Place to get bike keys made

progrmr

I need to get a set made, but the local hardware store looked at me like I had 3 heads when I asked for a set.

Where to get some bike keys made w/o breaking the bank??

Can be somewhere out of town too - be a nice excuse for a ride!

I had to go to some guy in Anderson for my CBR. Some bikes have to use a certain key to make it from.

when i went to walmart, he asked me what make, and he had a little box with all sorts of blank keys. OP do you have a set you need copied? or do you need a key made?

There are a few ways to get a key cut. The best thing to do is to have a set made when you recieve your OEM (plastic/rubber) key. Keep that key for an original and use copies. The more copies of a copy you get made, the less accurate the key would become until you cant use it any more. When you loose your keys you can get a locksmith to make a key from your ignition. You can also take the key code and use that to look up the pattern in a book and cut a new OEM key. This usually costs a good amount of money. You can find your key code in the ignition and lock cylinders of most bikes. My EX250 had the code punched in my key also.

I got 3 copies of my key made the other day for like 6 bucks or somethig. maybe 8. They (An experianced locksmith) did not have the blank for my friends 650R. Sometimes you need to get the blank from a dealership and then have it cut. But the bottom line is that unless you loose all your keys, you shouldnt pay to have a code key cut. It will always be more expensive than gettin a copy of an existing one. Not to mention, that unless you know your key code from when you bought the bike, it may be a pain to retrieve it. On my Ninja 250 it was easy, right behind the seat lock. On my honda though, you need to go into the trunk key cylinder or the ignition.

Remember to always check all keys in all locks to make sure the key works.