????MILITARY DRAFT LOOMING????

leez

Nader tells youths to brace for draft

By Steve Miller

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Presidential candidate Ralph Nader this weekend warned his constituents that a military draft is pending, and asked younger voters to prepare.

The independent candidate noted that the federal government is filling seats on local draft boards as preparation for a reinstatement of the draft, which was eliminated in 1973.

"The Pentagon is quietly recruiting new members to fill local draft boards, as the machinery for drafting a new generation of young Americans is being quietly put into place," Mr. Nader said in a press release sent out to constituents and posted on his Web site during the weekend.

"Young Americans need to know that a train is coming, and it could run over their generation in the same way that the Vietnam War devastated the lives of those who came of age in the sixties."

Kevin Zeese, a spokesman for the Nader campaign, said draft boards are being rebuilt "right now" and that the demands on the U.S. military are growing.

"I don't think that Ralph feels that the draft is imminent, but we are looking at the shortage of troops in Iraq and the calls from [senator John] Kerry for 40,000 more troops. What Ralph is saying is that if students don't start to organize right now, it will be too late," Mr. Zeese said.

Rumors of a draft reinstatement emerged in the fall when the Selective Service announced that it was recruiting members for the nation's 2,000 local draft and appeals boards. A Selective Service spokesman said yesterday that the announcement was made to help fill spots on the boards, as many members' 20-year terms ended.

"It was misread then," said the spokesman, Pat Schuback. "Their terms are expiring right now, and that's what is going on."

"We're prepared to do our jobs here if needed," he said. "And it is important for us to be ready. The administration has been very clear about wanting to keep this volunteer, and we understand that. We let the politicians do the politics."

He noted that Selective Service, a branch of the Justice Department, has seen personnel numbers drop recently. The agency went from 166 full-time staffers in fiscal 2003 to 156 this year.

Another third-party candidate, Libertarian Aaron Russo, has joined Mr. Nader in warning Americans that a draft is a real possibility, despite denials from all quarters of the Bush administration.

Mr. Russo, one of three front-runners vying for the Libertarian nomination, said at a party forum in Virginia last month that "the draft is a bipartisan effort between Republicans and Democrats that will start after the 2004 presidential election, for obvious reasons," a prediction he repeats on his campaign Web site.

It would take legislative action by Congress to reinstate the draft, which was ended in 1973, about two months before the last U.S. troops were withdrawn from Vietnam. Registration with the Selective Service was halted from 1975 to 1980, but was reinstated under President Carter after Russia invaded Afghanistan.

A bill was drafted by South Carolina Sen. Ernest F. Hollings in January 2003, putting in place the parameters for a draft. Its House companion legislation was introduced simultaneously by New York Rep. Charles B. Rangel. Both lawmakers are Democrats.

The bills have gone nowhere, though, and nothing is expected to come from them.

Young men today are still required to register with the Selective Service within 30 days of their 18th birthdays. There are 15 million men ages 18 to 25 registered with the agency.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im a pretty liberal mother sucker but this article is grossly misleading.

There is in fact a position search due to the simple fact that many of those in these positions now are retiring. There is also a bill thats been stuck in congress that would require mandatory military service. That too wont pass.

Those who saw Vietnam first hand will not let their sons be used in yet another conflict that is falsely branded under the preached "imminent threat" label. Before against communism, now against "terrorism".

Hopefully their will NOT BE A DRAFT. My father was drafted unwillingly into Vietnam. He went, and served his three years. My family as a whole has been in the military, and I am not interested.

My dad feels that he served so that my brother and I didn't have to unless we wanted too. I agree.

-Marc

Nader is full of shit. But just to be on the safe side. Vote Bush and there will be no worry. Democrats are for the draft, so they can dodge it. Bush will not reinstate the draft. It was created by democrats, Selective Service was reinstated by Jimmy Carter, a democrat. And Kerry is promicing 10 million new jobs, the ONLY way that a sitting president can create jobs is drafting people. So that's his master plan. 10 million new drafted military personnal.

Guest Ranger_Man
meh, military wouldnt be that bad. i mean, getting to shoot people of other races in the face without being called, "racist" might actually be kinda entertaining.

