HDTV newbie.. Need some advice...

UNV MI Z

Well I just bought a 62" Toshiba DLP tv. It is hd ready so I called up Dish network to find out what all I needed to receive HD channels. At the end of the conversation I was pissed. They said it's going to cost me $200 for the box and a $5 a month charge for renting it. Also, I won't be able to receive local HD channels, I have to have another antenna...

My question, what service are you guys using for HDTV?? What is you monthly cost, who has the best deals??

I have a DVR right now and I want to keep it, but DISH says the only way I can get HD on my tv and have DVR is to purchase their HD/DVR box which is $550. I talked to a buddy who has Time warner and he said he has an HD/DVR box and it only runs him like $8/month..

So I would like some advice on the best provider and what cost would be. Also, I read Time Warner doesnt offer ABC or FOX in HD, so if I went with them would I need to buy an Antenna to receive these?? If so, how does that antenna hook up?? does it hook into the box or what.

I appreciate any help that you guys can give me. I am frustrated with DISH and I feel like they want way too much money for this stuff. Any help you guys can give would be great.

thanks,

seth

I really felt like beating the crap out of the dish then sending it back to them in little pieces.

B- why do you say DLP sucks?? From all the reviews I read and the people I talked to, DLP seemed the good way to go. I did shop around and compared many different tv's and types, and the Toshiba IMHO had the best pq.

Still looking for more opinions on different providers and about receiving the local channels especiall since time warner doesnt have abc or fox. I also must have a dvr, that is a necessity. It doesn't however have to be able to record HD programs. SD programming is fine.

All input is appreciated..

Seems like most people have time warner. If I went with them could I just get an OTA antenna to pick up ABC and FOX in HD?? Would this antenna just plug into the HD box from time warner?

thanks for the input so far, still looking for other possible options.

thanks

So if I went with TW, I would need an additional HD box and an OTA antenna to receive FOX/ABC HD. If I did this then how would all of this hook up??? Would the receiver I buy hook into the TW one somehow?? As you can tell, I am very new to this. I know a little about it, but not much.

Does anyone use WOW as their cable provider?? I was thinking someone on here worked for WOW, but I am not sure. I checked their website and they offer HD channels plus the local channels in HD along with a DVR. Anyone have experience with them?

Breaking it down: I have 3 tvs.

1 HDTV - Toshiba: needs HD box and DVR(also want to receive my local HD channels on this tv.)

2: TV in bedroom - needs regular digital cable box with DVR

3: TV in office - only needs to get cable

I want to be able to have DVR on 2 tvs, HD on 1, and the other only needs cable. That's my goal.

If anyone has any experience with WOW please chime in.

thanks

I use tw as well. For the money you get reliable cable and internets. I've had very few problems with my hd dvr.

If you want to pick up an ota receiver you should look into the LG receiver/hd upconverting dvd player combo. You'll start hooking up so many toys now you'll begin to run out of inputs. That dual unit takes place of two different boxes, just something to consider. I have 2 component inputs and a dvi input for my 50" hitachi. I have an xbox, ps2, hd dvr and 2 dvd players (and soon a hd ota receiver)all that want one of those 3 inputs. I bought a system selector pro, can be had at best buy for about 90 bucks. It allows 9 seperate inputs with one output. The only draw back is you have to hand touch the unit to switch it. You'll most likely be getting up to put in a dvd anyhow so you'll probably be close enough to hit it. Something to consider. Nice purchase btw.

Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it. I finally talked to someone at DISH today who actually knows a little bit about their products.

I found out that I can get the 811HD receiver and hook it up to my tv while still retaining the current stb I have. This will allow me to retain my DVR functions while not having to purchase some outrageously priced HD/DVR box.

I can use the 811 box for all of my viewing and only have to switch to my DVR box whenever I want to record something or watch something I have recorded.

The plus side is I will receive all the local channels in HD through Dish since their receivers have an input for my OTA antenna.

So I think I will try this out and hopefully it works the way I think it will. Again, I appreciate everyone's responses.

thanks,

seth