How motorcycles get dropped...

DangBruhY

Last march, 1 week after buying a '05 Boulevard, while moving my bike to gain access to the garage cabinets behind it, a single loop of thread from the carpet runner caught and pulled back on the kickstand; not enough for it to flip up and hit the stop, but far enough that when I leaned the bike back to the left, it just kept on going.

No damage to the bike, but the clutch lever put a nice crease in the hood of my car

Man, that reminds me of that dumb TV show called "1,000 ways to die."

They come up with some of the most improbably shit.... but then... Maybe some of it has happened once.

In your case, it had to snag the loop just right, retract enough to keep going once the weight was on it, but not enough that you'd head it snap back up.

I once dropped a 1991 GSX-R750 as I was lubing the chain. Didn't have a center stand so I would spray a section and then roll bike forward, set on stand and spray some more. I must have pushed bike forward just bit before the stand was completely off the ground forcing it backward just a little bit. I sat the bike on the stand and stepped behind it just in time to watch it roll forward off the stand in slow motion. I grabbed the bike but could not stop the fall entirely. First scratches on that one. Oooops. Didn't do that again.

Also dropped same bike at Daytona Beach. Wanted to get a picture by the water you know. I knew the sand would not hold bike so I went and found a can to smash and use under kickstand. OK, waves are coming to about here so I will park bike a few feet out of the waves. I walk back to take pictures of my pride and joy on the beach at bike week when Uh oh, rogue wave comes further up than the others and washes sand out from under stand. This tip over also happened in slow motion but I was about 15 yards back trying to get the picture and could not get to the bike fast enough. Luckily just a broken mirror.

Perfect place to tell my story from the CSBA Ride from 8/21. So it was on 260 (right hutch?) and left turn with drop in elevation. First time on these roads and I felt like I was carrying too much speed into the corner (probably not though) and I panicked and barely squeezed the front brake. I'm sure anyone could write what happened next... Bike stopped turning for a moment, went straight into the rock bed on the right side of the road and the front tire turned, dug in, and dumped the bike and me over the handlebars. I cussed, made sure nothing was broken and lifted the bike up and it started right up thanks goodness. 2 of the guys came back to make sure I was ok and off we went. Replaced the broken turn signal and thats really the only "broken" piece on the bike. Scratched to shit but its all good.

That's my story.

It's been something reading all these for sure... (this should probably go into into a wreck thread if one exists... mods?)

Edited by FIJI-9-Brother
wreck not drop

Had the kick stand of my Honda 750 sink into hot asphalt a few times, but the most spectacular fail was when I pulled all the way up to a concrete parking thing and decided to rock a sick burnout. Grabbed some brake, opened her up and dumped the clutch.....should have grabbed more brake. Bike reared like a rabid unicorn, wheelied into the parking thing, then took flight and sailed right over a sidewalk and into a brick wall. A foot to the left and it would have been a plate glass window. Upon impact I slid ip the tank so used I put a football-sized dent in it with my junk. Bike fell over to the left, bent the forward controls and broke off a blinker. Broke the kickstand shoulder bolt, dented the header and I got a sprained wrist for about 9 months....haven't tried to do a burnout since.

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

Finally dropped the new bike and man was it a bitch to get back up! Way heavier than the ninja HA! Came home last night around 1am and was freezing my ass off so I was in a hurry to get off the bike and into the house, so I threw it in neutral, turned it off, locked the handlebars and proceeded to lean the bike to the side and get off. Well right as I realized I forgot the kick stand my hands had already loosened from the handlebars and I couldn't grip it quick enough. Luckily I keep my spare car and motorcycle tires next to where I park my bike and it fell on them instead of the ground but man was I pissed at how dumb I was! :lol:

Only a complete and utter moron would forget to put his kickstand down.

And as such, I inituate you into the Complete and Utter Moron Brotherhood, of which I am a founding member.

(It's even more embarrrasing when you do that same thing in front of a carful of cute girls trying to look badass... "Hey ladies. Like the bike? It's, it's.... argh!.... IT'S ON MY LEG!!")