Originally posted by Desperado:

And Kerry is promicing 10 million new jobs, the ONLY way that a sitting president can create jobs is drafting people. So that's his master plan. 10 million new drafted military personnal.

I seriously hope this whole post is tounge and cheek. That is Ridiculous.

I swear 18-20yr olds will buy into anything
+1

Originally posted by iwishiwascool:

I seriously hope this whole post is tounge and cheek. That is Ridiculous.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />I swear 18-20yr olds will buy into anything

+1</font>Yes, I was kidding, to a point, I don't know that Kerry would really do this. But a sitting president can not create jobs. Other than military jobs. Now as far as the creation of the draft and it's use. Yes, created by democrats, used by democrats, Every time. You DO NOT NEED a draft when America is under attack. Men and women from 16 to 61 ran to sign up for military duty after 911, they did the same thing after Pearl Harbor. It our freedom is at risk, a draft is not needed, volinteers will be at the local recruiters station lined up outside to join up. That's part of what it means to be an American.

I wont happen sadly. Personally there is nothing wrong with the military speaking from personal experence. Oh Aaron you won't be shoooting any weapons (guns) when your stuck on a aircraft carrier tongue.gif . Secondly if there wasa draft not everyone will be in the front line. There are plenty of jobs that would keep half or better states side and in other noncombat areas.

Originally posted by Doug:

I got to "Ralph Nader" and stopped reading.

Originally posted by Beer Guy:

meh, military wouldnt be that bad. i mean, getting to shoot people of other races in the face without being called, "racist" might actually be kinda entertaining.

best posts in here

the idea of a draft is rediculous, we would remove our forces from iraq before drafting

Um... Bush just claimed that his administration "Created" 100,000 jobs last quarter.

You are taking the term too literally. Its much more complicated that you are interpreting it as. Bush claims to have and Kerry intends to create an environment, by using gonvernment incentives and policy, that creates demand for more workers.

This is done in a million different ways.

Roosevelt did it in the most literal sense with his Works Progress Administration, which employed over 4 million people in 1935. His Public Works Administration established in 1933, the Civilian Works Administration, the Civilian Conservation Corps, and the National Youth Administration all created government sponsored jobs. Milton Friedman, an economist, claims that these programs actually kill more jobs in the private sector than they create on the whole. oops.

Other ways include incentives to business startups or even big business: tax breaks, grants, subsidizations, tariff adjustments, etc. This is the much more common modern way of "Creating" jobs. Basicly Kerry promises to restimulate the economy.

Will he do it, I sure dont know.

/ib4YoureTheBiggestDorkEver

Nader is full of shit. But just to be on the safe side. Vote Bush and there will be no worry. Democrats are for the draft, so they can dodge it. Bush will not reinstate the draft. It was created by democrats, Selective Service was reinstated by Jimmy Carter, a democrat. And Kerry is promicing 10 million new jobs, the ONLY way that a sitting president can create jobs is drafting people. So that's his master plan. 10 million new drafted military personnal.

I'd rather bite off my toes than vote him back in office tongue.gif If a draft is re-instated, then I will go serve... reluctantly of course because I don't believe in what we are fighting for.... but there is no way I would run to canada or run from my duty

Guest jpurdy2003
Originally posted by MadMalibu:

Dont get me wrong here...I would NEVER dodge the draft. -Marc

I sure as shit would. Shit, I might go to Canada without a draft.

Originally posted by Jack Pee:

I sure as shit would. Shit, I might go to Canada without a draft.

But you also pee on the oppisite sex so noone really cares about or puts any stock in anything you would do.

Originally posted by Peekachoo:

I'd rather bite off my toes than vote him back in office...

Agreed, but I'm not going to put the tongue.gif on there because I am not kidding at all. :D

http://rollinlow.net/bush.gif

Guest jpurdy2003
Originally posted by My name... is Neo:

But you also pee on the oppisite sex so noone really cares about or puts any stock in anything you would do..

How the fuck does this relate to politics or the draft? It was funny the first couple of times, but dragging that into every thread is getting annoying.

Shit, if I cured cancer you all would probably still say "that's nice, but he peed on a hoe back in the day." Give it a rest.