Got the shaft??

Scanachi

Hello all,

I have a buddy that is looking to get back into riding. He is thinking about buying a 2007 Honda Shadow 750. Unfortunately, I don't know much about them, but I hear they are shaft driven.

Does anyone have any feedback about the "reliability" or the "cost" associated w/ maintenance of shaft driven bikes?

Thanks!

The Vmax has a shaft and I love it. No oiling, adjustments or anything except gear oil. Its very smooth and has never given me any problems such as driveline lash that people always associate with shafts.

Tell your buddy to check out the 1100. Unless he is small, the 750 is a tiny bike.

I don't like shaft drive. As far as maintenance they are excellent and very low maintenance, but my complaint is the rising and falling of the bike on accel and decel. BMW incorporated a torsion bar of sorts that helps, but the imports really seem to rise and fall on heavy accel and braking.

Just my .02.

I don't like shaft drive. As far as maintenance they are excellent and very low maintenance, but my complaint is the rising and falling of the bike on accel and decel. BMW incorporated a torsion bar of sorts that helps, but the imports really seem to rise and fall on heavy accel and braking.

Just my .02.

Yeah I agree. Plus you loose power between the motor and the wheel.

My friend has a 2003 shadow 750, he loves it, but it is DEFINITELY underpowered...I think like 48 hp (almost as little as a new ninja 250)...

but his is chain driven...

The 03 actually only has 44 hp. The 04 and newer Aero's and 07 shaft drive Spirits have 46