Ohio nitrous oxide law

FasDuc

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know about this kind of stuff too. :lol:

I would still have to say that I know the ORC just a little more than you. ;) I know you have been cited for this code, but like it says below....

You guys are right, section 2925 of the ORC is the drug section. If people are getting written then this is the code being used. I'm sure it was originally written as an anti whippet/inhalation code but is being used by some creative officers to bust drag racers, some codes are open ended like this one and can fit other situations. Most people don't realize that officers have the kind of freedom that we do, just like we don't have to write a ticket for an obvious violation and can just give a warning, we can also be creative and use the letter of the law if we think the situation warrants it. I personally wouldn't write that unless someone's being a dick.
Like i said, most officers don't care or don't know about the code. Even if they do like me they'll understand that it's a drug code and the "spirit of the law" doesn't apply.

I agree 100% If it was written for vehicle use, it would say so. You wouldn't even need a lawyer to get out of this one.

I have Nitrous Oxide and the bottle is in the middle on my trunk. You can see the bottle clearly from my back window and I had a cop pull me over for no front license plate. He saw the bottle and asked me to show it too him. I always HAVE the bottle OFF when I am on the street, and the officer looked and I showed him and he was on his merry way. My understanding was that it is illegal to have if the bottle is on. Mine is usually empty when I make it back to the street, but I make sure its off.

My understanding was that it is illegal to have if the bottle is on. Mine is usually empty when I make it back to the street, but I make sure its off.

That's what I was told as well. If the bottle is closed, you're fine. But if its open, and as FastDuc says, you're being a dick, you'll probably get a ticket for it.

shit, I went through 2-3 10 lb bottles a weekend. I'd burn at least one at the track friday, more like 1.5, then saturday after work I'd run up to Youngstown Oxygen and refill it/them then head out to the main drag saturday night and burn up another one. I'd turn it on when I pulled out of the garage, was up to temp/pressure by the time I got out, and I'd waste another bottle screwing around on the street (bad I know)

Why would you leave the bottle open while heating? You would want it closed so that the heat and pressure build. I have 3 bottles as well, I would leave them in the sun on Friday(afternoon) just b4 I got out of work so that that got hot enough b4 I went to the track. I dont use the N2O anymore bc I have the huge turbo, but I plan on getting my new motor in soon and using N2O + Turbo.

I am going to install nitrous on my bike and have it run right to a mask so I can park and get fucked up... Maybe I will install a balloon inflating nozzle too since the ticket would be the same as injecting it into my engine

The nitrous you buy at IPS or Jegs contains sulfur. You go ahead and huff that shit. Let me know how much you puke.

The nitrous you buy at IPS or Jegs contains sulfur. You go ahead and huff that shit. Let me know how much you puke.

I am not too worried about that because I happen to have my own praxair rep in house 40hrs a week. Do you know how much gas OSU uses each week. I get a truckload of cylinders delivered three-four times a week

I have 3 bottles as well, I would leave them in the sun on Friday(afternoon) just b4 I got out of work so that that got hot enough b4 I went to the track.

I thought the idea was to keep the gas cool, don't they make blankets for the bottles to help keep the gas in a liquid state until needed?

Why would you leave the bottle open while heating?
Because the lines arn't that huge that they'll affect the over all pressure. Besides how are you supposed to know what the pressure is?
You would want it closed so that the heat and pressure build.
it's not open to the atmosphere, just to the solenoid. it'll still build pressure just fine.
I have 3 bottles as well, I would leave them in the sun on Friday(afternoon) just b4 I got out of work so that that got hot enough b4 I went to the track.
How do you tell that their not getting overpressure? a bottle @ about 82 degrees is at 1000psi, depending on fill volume. It's very unsafe to heat a bottle without a pressure gauge. Even at that, my friends and I had F-bodies and we'd keep our bottles in the spare tire wells. we went into a resturant for lunch and when we came out my friend had to purge off about a 1/4 bottle because just sitting in the sun had upped the pressure to almost 2k psi! but if you don't have a gauge you wouldn't know this. Ever see a Nitrous bottle explode?
I dont use the N2O anymore bc I have the huge turbo, but I plan on getting my new motor in soon and using N2O + Turbo.
in a Scion? :wtf: Are you dropping an LSx into it?

