whats the best engine for a 90 crx

Guest Saturn_Racer

"Best" is subjective. The B16A1 is the easiest and cheapest engine to swap into a CRX. It was available in the Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) 90-91 Civic/CRX SiR. This 10.4:1 compression ratio DOHC Vtec motor makes 160bhp @ 7600rpm and 111 lb-ft @ 7000rpm. It has a redline of 8200rpm.

It can make good power with bolt-ons and cams, will rev over 9000rpm with valve springs and the internals are very strong if you want to go the forced induction route.

A later generation of this engine was available in the 99-00 Civic Si, but the relative heaviness of the car prevented it from reaching it's performance potential. However, the CRX will not have that (weight) problem!

IMO, the B16a1 will always be the best swap for the 88-91 CRX/Civic! smile.gif

The b16a1, b18a, and zc are all very common swaps. The b16a1 is actually 10.2:1 but that doesn't really matter tongue.gif I've got a b16a in my hatch, done a b18a in a crx, and we are doing a b16a in another 4th gen hatch right now. Kinda hard for me to do much of the work right now since I dislocated my knee. Just figure out what you want to do with the car and then decide what motor is best for you by doing research and talking to others.

Originally posted by boosted1.6:

The b16a1 is actually 10.2:1 but that doesn't really matter tongue.gif

Where are you getting your information? All of the online sources say it's 10.4:1, including the hybrid honda site which is one of the oldest on the internet. Just wondering. tongue.gif

Originally posted by the Man With No Name:

Where are you getting your information? All of the online sources say it's 10.4:1, including the hybrid honda site which is one of the oldest on the internet. Just wondering. tongue.gif

The B16a1 is 10.2:1 and the B16a2 is 10.4:1 but that .2 isn't much of a difference. smile.gif

Originally posted by steve:

Flip that around and it is right. The B16a1 would be the best swap for a CRX

I didn't say the B16a2 was the best swap I was just stating the compression for the 2 different motors. If I worded it wrong that was my bad. And yes the B16a1 is the best swap of the 2 motors because it is ODB0.

im honestly surprised that nobody has asked the big question of what the car is gonna be used for is it gonna be used for a drag car, auto-x, or just a daily driver. (do tell)

but its always been in the back of my mind .........just because i like the drag racing thing.........to put a h-22 or an h-23 in a crx. the thought of an engine that makes that much more torque than its origainal motor, in a car that small makes me smile. graemlins/burnout.gif

Originally posted by Ricochet:

It's not bad until you gotta turn.. h22's are heavier than shit, and that crx would have understeer like a mofo.

That is what everyone said, but I never really noticed a huge difference. There was some but nothing "mofo". Only way you'd really be able to tell is if you autocrossed it.

I had a turbo for mine :( . But you gotta hook that power up, which means $$$. You'd see low to high 12's with decent suspension, but add smore money and anythings possible. Those numbers are with a stock motor and low boost keep in mind. However RWD > FWD, so that's that smile.gif

Guest lustful

damnit.. i wish i had foudn this thread.. i was gonna say h22 h23 conversion... one our friends before he wrekced his crx was thinking about that swap.. but again turning would be a real slut...

brian i am surprised you didn't suggest b18c series....

shief how fast is yours currently?

It ran a 14.3 on 3 good injectors, and a 2.7 60' time (yes that is real). I never ran it after I got the bugs out of it. I think it would have gone mid 13's if I got a half-way decent 60', and with the injector fixed. I gave up on it before last summer, and it's been sittin inside the shop ever since. So I've been takin a few things over to my 240 from it. Yeah it's a cool swap, but it's just not want I really wanted in the end.