Putting a deposit down on something ??

Buck531

Guest GSRchick714
I think you should keep it. If he's having you hold them for that long (depending how long it takes) and then doesn't even want them anymore, you coulda sold them to other people so keep his $50, thats his problem. You put a deposit on something to buy it, not to back out a month later!!!

Originally posted by Old Dirty Bastard:

I wouldnt because if your holding them and someone was interested you wouldnt sell them because there on hold and if he(guy paid deposit) backed out you would have lost sure money.I would keep the $50 for your trouble nothing shady about it just buisness

T.J hammered it down exactly... Also we could take the BMW and run people over :)

Originally posted by GSRchick714:

I think you should keep it. If he's having you hold them for that long (depending how long it takes) and then doesn't even want them anymore, you coulda sold them to other people so keep his $50, thats his problem. You put a deposit on something to buy it, not to back out a month later!!!

I think you suck...

Yeah, I always assume when I put money down on something like that, that if I back out, it's gone. It's probably good to state it though up front with the person so there isn't any confusion, or possible hard feelings about the situation. It will just make everything go smoother.

You need to state it in the beginning what the terms are, if you don't then it can go either way.

When I was selling my TA I took a deposit down of $200 I believe and I wrote up a word doc stating we agreed on a specified date and that if he backed out I would get the $200 for hassle and it basically missing sales because it was on hold for him. He bought it so it was a non issue but I'd always thought you should keep the deposit.

Guest GSRchick714
When I bought my car, I gave the dude a $100 deposit, I called him THE NEXT DAY to see if he was going to give me back the check or if he was keeping it because I had to apply for my loan and I wanted to know how much to apply for. HE HAD ALREADY CASHED IT! I was kinda amazed by that graemlins/eek2.gif I thought I was going to get it back!! But oh well

Just make sure to be CLEAR that it is a non-refundable deposit. If he buys the rims by x time frame, then the deposit goes towards the rims. If not, he gets no money back.

My rooamte had a problem with this when he was selling a built 355 LT1 shortblock. A guy gave him a small deposit, then backed out, wanting some/all of the money back. My roomate didn't really know what to do, but I told him to tell the guy to eat shit, as he passed up other sales because of this. You don't get deposits back on things you have someone hold for you.

So be VERY clear about it, and all should be good.