What is a Stall Converter

Guest Brodi

Guest Brodi
I was talking to this guy about stall converters and I didn't quite understand what they are suposed to do or how it worked I was woundering if any one could anyone could help me out :confused:

Guest stevil

A stall converter looks like this:

http://formula.bambeezer.com/converter1.jpg

It acts like a clutch... it couples the engine to the transmission in an automatic car. It's bolted to the flywheel, and the shaft goes into the front of the tranny. Inside the converter, there are fins and tranny fluid, which it uses to create a sort of hydraulic connection. This allows the car to run when the car is stopped, as well as couple the engine and tranny. There are aftermarket converters you can get, which raise the stall speed, as well as mutiply torque.

The stock stall in your car is probably around 1500-1700... which means the convertor sort of slips until that RPM. Try holding the brake on your car, and slowly rev the engine. You should get up close to 1200-1500 RPMs before the tires spin, because the power exceeds the brakes. Up until that point, the converter slipped and full power and torque wasn't sent through.

A higher stall, like 3000 RPMs, will slip more, and you'll be able to rev it up alot higher to 2700-3000 RPMs, which is great for drag racing... puts the car in the powerband quicker and launches the car hard.

Stall converters are also known as torque converters, because they also multiply torque. The stock converter doesn't mutiply it by much. But aftermarket converters can be upgraded in this department also, with some multiplying torque alot more. A car with a stock stall may put down 300 rwtq, while the same car with just a stall swap might put down 350 rwtq.

Stall is very important, you don't want something too big, or it won't be streetable. You'll need more RPMs to get the car moving, so keep that in mind. A 2500-3000 stall is probably what you'd upgrade to if pretty much stock, stock cam etc.

Guest Brodi
so let me see if I'm getting this. just for shits and giggles lets say I have a 5000 Stall my car won't start rolling until my car reaches around 5000 RPM?

Guest stevil
Originally posted by BFastCamaro:

so let me see if I'm getting this. just for shits and giggles lets say I have a 5000 Stall my car won't start rolling until my car reaches around 5000 RPM?

It will roll a little bit, like it does now between 800-1300 rpms, but like that up to 4700. Stock stall isn't very noticeable since the stock rpm is so low and close to the idle & drive rpm.

From 0-4700 rpms it would slip alot and not much power to the wheels. Might get strange looks parking the car, or taking off from a light easy. People would think you were racing them. :D Imagine your throttle response up to 1300 rpms, then imagine that extended up alot higher. Probably be looser too, rev easier.

stock stal speed is about 1800 in most cars a good performance street stall is 2500 rpm when you start going higher 3000-3500 its like driving around with a sliping clutch all the time you need a good tranny cooler when you run this high of stall it builds up more heat. If you don't have a cam I wouldn't go over 2500 in anything and it better be a big cam(over.525 lift) to go that high. the torque converter is part of a complete machted package. you need your manifold matched to your cam gears that run the car in the powerband you build for it and your stall speed set up to stall out where the cam starts making power. so if your powerband starts at say 2100 rpm your going to slow your car down with a 2500 stall if the band starts at 3000(big cam lots of gear) then a 2800-3000 stall would be called for. Just remember to match componets going to a mildly higher stall speed may improve your performance a little but your not going to see massive gains.

hth

Originally posted by BFastCamaro:

With a stock car it prolly wouldnt move after the first launch, goodbye drive shafts.

The converter we have keeps drive to the wheels no matter what the rpm, it just helps with launching, when the tree is falling and the transmission is locked up (trans brake) the converter is slipping. But that isn't to say that running 1200 rpm the car wont move, otherwise it would be really hard to stage the car (hard to move 8 inches at 4800 rpm). It only allows for the engine to rev while the rest of the drive train is standing still, without having anything come flying apart.