Newsweek interview with my boss-Honda's fuel economy mantra

large_x7

Good interview. I love his talk about fuel cells, I think he's right on the money with that remark. Hybrid cars are basically a short term technology for now to help manufactures that are SUV heavy meet the ever rising CAFE levels. Fuel cells have a very long way to come and I think they will get there in the next 10-15 years. To the point that you could drive an electric car at least as far as you can drive your average gasoline car right now.

My power systems teacher told me that in 20 years everyone will have a battery outside of their house the size of a few household AC compressors. You'd get a freshly recharged one every few months. Think about not having a power grid, power surges or power plants to worry about (of course the power plants would still be there and have a direct connection to industrial plants, you just wouldn't have a direct connection to them). Just like he said in the interview, that's a moon shoot. But that's about as cool as any possible technological advancement I could every imagine in that time span.

Guest 420GSXR1000

fuel cells are the future man!!!!!!

forget the hindenburg, shit we travel with 25 gals of gas under our ass, so whats the diff??

remember the pinto??

Gasoline is not at high pressure and Gasoline does not contain the same specific energy of hydrogen. Do not underestimate the safety problem being overcome in research right now, its not insignificant.

There's a reason hydrogen is used on the space shuttle and gasoline isn't used in any rockets.

I saw an interview with the CEO of Ballard. They are making natural gas fuel cells for Japan (and the japanese government is subsidizing them) that produce your houses 1st KW of energy. Pretty sweet. Could be that in the future all you get is natural gas and you make your own juice.

He said one of the major problems with fuel cells is they only operate at certain ambient temps. They wouldn't work in Alaska or anyplace really cold.

Honda already makes natural gas civics, mostly for the west coast, and not very many of them. And the fuel cell takes up the WHOLE trunk!

honda has 3 concept diesel vehicles, I think this would be a better solution, more fuel mileage, more specific energy, cleaner (exept for sulfer) and no electrical problems because NO ignition system smile.gif

Originally posted by Lustalbert:

I am in fovor of better fuel economy. That way gas can get cheap again, and I can dive a car that gets shitty fuel economy without worying about what itl cost me at the pump.

you drive a car that get shitty gas mileage like (20mpg mabey) but infact you are keeping the gas down by doing so. Think about it we already pay $.26 to the state and $.184 to the federal government for every gallon of gas you buy. Now if everyone and their brother went out and bought a car that got 80 mpg they are going to fill their cars up alot lot lot less than they do now. This is revenue that the government is losing in taxs, so what is the government goin to do inorder to get it back.........you guessed it raise the tax again.

my theory is everyone needs to buy the biggest damn gas guzzling sob out there, drive it everyday, and leave it running while they sleep. ok im just kidding but think about it.

my theory is everyone needs to buy the biggest damn gas guzzling sob out there, drive it everyday, and leave it running while they sleep. ok im just kidding but think about it. [/QB]
Mathus would say your days of cheap and plentiful gas are numbered. Population continues to rise and so does our use of energy, all forms. Lets not forget we are dealing with a scarce resources, when we have a shortage prices go WAY up. We're kinda shooting our self in the foot and i'm just as guilty as the next guy. I'd love for them to bring back rationing just to teach some of the dumb asses about conservation. The next time I see an fn Excursion with only one person in it i'd like to shoot its tires out. Its got a massive ripple affect b/c these increased energy prices affect the trucking industry, the manufacturing plants and pretty much everything we buy. Sux a fat dick.