Supra Question

Tractor

My bud has an 88 or 89 toyota supra and we were messing with it last weekend. He don't know alot about it and I don't either. There is a button on the center consol near the shifter. BTW its an automatic. It says "ETC" on the button. It has an O/D button too so I know it doesn't control the overdrive. I was thinking its some type of setting for the torque converter or something as I've seen trucks with buttons in them to make them shift differently for towing then for cruising. Am I right? Also it has a 7MGE engine what can you do with these to get more performance?

Thanks,

Could be. Hey could anyone explain how electronic traction control works? I'm a 4x4 guy so I understand open diffs, lockers, and limited slips, but this most be totally different unless its some type of electric locker.

Basically it detects the wheel slipping by a sensor placed in the axle I imagine and kicks the throttle back at you. It's annoying as hell if you forget to take it off and try to launch at the track. :D

That is a rough overview of it I'm sure Mark or Brett can go into more detail about it smile.gif

Guest blueski02

i have an 89 4runner with the same button, its actually some kind of power transmission button. it kicks the rpm's up a little kind of like the o/d button. It really does help though, i have played with it a little. i looked in the owners manual too, just to make sure.

MIKE B

• 3 months later...
Guest Supratachophobia
ECT stands for Electronicly Controlled Transmission. It's basic function is to change the shift points in relation to the throttle for better downshifting response. For example, you hit the gas pedal halfway and it downshifts to third. But with the ECT button on PWR and you do it, it might go down to second. Like I said, it just controls the response, some think it raises the RPM shift point that is unsubstantiated. Let me know if you have any more Supra related questions.