Sell for new Evolution8???

Guest Varioram

I too am going to vote for the Porsche...BUT disagree with everyone in some respect to the Porsche. Mod the crap out of the suspension on the porsche and you've got money well spent and you'll turn an already great handling car into an outstanding handling car...BUT spending money on power mods for the porsche is flushing money down the toiloet. European car had a project 993 that's never in the magazine in the project car section becuase everything they've tried to do to the car has been useless as far as increasing power goes.

So...my advise is do suspension and be happy with it. If you're looking for speed the 911's not got much potential to get any faster than it already is (it's not exactly underpowered though).

Andy

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by 500HP RX-7:

Let's clarify something. It's not Porsche getting the ass its the guy driving. I could take 90% of you on this board, stick you in a Porsche and you are still not going to get any ass. True story. smile.gif

Get the EVO!

90% is awfull generous

Guest Varioram
Andy, I dont know what European Car did to their 993 but it DOES have potential. If you stay naturally aspirated then your going to be restrained to 360rwhp however there are plenty of aftermarket SC's and TT kits. Depending on the money you want to spend, cheapest TT kit I've seen is still 22K yes I said 22,000...but that makes 600rwhp. Now a more economical route is to SC, although uncommon you can still achieve a good amount of power. I've read TPC got 380rwhp out of a bone stock 993, nearly 150rwhp gain... did I mention thats at 5psi? build the internals and the head, modify fuel and ignition and turn the boost up making over 500rwhp would be fairly easy. The TPC SC costs just 6k... very appealing when you dont have 22k laying around. There is no question in my mind which car I would rather have, the question I'm asking myself is... is it worth waiting and spending a shit ton more money to make a deadly fast 993 OR sell it and have a fast evo now? I mean you have to remember I'm going to be having to pay for gas, insurance, college, etc. I dont get the Porsche parts at wholesale either, I wish to God I did but I dont. A evo with that kinda money in it and wholesale parts... I would expect nothing less than 500awhp right off, no working no waiting, just sell the 993 and drop 10k in mods. A fairly intresting question... which is more important, status or speed? I think I would rather keep my 911 but when you know what could be made out of that evo it makes your mouth water.

Guest stvbreal
Evo is a fun car but like everything else things get old. Mod the Porsche a little and drive it for a few years then trade it in and drop the saved cash on a new 2007 Z06. Those are my plans. That's if you don't mid a car payment. :D

My $.02 is that you are nuts to sell the Porsche for an EVO. The EVO's are nice, but they dont hold up(burn up clutches at 7k miles, etc) and the resale will be much lower than a 911 after three years. Do what you want its your $$.

For those of you who take interest, I am the owner of what Bradon mentioned, NaSolution. I am a vendor over on CSR, and am trying to become a vendor of this site. We have very competitive pricing, unmatched service and quality, and are going to offer Custom fabrication along with the incredible inventory of parts. If anyone is interested in something, email us at Sales@nasolution.com or PM, IM me at SupaSupraSE. We'll be up in the next 1-2 weeks.

Brandon, keep the porsche. You have status, power, and a car that is going to hold its value.

You haven't said one time what you want out of your vehicle. Do you want a car for status purposes or speed? Are you going to be drag racing, taking it to a track (Mid-Ohio, Ledges..etc) or just want something to tool around Columbus in?

For the haters - http://www.layeredchaos.com/CSi/FQ400-Topgear.wmv

Theres what a mildly modded Evo MR is capable of. Notice the 100K+ cars it waxed on the track? I would kill to have a porsche 911, its one of my favorite cars. I just wonder how practical it is year round?(Are you looking for something you can drive year round?) Whats the average tune up on a 911 run? Can you take it to a Firestone/Goodyear or are you running it past MAG everytime you need an oil change?

Yes the Porsche is much more classy. Yes it will hold a MUCH higher resale value. Its an exotic sports car(to an extent). Its a Porsche 911, enough said.

The Evo is no slouch and they are hitting 11's on the stock turbo. It handles as well, is more practical year round and is cheaper to maintain. It should carry a cheaper insurance rate as well. I'm just shedding some light to the other side of the spectrum. Dropping 10k into the econobox will yeild some very satisfying results. Do the research and make the decision for whats important to you.

