new stang tranny

DeathSandwich

I didn't know that ford was still using a T5 in anything. If they are I would assume it would come in the V6 versions and the 3650 comes in the GT's. The T5 was the trans that was used in the Fox body mustangs and early SN95's. It was replaced by the T45 in 96 and then that was replaced by the TR3650 in 2001. The 3650 has a completely different design and a higher tq capcity. Ford had a problem with inproper fluid use in the 3650's and bad syncros untill the problem was fixed for the 2004 model GT's. People who had a problematic 3650 are getting them fixed right now under a TSB that is being carried out on a warranty basis.

The updated 3650 is supposed to be a good trans. With a factory TQ rating of 360lbs. Many will see number up as high as 500 and live long lives. The T5 was a good trans in it's time but is prone to breaking under heavy load. Most people with a fox body have swapped a tranny at least once.

I couldn't find any info on fords website stating if the were in fact using a T5 in the V6 cars but the GT's come with the 3650 for sure.

Both transmissions are made by Tremec AKA TTC.

not a good tranny? compared to what? it was only bad if you were putting 800 ft/lbs through the stock components,...

World Class T5 trannies were "world class" for a reason,... they werent nothing to sneez at

now of course there is always a better option out there, but their purpose the T5 was a great tranny

yes.. i had a t5 in my 94 cobra and i loved it. never had problems and it shifted nicely every time, i just didn't know they used it anymore and that's what threw me off. and i was pricing a gt.. but the way the site is set up sucks, b/c you have to select everything at once.. then give your info so a dealership can call you... i hate that.. i wish they could just give me an f'n price

I'm on my second 3650 in the Mach, and the syncro to second is gone so time for a third one within a year. Any stock 5spd tranny that is shifted hard by someone who can drive will break. As for t-5's being a good tranny ha them things break with gears and exhaust if you powershift them.