacement under warranty. I end up having to harrass them for when it will be sent back as this was right at the time @JustinNck1 and I were heading down to Maggie Valley. Eventually they managed to get the remote to me the day before we left. And thankfully, this one worked as it should. 

Now let me also add that during this time I've been using the 10U without the remote. I'd only been getting at the most 6 hours of time before the battery shuts down. Now I know that is crap since lots of others have been getting double that easily. It gets to the point that while on our trip we have to pull off, plug it into a battery pack to charge for a bit, then unplug it to resume use. It gets old really fast.

So, when we get back, I make contact again with my displeasure of the terrible battery life stating how others are getting MUCH better results than I am. I get the run around of try a reset, maybe a wire is pinched, a real line of BS basically. Kept in contact with Mike, to where he made some phone calls himself and finally got it to where they will do another RMA for the entire unit. Again, this is not something that he had to do, but willingly did it of his own accord. He has my business for life now.

Get an email on 28th of June FINALLY saying a replacement will be shipped but gave no tracking info or anything. I wait. Emailed them yesterday stating I was curious as to when this will ship out since there was no tracking info attached. Get told that the 10U is now on backorder and they have no idea when it will ship. I'm getting pretty pissed. You pay good money for a product, hoping that it will work great like all the others do. Get maybe a couple months of use out of it and it is a total turd. Company is a pain in the ass to deal with. So if anyone else has to do a return with Sena for any reason..be prepared. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, thompsonian said:

Earlier this year, I bought a new Neotec and Sena 10U from @RidersDiscount. And let me just state for the record, that Mike has gone ABOVE AND BEYOND what any would expect from a company. Thanks for everything you've done good sir. It's not your fault these guys are asshats...

ANYWHO...get the unit installed and charged and immediately out of the box, the remote doesn't work. Doesn't hold a charge, doesn't do jack squat. Contact Mike, he says to contact Sena as that's what they want. Takes a few days for them to respond, and do the usual drivel of reset it, do what the manual says, yadda yadda yadda. So I finally get the RMA to send the remote back in for replacement under warranty. I end up having to harrass them for when it will be sent back as this was right at the time @JustinNck1 and I were heading down to Maggie Valley. Eventually they managed to get the remote to me the day before we left. And thankfully, this one worked as it should. 

Now let me also add that during this time I've been using the 10U without the remote. I'd only been getting at the most 6 hours of time before the battery shuts down. Now I know that is crap since lots of others have been getting double that easily. It gets to the point that while on our trip we have to pull off, plug it into a battery pack to charge for a bit, then unplug it to resume use. It gets old really fast.

So, when we get back, I make contact again with my displeasure of the terrible battery life stating how others are getting MUCH better results than I am. I get the run around of try a reset, maybe a wire is pinched, a real line of BS basically. Kept in contact with Mike, to where he made some phone calls himself and finally got it to where they will do another RMA for the entire unit. Again, this is not something that he had to do, but willingly did it of his own accord. He has my business for life now.

Get an email on 28th of June FINALLY saying a replacement will be shipped but gave no tracking info or anything. I wait. Emailed them yesterday stating I was curious as to when this will ship out since there was no tracking info attached. Get told that the 10U is now on backorder and they have no idea when it will ship. I'm getting pretty pissed. You pay good money for a product, hoping that it will work great like all the others do. Get maybe a couple months of use out of it and it is a total turd. Company is a pain in the ass to deal with. So if anyone else has to do a return with Sena for any reason..be prepared. 

I just sent my 10U back for the 2nd time.  It is the biggest piece of shit that I have ever purchased.  I offered to pay to switch it to the 20s, but they have refused.  I may be purchasing another unit, so I can have something reliable (especially if mine is also stuck on back order).

Sena's customer service is horrible.   Like you, I purchased mine from Mike.  Maybe, I should have asked him to help switch my units. 

15 hours ago, Connie14 said:

I just sent my 10U back for the 2nd time.  It is the biggest piece of shit that I have ever purchased.  I offered to pay to switch it to the 20s, but they have refused.  I may be purchasing another unit, so I can have something reliable (especially if mine is also stuck on back order).

Sena's customer service is horrible.   Like you, I purchased mine from Mike.  Maybe, I should have asked him to help switch my units. 

That is who I went to the first time. He told me to go thru Sena, as that is what they requested. And when I contacted Sena, they asked if I went thru the retailer I bought it from. Gave me a HUGE run around on the remote. And then when the headset started acting up, I contacted Mike and he got involved. I still had to go the Sena, but I know he barked pretty high up the tree with my level of dissatisfaction. 

Luckily I still have my SMH10 ...somewhere. Guess I'll just go back to it, although it was suggested that I tell them I want the 20s in return for the crappy 10U. And with my Neotec, that is the whole reason I went with the 10U in the first place.

Update: Had a phone conversation with the rep for Sena today. Getting a new unit drop shipped to me. Should have it tomorrow or Monday. Again, HUGE thanks to Mike @RidersDiscount for following up and basically being the attack dog on this. He's been up their ass about the shitshow and has been super professional and just all around kick ass!

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Literally just had to deal with Sena Customer service and I'll back the fact that they are terrible. 

