Making your own CAI

Shinobi

Question: how effective and easy is it to make your own CAI. On the car that I have,(04 Sonata w/V6 - uncle bens rice included), it does not have a CAI that I can find aftermarket. I thought about trying to do a test fit with a Tib one, but I don't know of any shops that have spare CAI's laying around.

I heard that you could make them out of PVC pipe, and that you can take like a Honda pipe from Advance, take some measurements, and make one that way.

Any ideas? Would it be better to just do a drop in filter instead of trying to make a custom CAI?

- Shinobi

Originally posted by Shinobi:

High - can I give them the measurements including bends?

I havent done it, but Im sure if you tell them what your doing, tell them you need x length, then a 45* bend, then another x length, they should do it for pretty cheap.

Buckeye, how much of a difference do you think it would make?

Plastic or PVC is always much better than metal when talking about a CAI. I doubt the Tibby one will work because of routing.

I think making a true CAI may be kind of hard to get a nice cold area, but a WAI (warm air-close to engine) is possible as long as you can get in a place so that it doesn't hit your hood. I know the most effective place for a CAI in an Elantra (my wifes car) is to put it in the wheel well between the engine bay and then platic protection plate. That is were on the Elantra the air comes into the resenator from the outside. So you may want to check there to place the filter.

Guest visualpoet
I'd recommend black ABS instead of PVC. There's some debate as to the harmful effects of the fumes given off by the PVC when it warms up. Not to mention I think the black would look better if you go that route.

Interesting stuff. Another thing that I found on a Sonata board was a guy making a SRI. He told me that an SRI delivers more low-end torque, which is really what I would like to have. Either way, SRI, CAI, i want to do a custom one and do custom exhaust.

Thanks for the info so far!

- Shinobi

Originally posted by Shinobi:

Interesting stuff. Another thing that I found on a Sonata board was a guy making a SRI. He told me that an SRI delivers more low-end torque, which is really what I would like to have. Either way, SRI, CAI, i want to do a custom one and do custom exhaust.

Thanks for the info so far!

- Shinobi

maybe a brain fart but for the life of me not thinking of what SRI means :confused:

Check this out ... well I guess the Sonata has a "Unique" engine bay with no access to the fendor. So I would have to do some cutting for good placement. Not so sure about that one.

I check and the SRI or CAI for the 04 Tib will not fit, due to the engine bay. I think I am just going to drop in a damn K&N filter and be done with it. I should have bought a Supra :(