My wife wants a new CTS-V...

zeitgeist57

I don't know but I do know that they are the shit. Drew's(Harris92) dad has one and it is so awesome. Lets talk about torque. It is so great and fabulous and it has satellite radio and a dvd player in it. The Shit.

Originally posted by Zeitgeist:

Am I stupid for taking a $628.12 monthly payment for the next 72months to own a brand new, fully loaded CTS-V? :confused:graemlins/nod.gif

graemlins/thumb.gif Yes, it's a poor investment, but not a bad price! Don't let my wife read this; she'll be bugging me for one tomorrow. smile.gif FWIW, sounds like a good deal to me. (Unless they're asking for more than 1K or so down.)

It's $675 for 60 months...4.24%APR. I've got good credit! graemlins/thumb.gif

Fortunately, more rational thoughts prevailed and we're going to wait 1 year and buy an '04 or '05 when we've got a little more money to put down (try to get the payment closer to $500 a month).

BTW, wife wants a V8, 5-or-6 speed manual, 4 door sedan that's RWD with a usable rear seat. You tell me what other options are available under $40k!!! graemlins/grin2.gif

BTW, wife wants a V8, 5-or-6 speed manual, 4 door sedan that's RWD with a usable rear seat. You tell me what other options are available under $40k!!!
Well if you can do with 2 doors.. you can lease a 04 GTO for $299 right now!!!!!!

Originally posted by 182mph:

yes...buy a porsche instead

Not even comparable/competing cars. The only current Porsche in a CTS-V's price range would be a Boxter....CTS-V >> Boxter. The cheapest 911 starts out at 70k....well above a loaded CTS-V.

Originally posted by Ricochet:

god damn that's a lot of money for a grandpa car

How is this a Grandpa car??

http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/04/ctsv04_02_800.jpg

Cadillac has done a LOT to shed its image of a grandpa mobile. Their trucks (Escalade/ESV/EXT) are definately not grandpa like.......they seem to be the current "pimp" mobiles; I don't condone that image of them, but it is what it is. The XLR is most definately NOT a grandpa car. The CTS was designed around bringing in more youthful buyers. The new STS is definately becoming more "youthful." The only grandpa car left in the lineup is the Deville.

The CTS-V is an awesome car. I personally can't justify buying a brand new car, when I can buy someone's pampered 2 year old car at a HUGE savings w/ a year warranty left. I'd much rather let someone else eat the heaviest depreciation (certain vehicles excluded if incentives on leftovers are huge enough to keep 2 year depreciation to a minimum).

There really isn't a lot out there that does a good job at being direct competition w/ the CTS-V. M3 is only a 2-door, so that doesn't count. The 545i costs more and I'd definately put my money on the CTS-V at the track....by far. Audi A8 costs way more and a lot bigger. The S4 would compete fairly well, but I'd bet get ate up in a straight line. Benz offers NOTHING in a 4-door near 50k that could even distantly keep up with any of the above mentioned.

Japanese?? GS430 doesn't have a prayer. Infiniti....nothing worth mentioning. Acura....the RL and TL won't be getting it done.

The CTS-V simply fills one spot in the market that was empty....a high performance Sedan in the 50k market.

Originally posted by Ponti-Yacker:

Man my mortgage on my 1st house was less than that!!!! Man that's a lot of money!!!!!

LOL- then you don't even want to know what the wife and I are paying on our two cars. Then again one's a 36month deal.

But zeit - you're doing the right thing, saving up for more down up front saves you twice.

and +1 on everything Nitrousbird said.

I wouldn't do it, I'd find a nice used one. But it's your money, if you want new get it. Other than that it sounds fine, depends on what you can afford.

If I was buying one tomorrow I'd find one for $30K with under 20K miles, put $10K down, and get a 36 month loan, monthly payments of $580 or something. Oh I'd get a silver one like Joe has pictured. :cool:

Guest Harris92

I have much personal experience with one my dad has owned one since spring. I am next to positive he had the first one in Ohio, and probably one of the first next to the east coast, (he bought it directly from someone in high mangement at GM) He has had his since spring and I must say it is totally badass. If you were to consider anything Zo6 performance wise, and want four doors, be smart, save your money, and buy it. It will compete with anything from the factory for under 80k. A great car all the way around. I know my father has been very pleased all the way around especially performance wise and comfort.