• 7 months later...

finally had my derp moment.

Rode into work on Friday, and hit Sam's club for gas. Friday's, the pumps are packed! Snuck up between two large vehicles to an open pump(before they repositioned). Felt really smug! (should have been a warning)

Killed the engine, and started to hop off....forgot about that pesky kick-stand...caught the bike before it hit the pavement, but I could see the dudes in the pickups laughing at me...I deserved that one....

My stupid moment was stalling a cold bike as I was pulling out of a parking lot. I was leaned enough there was no way to hold it without forward momentum. :cry:

I hopped off and tried to throw it back up by the handle bars and realized that a Vstrom is a little heavier than a Ninja 250 :)

However it went up easy once I used proper technique. That technique you see on YouTube really does work. :D

When I got home I checked the idle adjustment and bumped it up a few hundred RPMs. I havn't stalled the bike sense.

Craig

I pulled a great one this past weekend. I had the bike up on a floor jack, and then put jackstands under the swingarm like I always do to pull the rear tire off. I get the tire changed out, and start to put it back on the bike, not realizing that the bike was barely balanced by the jackstands and the majority of the weight was still on the floor jack. So, getting the tire in place I bumped the right jackstand out from under the bike, and down it went. I have a hard time believing how little damage was done. The bike is a DL650 Vstrom. The right hand signal was completely and utterly destroyed. The right plastic front panel was dented in pretty far. I sat there looking at it, and suddenly "POP!" the thing pops out to it's normal shape. There is some scuffing on the panel and the signal will have to be replaced, but that was the worst of it.

My drop came in a Harley dealership parking lot. Pulled up to a parking space doing a tight U-turn to back in and grabbed the brake a bit hard with the front wheel hard over to the left. Went to put my foot down, unfortunately it landed on some stones and out went my foot. I was able to hop off before the bike hit the ground and held it up for a bit but was just too heavy for the grip I had. Had to set it down, re-grip and lift it back up again.

The sales people wouldn't even talk to me. Weird. :dunno:

• Upvote 1

I pulled a great one this past weekend. I had the bike up on a floor jack, and then put jackstands under the swingarm like I always do to pull the rear tire off. I get the tire changed out, and start to put it back on the bike, not realizing that the bike was barely balanced by the jackstands and the majority of the weight was still on the floor jack. So, getting the tire in place I bumped the right jackstand out from under the bike, and down it went. I have a hard time believing how little damage was done. The bike is a DL650 Vstrom. The right hand signal was completely and utterly destroyed. The right plastic front panel was dented in pretty far. I sat there looking at it, and suddenly "POP!" the thing pops out to it's normal shape. There is some scuffing on the panel and the signal will have to be replaced, but that was the worst of it.

That was my experience with the damage on my Vstrom also. I had crash bars so only the front turn signal needed replaced. And it still operated.

Craig

That was my experience with the damage on my Vstrom also. I had crash bars so only the front turn signal needed replaced. And it still operated.

Craig

The funny thing is, a few years ago I had bumped it off the sidestand with the mower deck and smashed the left front. I epoxied it back together, until about a month ago when I replaced it with a new one. A few weeks later and I smash the other one, :D

Walking the VFR backwards into a parking spot in the gravel at my girlfriends old place....I thought I was in total control....moving slowly......next thing I know its on top of me

Damned gravel

Same here, I was walking it slowly on gravel and the nest thing its on me and my leg.

Funny I would see this now.... Yesterday, I was washing my bike and put it up on the rear stand so I could clean rear rim and chain. Put the kick stand up so i could get to the fairing behind it. Forgot it was up and took it off the rear stand. The only damaged that occurred was to the left bar end. F4i's are tanks....

• 1 month later...

Ive watched two friends drop bikes because their pantleg and shoe laces got caught on the heel guard of their sportbikes. Happened to me once, but I realized it before coming to a complete stop...friends weren't so lucky.