Mustang and snow

Tractor

Tonight my wife and I were comming back from supper and I turned on to dempsey rd off of St Rt 3. "You know the only little hill in Westerville." Well in front of me was a probably around 2000 mustang that couldn't make it up the "hill." I was in my 2WD fullsize truck with the 275x65 tires so I wasn't in great shape, but I drove around him and turned into a parkinglot to watch and maybe even provide assistance. Well the driver kept trying to move forward and was doing it very slowly. I was pointing out things to my wife at this time about how only one of his tires was spinning. He would have made it alot easier if he'd, 1 gave it any gas at all and 2 set the parking brake a little bit to get both rear tires to turn.

I even went back around to show my wife how to get it going even after stopping on the hill and didn't have much trouble. I just hit the gas and fishtaled it to the top. I was driving my FWD corolla earlier today on it and had to rock the steering wheel back and forth to get the front tires to grab, but not much trouble either.

Evan

no problems here yet.

I have thought about how you stop at that hill in powell at the intersection of 315 and powell rd in weather like this. Seems like with this amount of snow it would be impossible to stop going down and if you were the first person stopped at the light it would be tough going up it.

I guess going slowly is the key but I could see a car like mine sliding down the hill even trying to stop from 1 mph.

I was following a third gen camaro on the way into my apartment complex last night, around 2 am. Unfortuanately, it was headed into my complex, where it immidiately got stuck (in my way, I was going to drift the turn). So, I pulled into the entrance across the street, and jumped out to give the person a push. The driver ended up being a complete white trash woman, who could barely figure out how to pull it back into drive, I was pissed. A little shove later, and she was out of my way.

when i used to drive a 99 v6 mustang it was hell during winter, fishtailing, couldnt get up any hills (getting stuck on powell hill and having to turn around in traffic was fun), it must be the worst car to drive in snow/ice.

Now the vr4....snow what?!

Originally posted by ChrisR 6G72TT:

when i used to drive a 99 v6 mustang it was hell during winter, fishtailing, couldnt get up any hills (getting stuck on powell hill and having to turn around in traffic was fun), it must be the worst car to drive in snow/ice.

Now the vr4....snow what?!

I have a 2000 v6 mustang, i put some snow tires on it and it handles like a champ. I can sit in my steep as driveway in 6 inches of snow and drive up it without even spinning the tire.

I think driving in the snow is 80% operator and 20% vehicle. At least in these conditions. In 2 feet of snow I'd rather have an H1.

Originally posted by MJ:

I have a 2000 v6 mustang, i put some snow tires on it and it handles like a champ. I can sit in my steep as driveway in 6 inches of snow and drive up it without even spinning the tire.

I think driving in the snow is 80% operator and 20% vehicle. At least in these conditions. In 2 feet of snow I'd rather have an H1.

I think its more.. 50% driver/30% tire/20% vehicle. tongue.gif

Even with quattro my all-season tires (pretty worn) made it an interesting drive.. Wish the tires I ordered 3 weeks ago weren't on a 6 week backorder :mad:

I also drove the 240 (light, RWD, open-diff) for several years on horrible all-season tires and managed to never get stuck, so I can imagine the kind of fun you guys are having.

I won't drive the S4 in this stuff with the tires it has on it very far, or on any highways (Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's). I can accelerate as slow as I need to, but getting going up hill, on turns, or stopping, is a bit of an issue. This issue is almost all tire. I need to get some all seasons.

I've been driving in the Turbo II through all this crap, and the only problem I had was I got stuck in the parking lot at work on Wendesday morning. But that was nothing a chain and a Bobcat couldn't fix. As for drving around town, I haven't had any problems. I just threw 3 bags of tube sand in the back with all the Supra parts to help weigh the rear down. graemlins/thumb.gif

Guest AlpineFox
I have never been stuck in any of my lincolns, but those are heavy cars and I wont drive on anything less than a 225/x a wider footprint on the tire makes for good trac. I also overinflate the snopt out of my tires I run between 40 and 45 psi at all times for cornering. you want to see some funcome drive the brookville apts sometime ruts deep enougyh to make any import eat ground.

Originally posted by AlpineFox:

I have never been stuck in any of my lincolns, but those are heavy cars and I wont drive on anything less than a 225/x a wider footprint on the tire makes for good trac. I also overinflate the snopt out of my tires I run between 40 and 45 psi at all times for cornering. you want to see some funcome drive the brookville apts sometime ruts deep enougyh to make any import eat ground.

Actually, in the snow, I think a skinnier tire is a little better. It allows the snow to escape from under the tire better. I also heard that the less tire pressure the better. :confused: But hey, whatever works.

:cool:

Since my 4x4 Jimmy decided to die and the best possible time, I'm crusing around in my roomate's 94 GT 5-speed.

Luckily, even with over 194k on the clock, the posi still works great. Unluckily, the smog pump took a shit, taking the belt and alternator out with it, and causing more time than I wanted working on the car in sub-freezing temps.....with no electricity in my house (well, entire neighborhood). With the 17" Cobra rims on it and new Z-rated Falkens, it could definately be better in the snow, but I've got plenty of seat time in RWD vehicles in the snow, so it isn't a big deal.

All offroaders know that wider tires are better in deep snow because they help you float more. Lower ground pressure means you keep your diffs and frame off the snow longer. Digging is the last thing you want to do. You actually want to have a tread pattern that won't let the snow escape. Kinda like the BF Goodrich Radial T/A's. They pack in snow and help create friction against the ground.

Of course on icey roads your best tire would be something like lots of spikes. Highest possible ground pressure is your best bet when trying to turn. Stopping is pretty much skill/luck no matter what your driving.

Try driving a truck on swamper TSL's with a spooled rear end sometime. Thats alot of fun trying to go straight.

Evan

have thought about how you stop at that hill in powell at the intersection of 315 and powell rd in weather like this. Seems like with this amount of snow it would be impossible to stop going down and if you were the first person stopped at the light it would be tough going up it.
man, i slid straight down that hill and through the light one time in my old cougar. the entire road was just a sheet of ice. bad news.