My Honda SUCKS

Guest platinum

Guest platinum

ok here is the deal. sohc 2000 civic. i put new pistons, rods, rings, port pollished head, blah blah blah

when i start her up it leaks, or better said drips oil out of the back of the engine. i have replace the bloddy head gasket 4 times. had the head checked for warpage, and even used a different head. also had block checked. im lost and pisseed.

if anyone wants to come look at this thing since i have been working on it for months. granted that may only be a couple hrs a week. but still i need to win some racing.

hit me up at austin@rollin.com , if you get it working i will hook you up. if not im selling engine and going with something N/A boo hoo.

peace, and thanks in advance.

I'm with you on this one. (piece of shit honda ;) ) A little more background this is a fresh motor and we had all the work done at M&M in deleware. Reassembled the car without the turbo for the break in period. Started it let it idle and drove around the block before noticing the leak the first time.

The leak appears to be at the backside of the head but the head and block both check out as being fine and we have even used a different head which checked out fine as well. It looked as if the intake manifold was causing interferance with the head seating properly so we shaved that until you could run a straight edge along the head and it didn't catch anywhere.

There is a stock honda headgasket on it and a set of ARP head studs torqued to 61 lb/ft. This time when we started it, it appeared to be running fine but we are still seeing a leak and neither of us have ANY idea what the hell else to look at on this thing unless the leak is coming from some other spot which we are totally over looking. :(

-jeff

Guest platinum

why do all the work on a sohc , why not. it's all in the learning experiance. 220 at 9psi is not bad at all im thinking. i might be wrong but when i would have been running 15psi. im sure it would have been fun to drive. this is not the issue here.

i need it fixed. not for people to tell me to get a new car. it's a honda. yes its shit. yes is sohc , yes its odbII. yes is fwd. big deal. there is something wrong with every car.

next. >>

You sure you got everything back on the head? My experiences with M&M include them forgetting to include all the parts initially given to them.

Go buy some ultraviolet sensitive dye, add it to your oil, run the engine and use a blacklight to search for the spot where the oil is seeping. That is the best thing I can tell you to do right now, I dont have time to physically look at it.

Guest badmuthrfkr
Originally posted by platinum:

why do all the work on a sohc , why not. it's all in the learning experiance. 220 at 9psi is not bad at all im thinking. i might be wrong but when i would have been running 15psi. im sure it would have been fun to drive. this is not the issue here.

i need it fixed. not for people to tell me to get a new car. it's a honda. yes its shit. yes is sohc , yes its odbII. yes is fwd. big deal. there is something wrong with every car.

next. >>

Dyno sheet please.

BTW, I was going to tell you to check the exact same thing as RL, my friends had the same problem when they dropped their B18s back in..

Originally posted by rl:

Are you sure its not leaking from the oil pressure sending unit?

What about the vtec oil pressure switch?

[ 05 November 2002, 01:29 AM: Message edited by: Hua ]

Guest platinum

i have taken the turbo off including the oil sending unit from the oil pressure sensor. i can for sure check that tonight to make sure it is tight.

it does leak at idle. only after engine warms up. about 10 -15 min. if it was just oil i would assume that would be it too. but i have 4 drips. 2 antifreze in the front. very slight. 2 in back of engine. 1 antifreeze, small again. and 1 oil. constant drip about every 45 sec.

thanks for info. i will retightin the oil sending unit and re-post tonight.

austin

Just a random thought, but have you made sure your head bolt holes are free of any water/oil before you torqued the head bolts?? If there is any liquid in them it wont matter what torque you set them too, you will not compress the gasket.

Also, are your reusing the head bolts?? Are they torque to yeild?? If they are, you should not reuse them as they will stretch. Are they the correct length??

Good Luck!

Mike