A great car that will haul ass!! :D

It is interesting to hear people's comments! smile.gif After driving the V twice yesterday (once for a test drive and the other while they appraised my wife's Passat) we were totally sold. The quality on the interior is phenominal, and the Bose/XM radio pounds. Navigation and a sunroof are cool too.

I like the S4, but I won't touch VW/Audi again for awhile. Our 2000 Passat has had some minor glitches that, if a non-car person had the car, would've destroyed the vehicle. Notably, the power-steering pump reservoir cracked, leaking ALL power-steering fluid out and galled our pump and now, there is a mysterious depletion of our coolant level.

I like the S4, but I won't touch VW/Audi again for awhile. Our 2000 Passat has had some minor glitches that, if a non-car person had the car, would've destroyed the vehicle. Notably, the power-steering pump reservoir cracked, leaking ALL power-steering fluid out and galled our pump and now, there is a mysterious depletion of our coolant level.

i also traded in my passat last week. I am now one car away from being free of this curse called german cars. I didn't spring for a CTS-V but it was the best day i had for a while now. Your water pump is leaking when you drive down the road and dripping or burning off. Mine did it for a while till I took and spent the 80 on parts and the 5 hours to change it.

That's what I figured with the coolant level. It's dripping out of the weephole. Thanks, Greg!

P.S...the dealership called this morning, and we now have the price down rediculously low, but my wife and I have definitely decided to wait out a few months.

Looks like I'll get to repair that waterpump now! smile.gif

I liked the looks of the CTS as soon as I saw it. OK maybe not. But it grew on me fast. Liked it more in person. The interior is the best GM's put together (next is the GTO's interior which I like also).

So Zeit, after test driving it are you going to buy it? It sounds like you are circling the kill.

We have the monthly payment down to $535 for 60months. We will buy one, but we just aren't prepared to take on another $500+ monthly payment until my wife is out of law school in May. We have too many other financial obligations going into effect this year (vacation home in Maine, student loans in June, possible addition on our home, new wheels/tires for my Vette ;) ) to jump at this point.

Counter to the S4, and in line with Big Papa and I are telling people, is that I would REALLY watch out for VW/Audi and REALLY REALLY stay away from DaimlerChrysler products for a few years to get a feel for their long-term quality. I will say from experience that Germany is no longer the benchmark of quality engineering. BMW is the only one still towing the line well, but 3-series and 5-series are rediculously expensive out of the box. I have had dinconcerting problems with our Passat, and on the contrary my 63k-mile 1995 Corvette has been absolutely unflappable this past year.

I will now take a Corvette-based vehicle (GTO, CTS-V) over comparable German sedans any day. I'd go Japanese, but finding a RWD 4-door V8 sedan with a stick-shift is also impossible from Honda, Toyota, or Nissan, though the G35 comes respectably close lacking only in the horsepower department.

i sat in one of these the other night...there was one at my work and it turns out they were having a meeting in one of the rooms...when the meeting was over, i went in to tell him he had a nice car...yada yada yada...he was like, well, once i get all my stuff together, ill go out and show it to you...this thing is amzing...i sat in it, and i didnt want to touch anything for fear of making it not look nice...lol...i dont know how to put it into words...but, he did tell me, "once i get past the 1k mile break in period, give me a call and well go out and take it for a real test drive: smile.gif ...should be about that time...it was a couple weeks ago and it had like 150 miles on it...400hp luxury car seems appealing...i could afford one of these, but i wouldnt be able to insure it, eat, or put gas in it to drive it around...hahaha...itd just be sitting in my garage like "yeah, i have a CTS-V...no we cant drive it because i have to pay almost 700$ a month to pay for it and cant afford anything else"

We have the monthly payment down to $535 for 60months. ...

Mind if I ask with how much down up front? That on an 05 or a leftover 04?

Hey Zeit, did you talk to the dealer about SmartBuy?

That could get your first two years of payments down, get you into that CTS-V sooner. I'm pretty much decided - I'm buying one too.... now to convince the wife : she thinks its ugly (arrrg).

Originally posted by Hoosier Daddy:

If I was buying one tomorrow I'd find one for $30K with under 20K miles...

Good luck finding one with <20k miles for under $35,000. You'd probably only be able to find beat up ones.