What causes the "70 Shakes" ?

gillbot

At 65-70 MPH my car shakes violently at times. Had the tires balanced and a ball joint replaced but it's still pretty bad. Could it be alignment?

The weird thing is that it isn't always at 70MPH, sometimes as low as 55 or as high as 75-80 MPH. It's rare that it shakes at the same speed, and if you get it to say 60 and hold it there, it will start to shake. Then you get it up to 65 and it quits for a while but comes back, then you slow to 60 and it quits again!

Maybe the speedo is just off and it actually is shaking at the same speed?

1995 Ford Aspire, Unkown miles, Manual Trans

Could be your driveshaft out of balance, but from you description it sounds like more like a u-joint or the pinion nut comming loose. Thats where I would start givin you've checked the obvious things already. I am assume your talking about your Z-28??

Guest EclipseGtGuy
when u hit the brakes, can u feel your pedal move at all? My grand am did the same thing as u described, and it was warped rotors.

Guest nevarmore

Since your speed is different, are your revs about the same when the problem occurs?

I was taught that:

Same speed = problem after the transmission (wheels, align, etc)

Same revs = problem in engine or trans

Guest EclipseGtGuy
I was taught that:

Same speed = problem after the transmission (wheels, align, etc)

Same revs = problem in engine or trans

VERY GOOD CONCEPT....

I'll remember that!!!

This is on my ford, 1995 Ford Aspire, FWD, M5 Trans, Unknown Miles.

Originally posted by 93_ChargedCobra_342:

Could be your driveshaft out of balance, but from you description it sounds like more like a u-joint or the pinion nut comming loose. Thats where I would start givin you've checked the obvious things already. I am assume your talking about your Z-28??

EDIT: Since it's a M5 trans, if the speed is different, the revs will be different. My only other thought other than alignment is the front struts/springs. This car may have as few as 150k miles or as many as 350k. It had an odo replacement at 125k but I dunno the mileage of the odo that was put in. According to the service record, it was a new odo so that would mean 350K+ on this tired car. Just seems high mileage considering the condition of the car, and it's age.

Edit #2: The brakes feel fine when applied. there is a little shake but nothing like what I'm feeling at highway speeds. Tires have been replaced/rotated/you name it and the shake is still there.

Guest stevil
Originally posted by gillbot:

or as high as 75-80 MPH

You got that thing to 80 MPH? :eek: You're probably just getting turbulance from getting so close/reaching top speed with that car. :D

On my way back from Paducah, KY one night I decided to see what it would do. I've had it as high as 90 on a stretch of flat highway. Even a little grade though, this thing sputters out and loses speed fast.

Originally posted by John Milner:

You got that thing to 80 MPH? :eek: You're probably just getting turbulance from getting so close/reaching top speed with that car. :D

I havent but with this car who knows. I think i'm gonna try struts and 2 new tires soon.

Originally posted by Rotarded:

Random thought.

Have your ever put fix-a-flat in the tires? I've seen that stuff stay liquid for quite a while, giving vibrations at different MPH, at different times.

Guest xxxyyyzzz

The hamster has a bad ankle. If he's in pain he'll run crooked, causing vibration at freeway speeds. Have him ice it before you put him back in that little wheel.

graemlins/bsflag.gif

graemlins/fruit.gif

(sorry, couldn't resist)

sometimes the heavy point of the tire matches the heavy point on the rim, and you get a off balance type vibration, i'm not sure at what other shops have this or not but i know at discoutn tire, on their balancer they have a road force test. just go in and when u ask for a rebalance, ask them to do a "road force".