I thought the idea was to keep the gas cool, don't they make blankets for the bottles to help keep the gas in a liquid state until needed?

The hotter the bottle, the higher the pressure. When the pressure escapes, the gas cools very quickly. Can cause frost bite. Imagine a can of compressed air. Hold it upside down, and spray. It'll freeze anything. The opposite is true. When the gas is compressed into the can, it gets hot. So when you're going to use the nitrous, you want to heat the bottle to build pressure.

gas condenses under pressure, N2O is under enough pressure in the bottle to keep it in liquid form. The pickup tube is in the liquid, and it stays under enough pressure to keep it liquid up untill the jet. then it sprays out, evaporates, and turns into a gas.

Heating it causes a small amount of the liquid to evaporate and increase the pressure in the cylinder, by increasing the amount of gaseous N2O on top of the liquid N2O, this is the driving force behind the liquid when you push the button.

The blanket is there to keep the bottle warm really, and usually under that is a thin plastic heater wrapped around the bottle. the blanket keeps the bottle warm so your pressure stays consistant through out the run, without having to heat the bottle. A big deal on full race cars that don't run alternators, and heat it with an outside power source in the pit lanes.

Because the lines arn't that huge that they'll affect the over all pressure.

I know that and even purging helps cool the lines dramatically, I just never liked leaving the bottle open.

Besides how are you supposed to know what the pressure is? it's not open to the atmosphere, just to the solenoid. it'll still build pressure just fine.

I have a pressure gauge on the bottle.

How do you tell that their not getting overpressure? a bottle @ about 82 degrees is at 1000psi, depending on fill volume. It's very unsafe to heat a bottle without a pressure gauge.

I never got my bottles to heat that fast, then again they were never left out for long. They always had towels on them and they never saw any heat over 80F. Just sunlight heating a towel over them. When its in the car its ALWAYS covered, unless its empty.

Even at that, my friends and I had F-bodies and we'd keep our bottles in the spare tire wells. we went into a resturant for lunch and when we came out my friend had to purge off about a 1/4 bottle because just sitting in the sun had upped the pressure to almost 2k psi! but if you don't have a gauge you wouldn't know this.

Thats crazy it must have been really hot, or you took awhile to eat.

Ever see a Nitrous bottle explode? in a Scion? :wtf: Are you dropping an LSx into it?

I have seen a scuba tank explode does that count? N2O is not flammable so that wouldn't make a fire ball, so i assume its the same. Yes in a scion, and it has a fully built motor with a GT35R turbo.

:lol: holy shit this is funny, quote from Car Craft magazine!

We hate to give any credit here, but the success of the bafflingly popular movie The Fast and the Furious has driven sales of "noss" through the roof. That's been a good thing for everybody who makes nitrous kits, because the huge profits they reap from fools who want to blow the intake welds on their Hondas means more cash in the coffers to develop and market high-quality, low-cost plate and fogger systems for real musclecars like ours. So there. Now you've got at least one positive thing to say about the import scene.

:lol: holy shit this is funny, quote from Car Craft magazine!

We hate to give any credit here, but the success of the bafflingly popular movie The Fast and the Furious has driven sales of "noss" through the roof. That's been a good thing for everybody who makes nitrous kits, because the huge profits they reap from fools who want to blow the intake welds on their Hondas means more cash in the coffers to develop and market high-quality, low-cost plate and fogger systems for real musclecars like ours. So there. Now you've got at least one positive thing to say about the import scene.

:lol: That's my new sig!!!!

I've always wanted to go to JEGS. I hear it's a TOYS 'R US for cars!:eek: Ofcourse I wouldn't but anything because I have a malibu and I'm more into bikes.

I worked for Jegs for a summer. I've spent more money at Jegs then I have on every bike and daily driver I've ever own. That place steals my money.

sulfur dioxide is soluble in water... tank from jegs + water filtration = :lol::lol::lol: