AMC question ahhhhh any experts?

Scotty2Hotty

Guest Nbodyraser

k first sorry if i get testy .......but this is the facts.....the 390 was a ford y block the thing they had in common was the fact that they had the same displacement!!!!!!

second the only "aftermarket" heads youll find are the nascar alum heads.and anyway whats wrong with the heads ya got there small chamber and out flow most heads of that era!and third if you are forced to ask another question of this kind ,,do that amc a favor and sell it to an amc'er!!!!!hey man no flame meant by this .but good 390 is gettin real hard to come by

Guest Nbodyraser

i have been raised building hotrod amc cars.i currently have a450+horse 360 and 1972 jav/amx that im workin on..heres some specs on what i already got

1. the car(rust free from GA)

2.almost entire new interior

3.727 auto w/stage 2 race build(manual valve body,3500 stall,really nasty shift kit

4.subframe conn. are already welded in

5.4.56 dana 60 axle

6.motor is complete except cam(crane custom grind)

7.11.1 pistons ,massaged rods all arp fasteners,knife edged crank,850 holley,edelbrock torker manifold,msd6al,msd pro billet distibutorcrane gold roller rockers.crane double valve springs

8fully ported small chamber 1970 headsby my uncle joe,2.025in 1.6ex stainless valves by manley

8 hope it is deep in the 11 sec range!

I can't say I am the AMC king my cousin is, he owns the car and it's been sittin for 3 years. It's an SST and is a 390 with a 727 Torquefly. Car did, low 12's pretty much nuthin done, BUT I wanna improve on it so, I'm probably gonna think of porting the original heads even more. my cousin soon will have 3 AMX's and 2 javelins if that means he's not an AMC fan :D It's cool though, it's a quick car and I always watched him race it growing up. later-S

He's also got the dana 60 with 4.10's in it now. I knew no "aftermarket" company made heads for em, I was just wondering seeings how we have a few people that work at various parts stores, if they knew. I'll try to get a pic and send it to ya, it's not bad.Thought it was something different and it's quick as is, but I know can be a lot faster.

Guest 1bad66duece
a good upgrade for a 390 amc is a set of newwer dogleg style cylinder heads from a 401.they flow much better and are less exspensive than old 390 heads,i am no fan of amc,but dont pull beside a 390 or 401 in something not ready to run,or you will be highly disappointed,they make great horsepower.if you need some heads i can them.web page

Really nice :D I'm still workin it out with my cousin to see how I am gonna do it. I want it streetable and yet still makin the power. I always used to hear conflicting stories of AMC's being close to mopars, my fault :D I hope to own this car here soon. It WAS a strong runner back in it's days of bracket racing, SO I think it'll be a very nice street car. IF I had a digital camera I'd put up pics, I hope to soon, i'll go hit up Chris :D Thanks I shall let you know here soon, I wanna get started on it.