Originally posted by Mr Blunt 2gnt:

It handles as well, is more practical year round and is cheaper to maintain.

I have no doubt EVO's are fast on the track. They have put up great numbers against stiff competition. But cheaper to maintain may be a little off. Wayne on Pulp Racing has been through 3 engines in 3000 miles and his front transfer case is going. He talked to another EVO racer that said he keeps 3 or 4 spare transfer cases in his house because he's already gone through five of them.

I'm not saying this will happen to everyone, but if you plan on open tracking the car and driving it hard you need to be prepared for the worst.

edit: Also there's this quote on Pulp Racing:

But other than the transfer case whining, Wayne says the Evo is the most fun car to drive on the city streets that he has ever owned. And this is coming from a guy who has owned a 911SC, 944 Turbo, 911 Turbo look, 944 Turbo, NSX, Ferrari F355, a second NSX, and a Ferrari 360 Modena.

Guest Varioram
Chad, Actually for the same coverage on the 911 VS the Evo, the evo is about 70 dollars more a month. Now believe me when I say I've looked into everything I can think of. The porsche... $200 oil changes every 3k miles (includes labor), $410 maintainance every 15k miles (includes labor), $850 maintainance every 30k miles (includes labor), $1200+ for tires every 30k miles, and with gas prices as current... about $120 in gas every month (accounts for more consumption when sprinting) Now for the Evo... $60 oil changes every 3k miles (includes labor), service needed every 60k miles for estimating 3-500, and monthly gas estimated at 180-200 (estimated consumption with mods NOT stock)... as for what I want out of the car? I want everything the 911 has but I want it faster, in fact I've been trying to talk to dealers and get a 96' or 97' 993 Twin Turbo but its a bit hard to get a 20k loan for an 19yo. :(

Varioram: You're correct...My post was based upon common bolt-on upgrades for the 993. There are forced injection routes out there to make the car wicked fast but at the cost of buying an entire new car...but just like my M3 the car is soo close to it's potential from the factory that there are very few "cheap" mods for the car that are worth while in it's N/A form.

Maintenance cost is another factor...but if you can do most of it yourself and rely on the dealer for what you cannot do then you should be OK. Speaking of which...I have a good friend that's a wrench at Byers...if you want his info PM me and I'll get it to you...I'm sure it will save you about 1/2 of your maintenance costs. For instance.

Anyhow...yes the Evo is tempting...and it's a very nice car, easy to mod, and the M3 has been handed it's ass by a couple of them lately, but I'm over the point in my life where I try to be the fastest guy on the block. You're a little younger than me and maybe the Evo's a good move for you right now...but if it were me I'd be keeping the 993.

Originally posted by Mallard:

I have no doubt EVO's are fast on the track. They have put up great numbers against stiff competition. But cheaper to maintain may be a little off. Wayne on Pulp Racing has been through 3 engines in 3000 miles and his front transfer case is going. He talked to another EVO racer that said he keeps 3 or 4 spare transfer cases in his house because he's already gone through five of them.

I'm not saying this will happen to everyone, but if you plan on open tracking the car and driving it hard you need to be prepared for the worst.

edit: Also there's this quote on Pulp Racing:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />But other than the transfer case whining, Wayne says the Evo is the most fun car to drive on the city streets that he has ever owned. And this is coming from a guy who has owned a 911SC, 944 Turbo, 911 Turbo look, 944 Turbo, NSX, Ferrari F355, a second NSX, and a Ferrari 360 Modena.

</font>There is no excuse for anyone to be going through EVO longblocks unless they have no idea what they are doing tuning wise. I'm assuming that this guy is a serious racer/tuner if you say he has 4 or 5 $1600 transfer cases laying around. There has been no national evidence of anyone having mechanical engine failures in the EVO (unlike the 2g DSMs) if they knew what they were doing with tuning.

