Questions for renters

Gergwheel1647545492

Hey i know alot of people on here rent. I am looking at getting an apartment and im trying to figure out how much it will cost me a month to live there. It has gas heat/water heater, electric appliances, and a/c, its a 2 bed, 2 bath and its just going to be me and 1 roomate. So does anyone have any clue how much gas, electric, and water would cost me a month? I have never reanted an apartment before where i had to pay for these things, and i have no idea what they cost.

Guest Scooter

Well, gas prices are going up, which WILL affect your gas heating this winter. However, depending on the gas company, you can call them and ask to be put on a "budget". What this does is give you a flat rate each month. You could spend $150 on gas, but only have to pay $50. The cons are if you spend under $50, you will still have to pay $50. This normally only happens in the summer, though, when you aren't using gas heating. By the way, the $50 is just an example. What they set you at could be higher or lower.

Does the apartment pay for water, or garbage? Those are more "utilities" that you will have to pay if they do not for you. Lots of apartments pay for garbage, and more and more and not paying for water anymore.

Also, food. Don't forget that. Depending on how much you eat affects this. Clipping coupons is a great thing! I saved $50 on my last grocery trip, out of $200, so my bill was $150. Think about it...

Cable, internet, phone... All these things add up. Of course, I didn't get a house phone, my cell phone has free long distance, 3 way, call waiting, caller ID, 411 directory, voicemail, etc. Why would I want a house phone?

So, basically, all these extra costs come down to how frugal you are. Look to spend anywhere from $100-$300 on utilities a month, depending on what you choose to live with or without (cable + internet can easily hit near $100 a month).

Hey i know alot of people on here rent. I am looking at getting an apartment and im trying to figure out how much it will cost me a month to live there. It has gas heat/water heater, electric appliances, and a/c, its a 2 bed, 2 bath and its just going to be me and 1 roomate. So does anyone have any clue how much gas, electric, and water would cost me a month? I have never reanted an apartment before where i had to pay for these things, and i have no idea what they cost.

Water should be no more than 15 dollars a month, electric somewhere around 35 bucks depending on the weather, and gas will be cheap unless you have gas heat...even then it's cheap

-Marc

I have to pay for everything except trash pickup. It is 1055 sq. ft. 2nd floor, Probably be on an end apartment. I called time warner yesterday, standard cable and rr is 69.95 a month, and i figured we would each spend $100 on groceries a month. So all i really need to know is gas, water, and electric. Also my roomate is going to be a female, so that might make the gas and water bill higher.

I have to pay for everything except trash pickup. It is 1055 sq. ft. 2nd floor, Probably be on an end apartment. I called time warner yesterday, standard cable and rr is 69.95 a month, and i figured we would each spend $100 on groceries a month. So all i really need to know is gas, water, and electric. Also my roomate is going to be a female, so that might make the gas and water bill higher.

You might want to revise your food expenditures. Im single and i take lunch to work with me everyday, and i clip coupons/find deals and i still pay 50-65 a WEEK. when you think of food, think of fast food, going out to eat, etc.. plus i live with a room mate, we share some food expenses' but for the most part he buys what he buys and i do the same.

Water should be no more than 15 dollars a month, electric somewhere around 35 bucks depending on the weather, and gas will be cheap unless you have gas heat...even then it's cheap

-Marc

I have lived on my own for YEARS and I have NEVER had a $35 electric bill, I'd like to know how you can even have one with a one bedroom place these days.

I have paid about $170 over the cost of rent on bills and that's a rough estimate.

I live in a middle unit condo, 1600 sq ft, by myself. Last month

Electric- $85

Water- $15

Gas- $12

Living on an end unit your utilities will be higher because you aren't insulated by the people around you. I did notice a drop in my electric bill with those low wattage florescent bulbs. Also my bill is kind of deceiving because I keep my A/C on like 67.

$100 will buy alot of ramen noodles :)

here are my expenses as i figure them:

Loan 133

Insurance 100

Gas 100

Cell Phone 70

Misc 200 food, smokes

Food 200/2

Rent 600/2

Cable/RR 100/2

gas 20/2

water 20/2

electric 120/2

Total 1133

Pay 1418

Leftover 285

Guest mithesaint
Your gas and electricity will vary depending on season and where you keep the thermostat. My electric has never been higher than 65, but I only set the AC to 73 at the lowest. My gas bill hit $100 last winter when it was really really cold, but I keep the thermostat at 65 during the day, and 60 at night. I'm a heat nazi:) You might not have as good of luck, due to the female roommate. Otherwise, those numbers look reasonable. Good luck. Where are you moving to?

During the summer (house at 74), my utilities are per month:

Electric: $100-$135

Gas: $10-15

Water: $30 (this includes trash/sewage as well).

In the winter (keep the house at 68):

Electric: $70-90

Gas: $100-$130 (I am dreading this winter's bill!)

Water: $25-30

3 bed, 2 bath house, tri-level, insulation could be better. When I can keep the heat/AC off, my bill goes down a TON.

As for other costs, I choose to have no landline phone as I only use my cell. I get free cable/internet (I get everything, but doubtful you have a need for $150/month in services). You'll have renters insurance, which is cheap, but my house insurance is around $40/month. And of course that lovely house payment and property taxes.

But if there are 2 of you, have to considered renting a house. For the cost of apartments lately, it seems you are better off doing that. More space, have your own yard, don't have to share walls w/ neighbors. I'd go nuts living in an apartment. But then again, I'm not into hearing a 400lb guy plowing his 280lb wife at 2am and shaking the whole damn place in the process.

-Marc

marc you must still live with mommy an daddy because you sure dont no what you are talking about.