Radeon video card takes a dump

dragknee66

True story...

Had that 9800 Pro with IceQ setup. Been overclocked to XT speeds on its R360 core for about a month now. Thats 1 month of gaming and computer being left on.

I come home sat night after being out, decide to play some games, turn on my monitor... nothing. No signal. No big deal rite.. turn off machine, turn it back on.. nothing.. no POST, no boot.. nothing. I take out the video card... and the machine boots.

I take it to work today and pop it in another machine, nothing, no boot, take out the video card.. machine boots fine.

My expensive ass video card just died while doing NOTHING. Mind you it was overclocked the past month, this is the first Im hearing of a random video card death. I wouldnt be pissed if it fried during game play, but god damnit the machine was at idle when it took a dump on me. No overheating issues with the card or the machine.. My room is probably 66-70 degrees in temp, and the side of my machine case is off and all. Lots and LOTS of people from the hard forum (biggest computer geek forum on the net) have been doing this, and no one else has complained of anything like this.. simply because the newer PROs and XTs are the same cards just different core voltage and clock speeds.

Go figure graemlins/jerkit.gif Trying to go through the steps of getting a manafacturer replacement, but Im not holding my breath.

I guess its time for another upgrade ;):D

Yes I believe thats what I will be getting next.

Unless I can find a good deal on a 6800GT I can take to Ultra speeds around xmas time.

I was getting a little sick and tired of the crap frame rate at medium quality settings on CSS anyways. Drops to 25-30fps are SO NOT exceptable.

Where did you pick up yours Ken? newegg?

Ya thats the AGP version I was looking at as well. I think Im going to do a watercooling setup on my next machine though. Time to try something new. I need a ricer computer.

http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/14-150-080-01.JPG

^ this bish is hot

there are many more 6600gt agp cards on the horizon, by more reputable manufactures than xfx

hold off for a week or two if you can, and you will be happy you did!

that's what i'm doin also

and for some weird reason right now newegg is like $10 more expensive on that xfx card than tigerdirect or zipzoomfly, hold off and look around

btw - i'm now glad i didn't pursue buying your card

not to rub it in or anything

Well that sure sucks man, I'm sorry to hear that. I've heard good things about the ICE Q cooler as well. What were you clocked at, and were you getting any artifacts at all while gaming?

I have a 9800 Pro also, but it's watercooled. I'm overclocked beyond XT specs as well but I only have an R350 core. I also have a Vantec Spectrum fancard underneath the card (2 80mm fans) cooling it in addition to the waterblock and mine's been overclocked like this for almost a year now.

The 6800 GT is by far the best buy in terms of bang for the buck right now, so look to that for a replacement. I'm currently in the market for an X800 XT though which I think is a great deal for the $$, just more cash obviously. ;)

Good luck with your system.

was running 433/384 no artifacts. Im just upset it died while doing nothing but sitting still.. I would have loved to watch it melt down or something during gameplay if it HAD TO die hah :D

Im putting my gaming on hold for a bit while I work on my stealth anyways, that'll keep me busy for a little bit.

in a few weeks a number of brands will have the agp 6600gt and prices will fall to the PCIe level.

But...

The reason I piced up the PCIe version is for future upgradability. The NVidia SLI setup allows certain cards to work together for twice the processing power. The 6600gt happens to be one of these.

The DFI lanparty board, considered one of the best A64 boards is about 90 bucks now and will last a few generations worth of games.

/computer dorkism

Get the 6800GT. Not the ATI X800Pro. Dunno enough about the 6600GT.

My brother in law both went out and got new cards - I got the ATI x800Pro, he the BFG 6800GT. We immediately did frames/sec tests in Doom3, HL2, and Pacific Fighters. The 6800GT pulled ahead in all three, and CRUSHED the ATI card in Doom3.

I returned mine that night and got a 6800GT. And had been on ATI cards for awhile (9700pro, 9800xt).

BTW - buy it at CompUSA, then buy the TAP for it (tech assurance plan or some such junk). 39 bucks. Use it for a year, turn it in, get a new card. Now your price just halved across the two cards. TAP that one. Use it for a year, turn it in, get a new one. Price is now 1/3 acrss the three cards. TAP that one.... see where I'm going here?

Aside from the initial outlay for the first card, you're picking up new cards every year for ~$39. If you're like me and upgrade alot, its worth it. I used to research prices on Pricewatch.com and religiously buy from the lowest vendor there. Get stuck with one lemon and deal with the hassle of mail returns, and it ain't worth it. Besides, you'll beat Pricewatch prices via this strat (over time) and its local.

Mowgil, the card has to 'break' in order to get it replaced right? And to add to that, it has to be a manufactures defect?

Even if it 'broke', and looked to not be 'abuse' after a year, wouldn't they still replace it with the same card (cards just don't go away after a year). Or do you get the original purchase price at that point to buy whatever you want?

I've had really bad luck with extended warranties from brick and mortar stores and don't trust them. That's why I'm so questioning.

Neo - no. DragKnee has it right: dollar for dollar. No it doesn't need to be broke. I tell em its broke, though. But I've yet to have them ask any questions, they just look in the box to see if its actually in there, lol.

For example, the price of my 9800xt last year was $499. This time i went in they were out of the x800xt and the 6800ultra, which are the current $499 cards. So I got a 6800GT (a $399) card and a $100 gift card. I took $39 of that giftcard and TAP'd this last card. So, in a year when I want a new card I can get a $399 card for free. Or apply that to whatever $499 card is out, dollar for dollar.

Plus the $39 fee to TAP it. (might be $49 at the $499 level)