Went through some rain and my Sena 20S stopped working.  Contacted them for warranty replacement and they said the 20S control module is on back order, but the full 20S kit is not.  I asked why they couldn't go into the box and just remove the module and send it out instead of having to wait for the 20S to come out of back order.  They refused.  

So now I have to pull the entire system out of my helmet (which takes several attempts to get them perfectly placed) so I don't have to wait for a back ordered items. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/8/2017 at 1:04 PM, DerekClouser said:

Literally just had to deal with Sena Customer service and I'll back the fact that they are terrible. 

Went through some rain and my Sena 20S stopped working.  Contacted them for warranty replacement and they said the 20S control module is on back order, but the full 20S kit is not.  I asked why they couldn't go into the box and just remove the module and send it out instead of having to wait for the 20S to come out of back order.  They refused.  

So now I have to pull the entire system out of my helmet (which takes several attempts to get them perfectly placed) so I don't have to wait for a back ordered items. 

I had an issue with my Sena 20S dual pack. Intercom range would drop within like 200 feet, had latest firmware and did factory reset, nothing helped. My old smh10's had way better range.

Sena customer service is the worst ive ever experienced by far for any product ever in my 31 years of being alive. I emailed with them back and fourth for about a month for this issue. They kept purposely asking open ended redundant questions and took a day for each response. Like they are extremely ignorant or do it on purpose hoping u get frustrated and give up, well I'm no quitter my friend!

Once I got them to agree (again about 1 month after my initial contact with them) they agreed to send me brand new units but only after I sent my old ones in first, I told them to kiss my ass. Knowing they were on backorder, so then they agreed to just ship me new ones first when they came into stock.

Fast forward 2 months later, still no headsets. I emailed them every week. Finally I got super pissed and asked a supervisor contact me. In fact asked a total of 5 times and 2 weeks past and I got the run around. I then opened a BBB complaint. The company never responded to my dispute and due to that their rating dropped to a C I believe.

I then ended up calling Sena myself, fumming fucking mad, being that crazy belligerent customer. They somehow found a way to get me new headsets mailed out by the next day.

Here's the kicker...just got the new set...range is equally as terrible. Not even close to the claimed 1+ mile com range. I contacted those fuckers again and they are sending me another new set.

I'm speechless at this point.

Edited by silentcropduster
  • Beer 2

I regularly ride with 4 others with Sena 20S units and we're all frustrated.  One rider has been through hell and back trying to get his hardware and software issues worked out and Sena has been of little help.  Mine have been reasonably stable but the range isn't great and each software version seems to be random on whether it helps or hurts.  We regularly hear "beat boxing" when someone gets on the edge of range, barely 200 feet away, and that includes anyone in the chain.  Speaking of chains, two riders works OK.  Three is usually straightforward, but 4 and 5 riders can be a hot mess, even when we're careful to pair up in the order we ride in.

I heard today that Sena issued a cease and desist letter to a Facebook group admin who's been collecting experiences, trying to apply pressure to Sena about their bad QC.  Talk about digging a hole for themselves.

The way I look at it, they have a window.  Fix what they’ve got as best as they can, provide upgrade discounts and make an ultra-reliable next gen product to sweep this all behind them.  And do it before someone else eats their lunch...

In my experience, 2 person intercom on the 20S works fantastically. But add one more person, and the quality dips a LOT, and there's guaranteed popcorn interference. It gets worse with more people, and then out of the blue some people will get disconnected, put into a separate group chat, and MAYBE reconnected. Hopefully they fix that with the 30K unit, although I certainly won't be dropping that kind of dough for an upgrade I won't be able to take advantage of with everyone else still using the 20S. I've seen several places where people complain about Sena's customer service, so I was pleasantly surprised when I got pretty straightforward help after scuba diving with mine in a few rainstorms on Tonik's SE Ohio ride a while ago. I told them I got caught riding in the rain 4 hours from home, which had never been an issue plenty of times before, and this time my Sena gave up the ghost. They asked for some basic information, and I had an RMA number that day. Took a while to get the replacement, but at no cost to me. Sucks to see others not getting the same treatment. Sena has a great product (when it works) and a large market share, so I hope they stick with a product designed for riders by riders and not a company designed for money by sellouts.

2 years and 30,000 miles my 10U still works like a champ (Knock on wood). I know several people who have had issues with Sena though. I had an issue with my SMH10 way back when and I just called them after getting tired of waiting for the email/online support. Everything taken care of quickly.

My second 10U is working well.  I wanted to switch to the 20S when my first 10U failed.  After reading these comments on the 20S, I am glad they didn't let me change to the 20S.

Sena used to be the best product on the market.  If there products keep having issues, somebody else will step up with a better product.

If it wasn't for the 10U being made for my helmet I'd have kept using my SMH10. As it is, I recently upgraded the firmware in it and surprise....back to 6 hours talk time....I also got an email asking about the customer service I got....they're gonna get an earful..or I guess an eyefull

FYI: Sena will be at the AIM show pushing their new 30K model and "Mesh" networking feature.  Might not be a bad idea to swing by their booth and (respectfully) tell them about what we've been experiencing.  Believe me, what the trade show reps get as feedback this weekend will definitely get back to Corporate.