I need advice/hints tips on handgun shooting

Rustlestiltskin

hey, i just wanted to ask you guys if you have any advice on proper handgun shooting techniques. im starting to get into the handgun scene and go shooting at ranges with friends of mine and am probably going to purchase one soon. im also thinkin bout goin into criminal justice and into law enforcement but not completely sure yet. so if anyones out there that has any pointers on shooting a handgun let me know.. thanks

-Paul

Originally posted by Venomss:

Often introduce yourself at parties by pulling up your shirt, making reference to the handgun stuffed in your jeans, and asking "We got a problem here?"

graemlins/lol.gif

Hey, moron, here's a tip: don't come on an automotive-oriented message board, ask a question about guns, and expect (1) sound advice and (2) not to get harassed.

After you're done here, be sure to log on at NRA.org and ask for their thoughts on supercharging your 2001 Cobra or if your trap speed of 113 is good enough to get you into the 11s. When they call you an idiot, post a smart-ass smilie

Then, after that, pratice your gunslinging by repeatedly tossing your loaded gun into the air and then catching it behind your back. Chicks really dig that.

Good luck, cowboy.

Hey, moron, here's a tip: don't come on an automotive-oriented message board, ask a question about guns, and expect (1) sound advice and (2) not to get harassed.

After you're done here, be sure to log on at NRA.org and ask for their thoughts on supercharging your 2001 Cobra or if your trap speed of 113 is good enough to get you into the 11s. When they call you an idiot, post a smart-ass smilie

Then, after that, pratice your gunslinging by repeatedly tossing your loaded gun into the air and then catching it behind your back. Chicks really dig that.

Good luck, cowboy.

graemlins/wtf.gif no need to get all fiesty bout it.. i was askin a serious question. this topic is in the non car related forum anyways so i dont see how you come off acting this way.. i've met you before alse through fowler. i was his friend that came up on a few dif. weekdends and rolled w/ u guys in my black 01 cobra

WTF?

A guy comes on here asking about handgun shooting techniques at shooting ranges in the Parking Lot and he gets reamed. People post about off topic stuff on this site all of the time, sports, computers, politics. The guy comes in here and ask about legally shooting a handgun in a controlled, safe environment, and you guys bash him putting him in the same stereotype as people who use guns to harm others.

Lets see who's doing this.

One dumb fuck that thinks it's a great idea to twin turbocharge a car that, despite being a 'v' engine, has all of the exhaust ports on one side of the engine.

Another one who, within their last 50 post has talked about; The Yankees, the SWK, Buckeye Football, plastic surgery, Desperado trying to flame IwishIwascool, and a strip club along with cars.

Get off of your pseudo pedestals, it's not becoming of you.

Good luck, cowboy.

Hey retard, current threads/subjects in this section:

Airplanes and why they crash

Handgun shooting tips

trojan viruses

somebody has a New EVO

Who Snowboards?

Tailgating

Lasik

ju.on : movie

old currency in circulation

Trying to find someone

Team America : movie

Why does everyone have to be assholes on here?? (he's talking about you Venomss!!!)

orthopedic doctors?

Tiger Woods 2005 video game

Yeah, so I have this Hemi...

Hendrick Motorsports takes a hit...

Movie Review: The Grudge

Anyone have G-Tech Pro they can lend out?

Racer... or ricer? quiz

TROY SMITH > ** football

Ross is suspended.... football

Electromagnetism questions

how to put a pic in my sig....?

the REAL LUMBERJACK SONG

So I'm playing Madden 2k5.. video game

I highlighted all the non-car threads. As you can see, mostly non-car related stuff in the Parking Lot. You posted in the Troy Smith thread, and the airplane thread... I didn't see you posting:

"Hey douchebags, this isn't PlaneWrecks.com"

or

"Talk about Troy Smith somewhere else assholes"

You suck ass, have a nice day. smile.gif

Originally posted by Neo:

Another one who, within their last 50 post has talked about; The Yankees, the SWK, Buckeye Football, plastic surgery, Desperado trying to flame IwishIwascool, and a strip club along with cars.

What's your point? That I post on a lot of topics that aren't car related? Congratulations, you're correct. I also post on a lot that are car related. So, don't try to skew anyone's perception here.

