good ride

ninjachk08

well, everyone knows im new to riding.. well, i know its not the best idea, but after being under alot of stress.. the only thing i wanted to do is ride. ride my worries away..

so i was determined to go on one of our twisty roads up here between vandalia and tipp.

first i rode up 40 cuz i was gonna stop and show my cuz the bike. with me being mad, i was already being ballsie..i decided to give it a go. i downed into 5, but didnt feel a diff. so i went down some more and went WOT. it was nice! i got up to 90. and yes, that sounds slow, but for someone who hasnt gone above 60, thats a big deal.

well, after she wasnt there i rode up 40 to ross, then there it was.. i turned onto canal. i got on it a bit, but not too much cuz the corners ahead. i only saw the white line once, but i took everyones advice and looked where i wanted to go. i still did slow in the corners.. i got up to bout 50.. but again, for someone who was doin 30, its an improvement.

my high's of yesterday was 13rpm and i think bout 90-95mph.

the only thing is, when i hit 13rpm, i felt like i didnt feel a speed change.?

im proud of myself and now im ready for sunday!!

just wanted to say with everyone

Sounds like you had a bit of fun just be safe.

Your Ninja 250 is gonna max at about 105 stock. I've heard of those not even being able to hit 90 on theirs. Once you get toward the very top acceleration is going to be very slow to the limiter after a certain point if it even makes it at all. There's any number of things that can affect your top end.

also remember to shift your weight and hang off the sides, if your going left, your right foot should be on the peg (also always keep the balls of your feet on the pegs, not the insole or heel), and your underside of your knee should be on the seat, and thigh across the seat, and your ass should be almost completely hanging off the left side of the bike. Put your helmet low and to the left of the wind screen as well, and just look at the exit point of the corner and you'll be there! Good luck! Twisties are the greatest especially once you start moving around and shifting weight, you just think to yourself, God, I could have put on another 20mph through that corner...

:D Good luck!

Not your whole ass, just a cheek.

Sounds like you had a blast and you did it all within your means. You'll get better over time, no need to rush. Even when you're out with other people just ride to your ability no one will leave you. They may get ahead of you but they'll wait for you.

Even when you're out with other people just ride to your ability no one will leave you. They may get ahead of you but they'll wait for you.

+1

Don't be so quick to push your limits chick. As years go by you get better year after year. Don't rush things too fast because that's how people get in over their heads. Play it safe and have fun. Speed in corners will come over time. For only riding a few months or two, don't worry about hanging off in any corners because you don't need to yet because you need to improve your cornering capabilities well before you begin that. Once you have no strips on the side of the tire, then start hanging off to get that extra edge. Maybe after 5000 miles in the seat? IDK, everyone is different. Just PLEASE be safe and don't think that you have to go faster and faster to impress anyone. Remember the saying "Only fools rush in"? Don't rush yourself girl, please. ;)

Starting hanging off, first just get your upper body relaxed and going into the corner. Shoulders pointing into the corner. Then once that is comfortable start moving your butt over couple inches at a time. Most you will need to hang off is max 1/2 cheek off and 1/2 cheek on the seat.

But keeping your upper body lower and a relaxed grip on the bars is Key.

Slow and repetition is what makes it habit and able to do it relaxed.

I think she should get riding 100% down and focus on that before adding more variables to think about into the equation. Don't worry about hanging off this year at all ninjachk08. Have fun, be safe, and get to know your bike and yourself on it this year. ;)

The only reason you would need to hang off the seat is if you are going into it too fast. If you haven't been riding long, I wouldn't suggest going fast into the turns.

I was thinking about riding today, but I was exhausted after work. I came home and relaxed.

If you want to ride tomorrow, I get off of work at 1PM. Let me know.

I suggest everyone pick up volumes one and two of "twist of the wrist" Great books teach you everything you should apply to your everyday riding.

Its not the only reason, its not the reason at all. It lowers your center of gravity and allows you to carry more entry speed while keeping the bike more up right.

watch that, and also some of their other videos, good stuff. lots of pointers

i have found myself looking at the road 10 feet in front of me rather than looking through the turn every once in a while. and everytime i do i always run wide or swerve through the turn due to on/off gas.

i think its cuz i have had some close calls with gravel and asphalt snakes and am watching out for those more than looking through the turn. but its something i plan to continue to work on...especially tomorrow morning :)

Got part II in 2006. Read it 5x. ;) Everyone should read it.

thats a big +1 on that! not so much part 1 as that is geared towards the early early sportbikes whereas part 2 is more for our generation. although both are good reads for sure.

i have something special related to Twist of the Wrist 2 if anyone wants to PM me to find out. (its something id rather not advertise on public forum)

Scientology is a money making scam. The more money you give its members is the more money given to Scientology. They require members to pay their way through levels.

that's like saying "I'm not buying a whopper, cause I don't want to support the KKK" Just because there is a kkk member working at the local burger king... People need to make a living, ALL of their money doesn't go to their church...

Hanging off will come later as most said, and let me clarify I was not meaning to do what I said in a couple weeks. Maybe over a whole summer or more.

But as others said, don't worry about hanging off, but moving your upper body into the corner is good practice. It will help you look through the corner and keep you loser/more relaxed on the bars thus making you safer in every corner.

You don't want to sit straight up on the bike with locked elbows that is the worst thing a rider can do when cornerin.

i agree with nick i've been riding awhile and do just fine not hanging off. i will, but at my own pace. i also really don't feel like i have ridden my bike hard enough to hang off.

How hard you ride your bike had nothing to do with hanging off. If you are out riding some curves at 40mph and using 80% of your tires grip sitting straight up and down.

If you hang off going 40 mph you will be using (guesstimate) only 50%-60% of your bikes grip. So if you do end up hitting a bit of gravel or a slick tar strip you have a better chance of not crasing with less lean angle. I am not saying everyone needs to hang off like they are dragging elbows, but just moving over couple inches in the seat and getting your body lower and on the inside of the bikes center line makes a huge difference. But for this to work you must be relaxed on the bars too.

Riding around town if I dont move my upper body at least even just making a turn on to another road I feel awkward and out of place.

I know I am at a point where I have been some real rough tracks and now when I am riding at around the 100% level I tense up then end up having to back my speed off because the bike is moving around more then my competitors.

i'm not a professional rider so don't take this as a challenge. ^^^you^^^ are probably a lot more experienced than i am, but if you are leaning off the bike and you do slide wouldn't that just put you that much closer to a low side?