The transfer case subject has been very touchy with the EVO. Many people had problems in the beginning with them. The main point of emphasis was that people were not careful with the type of gear oil used in them. Unlike the tranny and rear end, using the EXACT Mitsu Diaqueen SAE90 gear oil is critical to the thing not grenading itself. This was never an issue in the DSM transfer cases so many people made the mistake of trying aftermarket products and tons of T cases failed. I also attribute many of the failures to first time spoiled kids who learned to drive a 5 speed on their EVO smile.gif

Guest Varioram
Andy, I'd really like to get my maintainance costs cut in half but... It would be somewhat pointless since I will be moving to Florida in a month or so. :( Wouldn't happen to know anyone down near Tampa would you? lol... Well the good news with Tampa is I dont have to worry about driving something else in the winter. It seems it always give and take though, I dont have to worry about winter transportation but my insurance goes up. I think perhaps the smart thing to do would to be get down there, save up some cash, buy a daily, and put the 993 up for a few years while I upgrade... Haku, Currently all I do is work as a sales associate on www.NASolution.com but after I get to Florida I plan on getting yet another job.

I really wasnt trying to persuade you to get an Evo, just giving some of the my personal opinions on the pros of the car. I couldnt see myself getting rid of a 911 to buy an Evo. If you want speed why not just buy an R1 or ZX10R? Those things are retarded fast and you get to keep your Porsche. Since you'll be in florida you'll be able to drive it all the time and take advantage of the fuel economy a bike offers.

those prices are outrageous.

60$ for an oil change on an EVO? thats your cheap route? someone is shoving a big green money dildo up ur ass.

if ur 19 and throw around that kind of money, why can't you get a loan?

Guest Varioram
Chad, I said $60 including labor. It probably is only $40 bucks or so but with labor it racks it up some... I too thought about an R1, right up until I saw the insurance for it... Almost double that of the 911 :(

Guest STi Guy
Keep the Porsche. I would recommend the STi but I am biased. Drive an Evo and an STi and see which one you like. I have always been a Porsche fan. The STi is much more reliable and has better materials than the Evo. Sure, you can mod the hell out of the Evo, but something will break. Mitsubishi is in financial woes, so bankruptcy could be in their future. Someone is always going to be faster than you are. Maintenance, other than doing it yourself, is very expensive for an Evo. Maintenance on an STi is not too bad.

Originally posted by STi Guy:

Keep the Porsche. I would recommend the STi but I am biased. Drive an Evo and an STi and see which one you like. I have always been a Porsche fan. The STi is much more reliable and has better materials than the Evo. Sure, you can mod the hell out of the Evo, but something will break. Mitsubishi is in financial woes, so bankruptcy could be in their future. Someone is always going to be faster than you are. Maintenance, other than doing it yourself, is very expensive for an Evo. Maintenance on an STi is not too bad.

Modify any car heavily and it will break. The reason you don't see STIs breaking is because nobody is modifying them very seriously. The reason for this is because the car's layout makes it a serious PITA to work on.

Again, do things correctly and the EVO is a solid platform to race on. Idiot kids trying to run 25PSI with their stock turbo on pump gas are what is contributing to bad stereotypes.

Guest Varioram
Mike, I'm not sure about 25psi on the stock turbo but if you installed the toda 2.3l stroker kit, a hks 3037S turbo kit, ran a 50-75 shot, ran a standalone ems, and did all the necessary changes to back it up correctly... how much would you expect to see from it? I'm no genius but I would think at least 560awhp without the juice, right?

Originally posted by Varioram:

Mike, I'm not sure about 25psi on the stock turbo but if you installed the toda 2.3l stroker kit, a hks 3037S turbo kit, ran a 50-75 shot, ran a standalone ems, and did all the necessary changes to back it up correctly... how much would you expect to see from it? I'm no genius but I would think at least 560awhp without the juice, right?

I'd have to say a helluva lot more than just 560hp.

You just named off 10,000$ worth of modification's alone (not including labor expense's if you don't do it yourself). Why go that route when you can simplpy buy the BR500 turbo kit for 2300$, a kit that has proven 504whp at 25psi, stock block. of course 500hp is about the limit of the stock block of an evo so anything over that and your going to need to open it up.

br500 turbo kit

Research the Feb. 05 issue of TURBO magazine. the cover car is much like the car you described with the exception of a HKS t51r spl turbo and a 150 shot and the car put down 712whp. Mind you this is a VERY extreme setup and a VERY LARGE turbo, i seriously doubt you would want to drive something like this daily or on the street very much.

back on topic... i'd take the porsche.