What do bad cat convertors sound like??

CJINOHIO03

Guest nevarmore
Originally posted by still2high:

it might be your heat sheild. i might be wrong on this but when cats go bad i think they cease up and wont let any pressure through. may be wrong tho.

Good call on the heat shield, check the simple stuff first and all that.

Cats can go bad and have two symptoms, a rattling noise or clogging. The rattling means that something flew down the exhaust and broke the inside of the cat. A couple of good hard impacts on the outside of the cat will break the insides up too.

A cat can clog if the car is out of tune or has been modfied upstream of the cat. If the cat doesn't get hot enough the stuff its supposed to catalyzie out will just end up sticking to it.

CJ: Since you don't have to E-Check in Columbus (lucky bastard), take the cat off and hollow it out or replace it with a piece of pipe. Don't waste your time and money futzing around with it.

Originally posted by Rotary Jihad:

Good call on the heat shield, check the simple stuff first and all that.

CJ: Since you don't have to E-Check in Columbus (lucky bastard), take the cat off and hollow it out or replace it with a piece of pipe. Don't waste your time and money futzing around with it.

thanks for clearfying (sp) that for me.. i do believe that the E-Check will be coming to Columbus in the near future. could be wrond but i would do some research, so you can save money later down the road.