Track Bike

Disclaimer

Drag racing is fun and all, but I'm ready to broaden my horizons... I've said a ton of times that I want to get into road racing and am actively looking at dedicated track bikes.

All you current road racers out there have a ton of knowledge I'd like to tap into. I've been shopping for leathers (AStars), gloves, equipment etc., but I want to know what are the 'must look for' when looking at a bike. Since Lizards rides were a little out of my price range for a newbie road racer, I was wondering what your opinions were on this bike:

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=180676

It's got everything I'm looking for, basically just that it's been safety wired, it's fuel injected, it's cheap, and it has a title (albeit a PA salvage title). Is there anything particular I need to know about 600 GSX-Rs that I make sure to ask the guy this weekend or before I look at it? I've done a lot of research and read reviews, but first hand experiences from you guys (and previous owners) would be helpful.

Also, has anyone had any experience putting out-of-state salvage title bikes back on the road?? I was figuring worse-case, I could put it on the street if I got sick of racing or it became too expensive and time consuming...thoughts?

Thanks in advance! :bow::bow:

I don't know much about GSXRs but it seems like a fair price. I'd check out the title to make sure it's been properly notarized and all that. Kinda weird the guy lives in OH but has a PA on the bike....he must be trying to save on taxes by not getting an OH title?:confused: Also, if you buy...you must repaint it. That has to be the ugliest paint job I have ever seen.:D

That isn't bad, but you should be able to find one that has the suspension upgrades for not to much more. Figure if you want to set it up for track you are looking at $1100 min to get a Shock and Forks done to minimum upgrade

When looking just have to see pics and look for marks on the frame, try to get one with some suspension upgrades. 3000 miles is pretty good as that bike probably saw 2k of it at least on the street.

Unless your gonna jimmy rig a street setup it would cost more then you paid for the bike to put it back to street ready unless you buy a bike that has all the street stuff with it.

I would at least stay away from 06 and up R6s for track as I have seen way to many motors blow this year.

GSXRs never really had any issues that I can remember (Lizard would know more) and Honda's if you can stand to sit on them are always good. Also the strongest 600 is the Kawi with the 636 motor and is legal in WERA and CCS to run against the 600s.

Ask a ton of questions. (Wrecked, was the frame checked for straightness, etc, check the turn stops out and that will tell you if its been down hard if they are broken off. miles on the motor? how many are track miles, Oli change intervals, etc etc.. ) you will start spending more money really quick once your doing track days. )

I've seen a lot of them with Ohlins on the rear, and I know the old adage that "$1 toward suspension would get you more than $1 toward engine work" -- but would a novice like me notice a night/day difference between the good stuff and the stock stuff?

While I'd like to get some experience and eventually get competitive, this is mostly an endeavor to enhance my street skills should I ever get in a situation where I might need them, so using a street/stock suspension would let me find their limits as opposed to the limit of some nice suspension goodies.

And as far as the street -- I'd just do the bare minimum / jimmy rig it if I had to, just so I can get plates on it and ride it around for shits and giggles when I'm not feeling like busting out the 'busa.

I've seen a lot of them with Ohlins on the rear, and I know the old adage that "$1 toward suspension would get you more than $1 toward engine work" -- but would a novice like me notice a night/day difference between the good stuff and the stock stuff?

While I'd like to get some experience and eventually get competitive, this is mostly an endeavor to enhance my street skills should I ever get in a situation where I might need them, so using a street/stock suspension would let me find their limits as opposed to the limit of some nice suspension goodies.

And as far as the street -- I'd just do the bare minimum / jimmy rig it if I had to, just so I can get plates on it and ride it around for shits and giggles when I'm not feeling like busting out the 'busa.

But you have to have some sort of headlight, tail light and turn signals in OH.

But even if it is a standard Penske,TTx, Ohlins, and there are a couple others shock with the correct spring you will feel a difference. As the spring stock on that bike is only for someone about 150lbs and still soft for track use.

Flouder can attest to how much better a basic suspension upgrade feels.

Now I doubt you (or I) could tell the difference between the $650 Ohlins and $1000 Ohlins I agree... But Getting correct fork springs and better valving will make a difference that you can feel.

Dude, that thing has been at a few track events we have been to. It is pretty beat and rough. I'll sell you mine for $6k with no spares and OEM rotors. I know it is $1500 more, but trust me on this - it's worth every cent.

I'll throw in a few small things like levers, etc and even a few take-offs, but for $6k and what I got, it's a deal...

If we were only talking $1500 more then I'd consider it... but this guy is asking $3200, and I'm sure if I bring cash I can get it for a little less. $6k is double what my budget allows -- I still have to figure out equipment (stands, tools, leathers,etc) and transport (my truck is lifted, so it's a PITA to get it in the bed - I'm looking at trailers) which will end up adding another $3-4k to my total racing bill.

If we were only talking $1500 more then I'd consider it... but this guy is asking $3200, and I'm sure if I bring cash I can get it for a little less. $6k is double what my budget allows -- I still have to figure out equipment (stands, tools, leathers,etc) and transport (my truck is lifted, so it's a PITA to get it in the bed - I'm looking at trailers) which will end up adding another $3-4k to my total racing bill.

