Turbo Diesel Trucks

04r1

Im going to be in the market for a truck soon and definately want a turbo diesel. I know very little about the diesel motors and I am looking for some info on reliability, diesel mileage, etc. The one Im considering most is the Chevy 2500 Crewcab 4x4. Any info would be great though on the dodge, ford, or chev diesel motors. And no, I dont want a link to specs, I already know that. I am looking more for personal experience with these motors and such.

I personally like Cummins (Dodge). Powerstrokes arn't bad either. You going to have helluva time getting a clear cut answer to which is better. Because the the ford people say their truck is better and the chevy people say their truck is better. I'd take the ford or the dodge over the duramax any day though.

being taht i work in agarge where diesels come in and out, and i hear and see what the guys in the mehcanic bay are saying / doing. i would say ive seen good and bad out of everyone model. ive seen less fords than others though. we have a dodge in there right now, that has a nasty fuel problem the lingin in the tank flaked apart, and clogged the fuel system. tank, pump, lines, and a few other thigns had to be replaced. id say stay away from dodge.. chevy or ford would be my suggestion

Chevy has never made a good diesel.

The super-heavy duty Ford's, I think the F-550's or some shit uses a Cummins motor. But they don't tell their average consumers that.

Honestly though, you could go with the Ford or the Dodge. The real differences that you will notice are going to be the truck surrounding the motor. I personally love Dodge trucks, I've been around them my whole life. After looking at current truck prices, I think my next fullsize is going to be a Ram. That's my personal opinion, and such should be taken at face value. To my knowledge, both Ford and Dodge use a solid front axle, which means that even though it's more heavy duty, the ride and handling is far from good, especially considering what you are used to driving.

The only problem I know of with the Dodge's are the auto trannies. I highly recommend, if you are to go that route, to get a 6 speed. You will not be disapointed. OTOH, they are highly moddable trucks, responding VERY well to boost and extra fuel. I have known several people to own these trucks, and they were always very pleased with them.

As for the Ford - I just don't know. I personally have never known anyone that has owned one, so I have no idea what their issues may be.

So long as you avoid the Duramax, I think you'll be alright. I suggest finding out more info on the Ford before making a decision, but either way I think you'll do alright.

Originally posted by copperhead:

Chevy has never made a good diesel.

The super-heavy duty Ford's, I think the F-550's or some shit uses a Cummins motor. But they don't tell their average consumers that.

THey use CAT and Cummins engines in the commercial super dutys. But IMO cat is overrated.

Originally posted by Doug:

THey use CAT and Cummins engines in the commercial super dutys. But IMO cat is overrated.

the only experience i've had with GM diesel was a 95ish with the cat engine, that POS wouldn't pull a sick whore off a bar stool. i drove a cummins dodge for awhile.it was ok, but i wrecked a tranny at 101k miles(100k warranty)neither one of those stands up to the 2004 powerstroke that i'm rockin at the moment. this is by far my favorite diesel.

What type of pulling are you going to be doing that you need a diesel? We have a Chevy 2500 HD with a 6 liter that tows a 30 ft 4 horse gooseneck trailer with no problems at all. Hell, you can even set the cruise control. Just wondering because diesels are a lot more expensive

my cousin gets about 14-15 highway in his duramax, he hasn'thad it long, about 3 years, and only puts about 2-8 thousand miles a year on it towing his racecars.

Personally from growing up in Redneck Shanggrala, where it seems every body has a diesel pickup around Danville. I like the cummins > powerstroke > duramax

But to defend any of these, realize you are going to develop problems if you drive it back and forth to the grocery store (unless it's 30mi. away) Diesels are happy towing and running constantly, any of the big three diesels will last 200,000 miles easily with proper maintanance and proper warming cycles. I was taught that if you aren't going to run a diesel for a half hour at least, it's just better not to start it in the first place.

I have a 95 powerstroke. I was getting about 12-14 miles per gallon, towing my Jeep cherokee on a flat car trailer. I towed it from Denver to Columbus, set the cruise on 65 and sat back and relaxed. Going up and down the mountains the thing didnt really seam to strain.

Originally posted by The_Wang_Of_Fury:

What type of pulling are you going to be doing that you need a diesel? We have a Chevy 2500 HD with a 6 liter that tows a 30 ft 4 horse gooseneck trailer with no problems at all. Hell, you can even set the cruise control. Just wondering because diesels are a lot more expensive

2 reasons for wanting a diesel. Those big v10 gas engines get shit mileage and Im hoping the diesel is a little better. Plus, I want the diesel so I can mod the shit out of it smile.gif

Originally posted by StockV6:

2 reasons for wanting a diesel. Those big v10 gas engines get shit mileage and Im hoping the diesel is a little better. Plus, I want the diesel so I can mod the shit out of it smile.gif

Ours is just a V8, and it gets really decent gas mileage, we got around 17 MPG pulling a horse trailer on the freeway. But wanting to mod it is a good reason too.

Currently have a Chevy Suburban with the 6.2 Liter diesel, and a Banks turbo kit. I like it quite a bit for a 22 year old truck. :eek: The 6.2 isn't by any means in the same league as the any of todays diesels, and when I finally get to the point that I can buy a new truck, I'm definately going to lean toward the Dodge. We had one come through work this week with over half a million miles! Still running strong. I think that I'd probably lean toward the Ford as a second option though. You might want to be patient though, Toyota is supposed to be releasing a diesel engine in the near future with better numbers than anything in the domestic market. Just wonder if they're going to have a decent truck to put around it...

yes.. the duramax is a isuzu product..

i get about 18-20 mpg (check my vehicle). but mine not really stock.

i like the big rig sound and the tried and true I-6 diesel engines. not totally convinced that a v8 diesel is a good thing, none the less, the 6 cyl can create just as much power as a 8 cyl and with less rotating mass. if u are interested in buying a diesel, shoot me a pm. i can help.

i seem to be the only one on here with a modded or what they like to call bombed, diesel.