Post your car care tips and tricks!

Nate1647545505

I think we have a good number of people who have some pretty sneaky tricks on getting that pesky bolt.

I'll start with something simple.

When doing an oil filter in a hard to reach application, crack it loose by your method of choice, so you can turn it with your hand. Then place a plastic grocery bag underneath and move it up so it fully contains the oil filter.

Unscrew the filter with the bag and you have just save'd yourself from taking a nice bath in Mobile One's finest.

[ 02. May 2005, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: GTWEEE ]

Guest racinbird
Ill have to try that bag method on the boat engine, PITA to get to it, and sucks to clean oil from a bilge :( while you are sitting on your head tring not to get stuck.

Originally posted by The DropTop:

I simply unscrew the oil filter and let the Mobile 1 drip down the block and all over the floor. I like to pretend it lubricates my steering rack and protects against corrosion.

Thats sounds reasonable enough to me :D .

~Erik

My tip is this: whenever I have a car problem, I take it in to the dealer and have them fix it. I then sit in the waiting room and sip a mocha-chino. I like to see if I can get the remote for the TV when I sit down. In the mornings I reccommend the Today show, but in hte afternoon there's usually something good on the History channel. Then when its done I go out and look at it and nod, that way I make sure nooo mistakes. Then I sign the warranty slip, hand my empty cup to the service rep chick and drive off. :D

Using this tip after multiple repairs I've yet to mar a single crease in a pair of slacks.

When doing dirty work under the hood, have a small bowl of paint thinner near by. All the bolts that you pull out, drop them in the spirits for about 10 or 15min while you finish your disassymbly. Take an old toothbrush and scrub the bolts before putting them back in. This will prevent thread damamage and also allow thread locker to work properly when used.

This is also a great way to clean pistons, valves, and even brake dust-coated chromo lugnuts.

Keep a can of brake cleaner nearby if there are any stinging, flying insects in your garage. If you crush a wasp, yellow jacket, or hornet, their body releases an airborne scent that others can sense and immediately react to with hostility. You'll actually attract more stinging insects. Brake cleaner kills'em nice.

Also...I like to wash my vehicle in the late afternoon or evening, finishing with a good wax after the sun's gone down. The car will be cool to the touch, slowing down evaporation and the creation of water spots before you're done with the whole car. This is especially handy with black cars.

Guest TGrant
If you have a pesky bolt or oil gallery plug that wont come out. Heat the bolt or plug with an oxy-acetylene torch. Touch the bolt or plug with parafin wax. The wax will be drawn down around the threads and the bolt will come out very easily after it has cooled.

Guest TGrant
Put a small amount of valve lapping compound on the tip of a screw driver or torx bit and the lapping compound grips the screw head and prevents it from slipping out.

For chrome pieces, try denatured alcohol. I used to use it on my chrome wheels and it worked wonders. Never streaks as long as the wheels are clean because it evaporates quickly. You can also use it on windows and such.