To start off get ya a small open trailer for about $700-$900 and here are some cheap stands that are very good (still using my original set after 3 years http://www.handyindustries.com/shop/product_view.asp?idProduct=167&D=1&S=4 )

If they also make a stand that mounts in the steering stem for fork height adjustments.

To start off get ya a small open trailer for about $700-$900 and here are some cheap stands that are very good (still using my original set after 3 years http://www.handyindustries.com/shop/product_view.asp?idProduct=167&D=1&S=4 )

If they also make a stand that mounts in the steering stem for fork height adjustments.

Those stands look nice... I was considering a set of these (http://www.redlinestands.com/sportbikestand.htm) or these (http://www.redlinestands.com/swivelsportbikestand.htm)

This is probably one of the most informative threads that I read in awhile. Kudos to all that have replied, for I am in the same situation and looking to get started on the track myself.

Again, not trying tp oversell or bash the other guy's bike but, consider these things:

1) The bike you are looking at is stock suspended. It'll need addressed as soon as a few events should you become decent. Plus, it'll cause you to be limited in what you can do. I have a Penske triple that is fresh and forks with 25mm inserts. That's almost $3k in suspension alone...

2) The bike I have can come with a rear stand free. I can't give you a front one, but you'd be set on a rear.

3) The bike you're looking at is a stock motor and while probably ok, will most likely be a tired old soul. 3k track miles is time for a refresh... That's at least a grand...

I'd wager that by end of next year, you'll have dumped over $2k in that machine just to keep it up to par. If you do suspension and buy it on the cheap, you'll be at about $1500 and that's being generous.

Just think it through. Buying a previously set-up bike is fine, but there are a ton more better choices out there. If you want $3-$4k, I'd buy an R6 in that year. The GSXR600 is a turd... Plus, there are a lot of R6 parts out there in case.

If you really don't care and just want a bike, the plus side is that they have a shit pile of parts for 01-05 GSXR600s out there...

Honestly i agree with Lizard. I think its a tad overpriced too with a salvage title. If ur lucky, you can prolly find a cheap 600RR in ur price range. Or maybe look into SV's (carb'd i believe) or F4i's (FI) I've heard theyre great track bikes for beginners. GL

if you want a cheap track bike. get an SV650. that's what i started on. best bike to learn on. it'll teach you how to ride properly without having soo much power on hand to get yourself in trouble. sv's are basically bullet proof and you can get on the cheap. plus they are very capable bikes. my buddy was running 1.36's at mid-ohio on his SV650 superstock bike, that's right at the AMA supersport bump time. the bike will teach you how to ride properly without being able to hide your inabilities with horsepower. if you wanna turn quick laps on the SV it's all about cornerspeed, and that is how you go fast in roadracing.

I've been hardcore looking for SV's... that's my FIRST choice, but I refuse to get a carbed one. This limits me to 2003-newer.

The decent setup ones in those years are either too expensive or too far away, AND it's rare enough to find someone that wants to get rid of one.

My second choice was a heavyweight twin (TLR), just for the fact that I'm used to heavy bikes, and they seem really cheap -- the problem with those is that the aftermarket support is all but nil, so I'm stuck with the setup I buy unless I get someone to custom fab stuff for me when I need it -- my dad and brother are capable of doing that, but I really don't want to impose.

Lizard, you make some good points which I've already considered, and you've made some additional points that I'm glad you posted in here because of some of the other nuances that I was unaware of... I'm not hellbent on buying that bike in particular and appreciate everyones feedback.

I agree with lizard here.. Take it from me. I already had my 750 and I have spent well over 2K just for suspension, tires, rearsets, etc. If your going to buy a prepped bike, buy one that is completely prepped or else your going to spend the money anyway if not more. If your thinking about racing and the $2500 difference is bothering you between the bike your looking at and Lizards bike then you really need to reconsider what you want to do because your goign to drop way more then that to get into it.

just some things to think about.

can i ask why you don't want one of the carbed bikes? I haven't ridden one, but i've raced against plenty of guys with the carbed bikes. I sold my '04 SV racebike, which has won 5 championships(3with me) for $3500 IIRC with spare wheels and parts. check out www.svrider.com. i'll hop on there and look tonite

can i ask why you don't want one of the carbed bikes?

I've been spoiled going from my 1987 Hurricane to my 2003 Hayabusa... fuel injection is way better, technologically, makes more power, and can be tuned much easier than a carbed bike. I don't have anything necessarily against them, I just want the reliability of a FI bike.

That bike was also posted on the WERA forum... it was sold before I could get to it.

And the 06 the owndjoo posted I've seen (I can't tell you how many forums I troll - WERA, NESBA, SVRIDER, OR.net ;)), but it's too far. I don't want to make the drive to WI.

Keep posting though, whatever you guys run across.

i gotcha, just wanna say that the carbed sv's are just as good. and the great thing with these bikes is that you tune 'em once on the dyno and that's it. i'm just lookin at a price point. the carbed bikes are gonna be cheaper and just as good. especially if you find a carbed superbike