clutchs suck

Brandon

i am almost posistive i need a new clutch, when drop at high revs it slips for like 2-3 seconds and some times wheni lay in to the throttle it slips while still in gear. but i dotn really have any knowledge in changing a clutch, is ther anyone that could help me put one in an i will pay for food and beer ect, the good stuff, thanks

brandon

Yes, changing a clutch on a FWD car is a pain in the ass, I did mine not too long ago with the help of bigbabyjesus. You're going to have to take out the axels and drop the tranny. You really should find someone who has access to a garage with a lift. We did it in my garage, and I will never again do it there.

there are some who say fwd clutches are a pita, I'd have to disagree.

1. you dont have to screw with a rust welded exhaust

2. There isnt a driveshaft that is a pita to remove from the rearend.

3. FWD trannys are light and are easy to work with.

4. the FWD driveshafts/axles do not need to be removed, just pulled loose from the tranny.

Hell, in the mustang, you even have to unbolt one of the headers to get the bellhousing past the collectors :rolleyes: it sux.

that said, if I were around the columbus area, I'd help for food and your sister (maybe?).

[ 19 November 2002, 08:14 AM: Message edited by: Jasons TSi ]

Originally posted by Jasons TSi:

there are some who say fwd clutches are a pita, I'd have to disagree.

1. you dont have to screw with a rust welded exhaust

2. There isnt a driveshaft that is a pita to remove from the rearend.

3. FWD trannys are light and are easy to work with.

4. the FWD driveshafts/axles do not need to be removed, just pulled loose from the tranny.

Hell, in the mustang, you even have to unbolt one of the headers to get the bellhousing past the collectors :rolleyes: it sux.

that said, if I were around the columbus area, I'd help for food and your sister (maybe?).

I don't have to do any of that in my rear wheel drive car. :confused:tongue.gif

The sentra tranny is not hard to get out I took mine out myself and put it back in myself. All you need is a trusty jack and you are set. There are a lot of bots to relmove though and you need to remove both axles. :D

If I was still out there I would offer a hand but I'm not so I can't. smile.gif

It is not that hard though trust me.

how the hell do you move the tranny rearward to get the input shaft out of the pilot bearing/clutch plate if you dont unbolt the driveshaft from the rear? :confused:

I've NEVER seen anyone HAVE to remove an axle in a FWD clutch swap... just take the ball joint, and vehicle/suspension dependant, tie rod end apart, and pop the axle out of the tranny... you can then just move the axle out of the way and remove the tranny... this way you dont have to fool with the rust welded axle nut and the possibility of screwing up the axles threads.

[ 19 November 2002, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: Jasons TSi ]

Originally posted by GRN96WS6:

I don't have to do any of that in my rear wheel drive car. :confused:tongue.gif

you dont have a true dual exhaust and 1-7/8s headers with 3.5" collectors either.... ;):D

[ 19 November 2002, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: Jasons TSi ]

Jason, I think Tommy was meaning to say it isn't hard to undo the driveshaft from our rear-end's.....mine is easy.

I have 1.75" Hooker Long Tubes w/ a 4" Mufflex Y-pipe, and don't have to touch the exhaust to pull the tranny. I don't think most of the guys running true duals on our cars ever have to move the exhaust to pull the tranny either.

I have to remove the driver side axle on my sentra because of the way it is in there. On the pass side you just pop it out and let it lay. And I don't mess with the axle nuts those things don't just pop loose. I just take apart the suspension.

If I did do dual exhaust on my car I think I would make it so that I don't have to remove it to get my tranny out. tongue.gif

[ 19 November 2002, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: GRN96WS6 ]

Originally posted by GRN96WS6:

If I did do dual exhaust on my car I think I would make it so that I don't have to remove it to get my tranny out. tongue.gif

lol, yeah, that would make the most sense, wouldnt it? I could bend the collectors out of the way, but call me a puss, i'm afraid to muck up a set of $800 headers (1-7/8" & 3.5" collectors for a 351w in a mustang are custom builds) :eek: Plus, I take the old mustang apart soo frequently (for upgrades, etc.) that the header bolts never have a chance to seize, so its not too bad.

When the 'stang was stock, you COULD swap clutches w/o dropping the exhaust also... but there's only soo much room when you get to changing things almost twice the size as stock ;)

Even then, having to work around the exh. would make it more of a pita than just dropping it all together.

I still say FWD clutches are easier, but thats my opinion.

Originally posted by B dubs:

i am almost posistive i need a new clutch, when drop at high revs it slips for like 2-3 seconds and some times wheni lay in to the throttle it slips while still in gear. but i dotn really have any knowledge in changing a clutch, is ther anyone that could help me put one in an i will pay for food and beer ect, the good stuff, thanks

brandon

I'll INSTALL the clutch for $150 + parts.

yeah, sorry to disapoint some people but no sister, and rl, next time i see you out there i talk to you about it. 150 dollars dosent sound to bad, but i really want to learn how to do it also, if you know what i mean, i dont want to just pay someone, and me do nothing. i'll be out friday kicking the crap out of marc(if what little clutch i have holds up) so if you come out i'll talk to you about it then. thanks.