Police Auctions (Columbus Police)

girlygirl18t

I know a few of you may be interested in hitting the police aution's soon for a new project car or just a beater. I got a Nissian Maxima at one last year for $80.00. It did need a little work but i only put a little over $350.00 in it total. Here is a link to the city of Columbus police auction. They just had one yesterday on the 5th. The next auction is on March 5th.

The auctions are held at the Police Impound Lot, 400 W. Whittier Street. On 'Auction Day' the gates open at 8:00 AM and bidding begins promptly at 10:00 AM. Admission is free, however, you must be at least 18 years of age, provide identification, and register to bid on vehicles. All vehicles are sold in "AS IS" condition, and most are sold on salvage titles. The Division of Police will not provide a list of available vehicles in advance of the sale date. The preferred method of payment is cash, however checks will be accepted if you have a signed letter from your bank stating you have sufficient funds and you HAVE IT WITH YOU AT THE TIME OF BIDDING .

"Salvage" titles are no big deal. If you get a car that has one you can pay a $55 fee to have it inspected by the state highway patrol. Once the car is approved you go to the bmv and get a "rebuillt" title.

http://www.columbuspolice.org/InternetServicesMenu/EventSchedule.htm#Columbus,%20Ohio%20Division%20of%20Police%20Auction

i sold the car. i never took pictures of it. it was an 88' in pretty great condition. no body rust, clean interior.

The auction is a mix of really great to shitty cars every time. you just really need to go look. My one buddy went with me the last time. He picked up an 97' ford ranger splash, blue with 60k miles and a little front end dammage (busted grill, hood and bumper) for $700. That was the most expensive car to sell that day.

Did the Maxima you picked up run as it was or did you have to do some work to get it running? that is a hell of a deal for any car that actually runs and drives, even if it needs a little work. Do most of the cars there just have body damage or what?

Originally posted by GSRchick714:

Was that Maxima a crazy deal or can people always get awesome deals like that? If so, I'm definately going!!

like i said go on the rainy days and you will get a deal like that, if you don't they will go for a couple hundred more

Originally posted by Ridenred27:

keep in mind tht you will recieve a salvage title and no keys it is a game of chance but the prices are never that high. a good friend bought a 02 mustang gt w/ 10k that was flipped for like 450.00

this is very true. still, $450 for a 02 GT with 10k on it....sounds to me like it'd be a good possibility to make some $ :D or who knows, if you find a really nice car, keep it ;)

Originally posted by Mr. 2:

How would you get the keys made?

The cheapest locksmith in town that I have found is AJ's lock svc.

They will come out to where the car is (home/work/where ever) and cut a key. I have used them a few times. Aj's has great responce time (same day or next), they charge $90.00 to cut a key...this service includes two keys. (note: sometimes it takes the second cut to get the key right so you might just get one key) Most locksmiths charge $150.00-190.00 for this service.

AJ's lock svc. phone numbers are 614-286-6012 and 614-276-3522. They are open 24-7 so anytime you call is normally ok.

As far as the Maxima it had 100k miles (not terrible for an 88), no key, a few issues. But the car was fully loaded (minus leather seats) power everything, power sliding and flip sunroof, very clean light tan interior (as far as burn holes and bad stains), darker tan/brown exterior.

As far as what I had to fix and cost:

The cluth was not working (no pedal pressure). So I checked it out and found a disconnected line. Reconnected it, added some fluid, and bled it out. $3.99

Battery was dead, I tried recharging it and ended up buying a new one. $34.00 after core

One of the tires was trashed. Steve's used tires $22.00

The bumper was not on correctly. two bolts i had laying around. Free

Oil and filter $15.00.

A set wiper blades $14.00

$55 fee for title inspection.

Tow from the auction $50.

*** I forgot to let you guys know that you can not drive a car from the auction. (for first timers) You must have the car towed or trailered out of there.

Originally posted by Mr. 2:

How would you get the keys made?

Take the title (in your name) along with proper ID to a dealership that sells new whatever make vehicle you have, and they will cut you a brand new one off the VIN. Keys are FAR more simple than car manufacturers would like for the average consumer to know.

Originally posted by copperhead:

Take the title (in your name) along with proper ID to a dealership that sells new whatever make vehicle you have, and they will cut you a brand new one off the VIN. Keys are FAR more simple than car manufacturers would like for the average consumer to know.

+1

Originally posted by copperhead:

this only works on cars that are a few years old. if the car is over 10 years old they may not have the key code avail

we have bought a few cars from the auction made some good money to. i bought a 83 f150 for 300.00 real clean truck had it sold for 1800 3 days after the title was in my name. best advice use caution on what you spend they may need engines or trannys that can get real pricey fast. but you can find some real good deals. food for thought where do you think the seized cars end up at??? (street racing drug and other offences)

Originally posted by NurkVinny:

I knew owning a car trailer would become profitable some day. I was planning on going before I read this thread.

How many vehicles are usually sold each time?

ALL CARS BOUGHT MUST BE TOWED. regardless of title status.

It depends but it's normally around 100-150 each auction. There are normally lots of "personal" buyers at this type of auction but there are a few junkyards who hit them buying everything that no one else is bidding on for exp. old minivans, old trucks. typically they sell for $25 at the most.

I know that Newark has one every 90 days. I really have not searched for any others. The best way to check b/c this is done through the local police department is to call them or hit there website if they have one. Most of the smaller towns such as Newark, Circleville, ect. you would need to call. Their websites suck and are hardly ever updated with current info.