What is Drifting?

Farkas

Found this video online that explains a little about drifting and what it is and about. maybe this will help you guys understand a little better why so many people are finding this such and exciting motor activity.

http://www.g4tv.com/mediaplayer/index.aspx?video_key=9071

[ 26. April 2005, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: Andy F. ]

Originally posted by Andy F.:

Found this video online that explains a little about drifting and what it is and about. maybe this will help you guys understand a little better why so many people are finding this such and exciting motor activity.

Yeah, umm... what video?

ummm everyone understands it, but it took some import jdm yo people to put a new spin on it for the young fast and furious people to think it was totally awesome and the current hotness so all of the high school people could think they are into a new scene

high school yuppies drift

rednecks power slide

everyone who is into real racing tries to keep traction

real drifting and people who can actually do it well is really amazing to watch and it is even more amazing at level of control they posses on their cars. it's defenetly not some redneck in a civic pullin his e-brake in the rain. and drifting realy isn't so much "real racing" as it trying to better understand to control your car. I don't mean to bash, im just sayin

Guest buckeyefarmboy
Originally posted by Car Enthusiast:

high school yuppies drift

rednecks power slide

everyone who is into real racing tries to keep traction[/QB]

AMEN to the power slide i still say any good dirt tracker like Kinser or Mike Balzano would whup these rice boys any day

Originally posted by farmboy:

any good dirt tracker like Kinser or Mike Balzano would whup these rice boys any day

Rofl... no. Put one of those guys in a D1 event, they wouldn't make the cut.

Guest mudbutt
Originally posted by 86 Eh?:

People speak of drifting as it is some elite activity that is a feat of motoring. saying a PROFESSIONAL driver who goes LAPS sideways wouldn't make the cut is asinine. They know how to control a car when it is sideways. Getting it there isnt hard. I have enough torque to give you a simple example. Why then could these professional drivers Not survive in the esoteric society of drift? It is just like when people say Nascar drivers can not run a road course. Jeff gorden has proven himself just as skilled when right turns are involved. Many drivers are in the sport they are in for money Nascar is king in the us and most lower levels aim at that goal. They dont avoid D1 because they lack the skill, teeth, or retarded clothing, but because that isnt a smart career move in the US.

P.S. I also dislike nascar, just making a point.

[ 28. April 2005, 03:51 AM: Message edited by: Mud Butt ]

Originally posted by Mud Butt:

People speak of drifting as it is some elite activity that is a feat of motoring. saying a PROFESSIONAL driver who goes LAPS sideways wouldn't make the cut is asinine. They know how to control a car when it is sideways. Getting it there isnt hard. I have enough torque to give you a simple example. Why then could these professional drivers Not survive in the esoteric society of drift?

Because what they do isn't drifting, its powersliding. The difference is a feat of braking, as apposed to a feat of throttle. I can drift an FWD car, yet cant maintain it.

Drifting is not a sport. Judged like figure skating, its an abomination. What is a drift? Its a way to avoid spinning the car and losing too much lap time when racing. Its a way to get through a gravel or snow turn fast without letting the engine revs drop. Drifting a car is fun, but it is not a sport.

After many winters of rwd cars, it is second nature. I've drifted the entire course at mid ohio, it was fun, but is not a means to any end.

If you want to make drifting a sport, here is the formula:

GT series, stock based cars.

RWD only

Max weight of 2500 lbs

Min rwtq of 300 lb ft

Locked rear end

Spec tire, super hard.

YOPu set it up so the cars dont get traction, therefore correction by counter steering, AKA drifting, is a neccesity.

Originally posted by 86 Eh?:

Dude WTF these guys drive a car that weighs much less than a drift car, on a surface with less grip AND it is less steady since the texture changes AND the the car has somewhere along the line of 700 horse power. These guys don't even use the brakes, they stear with the throttle. These guys could do it and well except they have grown up and most likely can't stand the "OMG dude yo check it ! Yo thats tight yo yo yo" Crap

Originally posted by buckeye:

Dude WTF these guys drive a car that weighs much less than a drift car, on a surface with less grip AND it is less steady since the texture changes AND the the car has somewhere along the line of 700 horse power. These guys don't even use the brakes, they stear with the throttle. These guys could do it and well except they have grown up and most likely can't stand the "OMG dude yo check it ! Yo thats tight yo yo yo" Crap

Incorrect, initiating a drift on pavement is different then causing a powerslide on dirt. Turst me, I've done both, many times. tongue.gif