What's your point? That I post on a lot of topics that aren't car related? Congratulations, you're correct. I also post on a lot that are car related. So, don't try to skew anyone's perception here.

I said 'along with car related topics.' You flamed the guy for posting a gun related topic on a car board when this person is obviously an automotive enthusiast and has posted numerous topics of his own, and replied to others car related topics. Sounds alot like what you or I generally post.

Originally posted by Neo:

I said 'along with car related topics.' You flamed the guy for posting a gun related topic on a car board when this person is obviously an automotive enthusiast and has posted numerous topics of his own, and replied to others car related topics. Sounds alot like what you or I generally post.

Maybe I flamed the guy a bit too much simply for posting a smackey-smilie thing. If you notice, I was just being a wise-ass in my first post in this thread; I didn't get vile until after that. In any event, maybe I was out of line.

you're doing the right thing by going into a safe enviroment with people who are experienced.my tip is this. at the range find the old guys,and ask them what they like to shoot before dropping big cash on your own piece.also consider caliber,as alot of people prefer different makes and models for different calibers.someone that tells you to get a glock for every application is probably biased,and inexperienced.also there's a few places that have loaner guns you can shoot,that helps alot when early in the purchase process.

As to the topic at hand. I have learned many things in my life, how to correctly ride a motorcycle, how to setup networks, how to drive a car and on and on. The learning process for almost all of these where the same, I went to a school of some kind for it.

New Albany has shooting classes, hit them up. Or, as some people in the above threads have suggested in their own subtl way, hang out at a shooting range and ask the experienced guys how to correct this or that.

Repetition, plain and simple. Different things work for different people. The only way you'll find out what works for you is range time. The more you shoot, the more comfortable you'll become with the gun in your hands, and the more "in tune" you'll be with its firing motion. Once you're relaxed with the weapon, you can focus on your accuracy.

Hmmm, there were a FEW points of interest somewhere in the bullshit.

Now answering your question. And this comes from a guy that is accurate to AT LEAST the level that is required for law enforcement qualification with ANY pistol from a High Point 9mm, to a 45/70 Thompson Center Contender or a S/W 500 Magnum.

First thing... learn GUN SAFETY, the proper way to handle, transport, clean and care for a pistol.

Second, DON'T BUY A CANNON for your first gun.

I have shot the biggest to be shot, the 454 Casull, 500 Mag, and the 45/70 TC Contender (45/70 was a buffalo long gun in original design)

here are the TWO reasons

1. cost, 500 mag will cost you 3.75 EVERY time you pull the trigger. You have to shoot ALOT to get good, with that sort of cost, you WILL go broke getting good.

2. PAIN, shooting these guns, in repetition will HURT, and I don't put ANY faith to those of you that question that. He who wants to prove it, setup a time and we will go shoot, you get through two boxes of 500 or 454 and I will buy the ammo. These cannons hurt to shoot. Get something that is NOT going to wear your ass out shooting in repetition nor that cost you so much to shoot that you drop a $200 a weekend for ammo.

I started with a bullbarrel Ruger 22, shot bricks of 22's through it, and got good at shooting, and found when I started shooting other guns, that MOST pistols, shoot very similar. They may feel different, the big ones kick harder, but it's all the same when you aim and shoot.

A couple of other things, stay away from the junk, High Point Arms and that sort of shit will give you problems, that will turn you off to shooting. My personal advice is a 1911 style 45. This is a design, regardless of manufacture, that is proven to work. It's been around for a LONG time and there are many different models around to be had. The idea of having high capacity clips is for people that can't shoot. If you can't hit and stop a target with 7 rounds, you need a shotgun or a flamethrower not a gun that holds more bullets.

The other thing to do, I'd find a location that is close to home to shoot and hopefully for free. If you drop $30 for range time, and another $20 for ammo, that's one box. If you have a field to shoot in that means that you get to shoot twice as much (2 boxes of ammo and not just one) which means you will get better quicker.

if you've never shot before take a class. start with something small 22 32 38 shop around for a weapon that feels comftorble and balanced in your hand what works for person x might not feel right to you. I would go to a range that rents guns and try a few on for size and pick the one you like. I'm a big fan of the 45 but I started with a 22 revolver. good luck