Uppipe install on a '05 LGT - need help with a leak (long)

Maro

Hey guys... thought one of you on here could help me out. Saturday, I pulled everthing apart and installed a new cat-less uppipe on my LGT. The dealer did not have any gaskets available, but I have heard others re-use gaskets. Mine looked really good, so I gave it a try. Everything went well and I took the car out for a test drive.

Now for the problem..... Under boost, there is a loud shrill whine (like a COBRA supercharger). Starts under load just as boost comes up and stays there steady until you lift off the throttle. graemlins/wtf.gif

My understanding is that this is probably an uppipe flange leak. I do not know what flange it is or how to determine that. I did find, however, that I torqued some of the flanges in the wrong order.

SO......today I went out and pulled everything apart again and started over. I used spray copper sealant on the gaskets when reassembling and followed the torque procedures very closely.

The result.... I STILL HAVE A LEAK! ARGH! graemlins/doh.gif

So, I am ordering a full set of Subaru gaskets tonight to prepare for re-doing the work once again.

Could any of you offer any advice? I would be happy to have someone else listen to this (who knows more about Subies and turbo motors). PLEASE!!! I could use some help with this diagnosis.....

Thanks,

Steve

Did nothing with the boost. Everything is still factory, except for the uppipe. I know that sometimes an uppipe can raise boost, but im my case, the boost is still controlled by the ECU. Others have done this mod without any compressor issues (same as WRX and STI's).

I don't have a gauge in the car right now (plan to add one in the future).

[ 21. November 2004, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: Maro ]

Originally posted by SHIEF:

When you put the gasket on, use ATV silicon. You'd think that it wouldn't work with heat, but somehow it works on exhausts.

Yes and LET IT SET! It has to cure for at least 6 hrs for it to seal properly and stay flexable.

If it sounds like a tea kettle it is a leak, Some people have doubled gaskets. What up-pipe did you buy? Yours may not be bent corectly. I could help after work if you need some. Give me a call 614-403-3396 I would try and stay away from any spray sealent, Subaru is not to cool to deal with when something happens. I'm taking my STI back this wed to have them replace my right speaker which is blown and I don't listen to loud music. We will see what they say. On my 02 My seat frayed bad within 2000 miles of owning the car and they claimed wear and tear! graemlins/doh.gif

Sorry to hear it.... I have heard that some others have had bogus warranty denials. Oh well....

I appreciate your offer. I would like a better informed person to give it a listen for their opinion. I'll give ya a call sometime.

A tea kettle sound is accurate. I couldn't think of a way to describe it, but that is perfect! The pipe is an ERZ unit. I was re-using the OEM gaskets, which might be most of the problem. I have a full set of Subie gaskets on order, then I plan on trying it again.

[ 23. November 2004, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: Maro ]

find a way to pressurize the system, thats what i did with my car in order to find a boost leak.

for a very elemental system i found a aerosol can cap the size of my turbo inlet, drilled a hole and pulled a tire valve stem through, then used my air compressor and ran about 30 psi through it.

still couldn't find it so i modified the system so i could take off the IC off the top of the ending and still pressurize the system.

http://www.columbusracing.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=19;t=002354

let me know if you need more help, i might be able to help you out or take pics of my "improved" system for u. hope this helps.

Well... pulled it apart tonight and found that the lower up-pipe flange had been leaking. There was soot all over the one side of the gasket.

Went to put my new gaskets on and found the problem. The bottom flange is cut wrong and the hole is not centered on the OEM gasket. ARGH! Now I need to figure out how I am going to address this...

Looks like my only option is to put it together with the crappy gaskets that came with the up-pipe. At least I know what the problem is now....

I would really like to get a hold of a gutted Subaru up-pipe and use that! Anyone have one handy!?!? :D

something you may want to check is your intercooler hoses. i know that sounds odd, but if you removed the ic to get to the turbo and up, its real easy to forget to tighten them up to spec, or to not get the worm clamps fully over the lip of the turbor or intake manifold.

failing that, take it to byers out east, i absolutely love their service dept.

edit: DOH! just read your last. talk to kelly, with the yellow wrx. i believe hes got a catless up thatll fit your car.

There is no turbo to IC hose on the Legacy, Orion... the IC bolts directly to the turbo outlet. The other is tight....

What is Kelly's screen name?

Slow69... yeah... I am working on it tomorrow after work....

Can't you just bang the cat out of yours? Yes, I know, pain in the ass, but it should work. Some of the fastest guys with S4's are running stock down pipes with the cats out of them. While others have $$$$ aftermarket downpipes (w/o cats) that don't show any proven gains.

[ 30. November 2004, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: Neo ]

also, gutting an up pipe is a bad idea. if you do a poor job, and something breaks loose and blows through your turbo, welp, oops.

not sure what kelly's screen name is, mang. sorry about that. im sure you can find one on nasioc or wrxforums.net. central ohio subarus might be a place to look as well.

no hose at all? wow. my wrx has about two inches of rubber seal between the ic and manifold. granted, the ic and manifold inlets actually touch under that hose. sorry mang, didnt know yours was like that.

Got it to seal up, finally... thanks to all your tips.

Orion...here is a picture of the motor....

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~mccorry/images/subaru/Sophie%20engine.JPG

And here is the turbo orientation where it bolts to the I/C....

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~mccorry/images/subaru/Uppipe/Intercooler%20off.JPG

Nah... ended up having to use the gaskets that came with the ERZ uppipe. The Subie ones wouldn't work as the ERZ flanges are a little off.

I guess you get what you pay for....

She is all sealed up now...