This article really sums up the idiots in New Orleans

Nitrousbird

I whole heartedly agree, and have preached against abuse the "welfare parasites" since I started paying taxes. Much moreso as of late. As an example, last week just hours after my wage had been deposited (aka that which is left after the $2,300 I paid in taxes), I was in my local Gahanna grocery store. The woman in front of me paid for her junk food laden bounty with her foodstamp card. As I exited shortly after I noticed her loading said groceries into her late model ford taurus.

I got in my 15 year old, $1500 car knowing that I singlehandedly pay for her life.

Parasites.

This sums it up for those of you too lazy to read:

But what about criminals and welfare parasites? Do they worry about saving their houses and property? They don't, because they don't own anything. Do they worry about what is going to happen to their businesses or how they are going to make a living? They never worried about those things before. Do they worry about crime and looting? But living off of stolen wealth is a way of life for them.

The welfare state--and the brutish, uncivilized mentality it sustains and encourages--is the man-made disaster that explains the moral ugliness that has swamped New Orleans. And that is the story that no one is reporting.

"Living off of stolen wealth is a way of life for them. "

This is a statement I don't agree with. Not everyone on welfare takes advantage of the system. Unfortunately, welfare is broken. There are people that need help and can't get it, and there are people getting help that don't need it. That is the part that's fucked up. Instead of being pissed off at the people taking advantage of it, you should be pissed off at the Government officials keeping the system in place. You want your tax money to go to something worthwhile? One of two things need to happen: The government needs to change its policy on welfare, or the people on welfare need to all get jobs and stop living off of their subsidies. Which do you think will happen first?

Eli, I think that statement is directed to the people who are looting, raping, and murdering, and then sitting by and waiting for the government to fix everything.

I took what he was saying as, people who don't take advantage of the welfare system are the same people who are making an effort to restore order and help over come the disater. The people who do take advantage of the system, are the same people who are looting, shooting at rescue vehicals, raping surviving women, and jumping the doctors sent to the dome.

Well, this mess actually answers a question I have had for a long time. What happens when you take what little that a man with nothing has, and then remove any ability to control that man. This happens from time to time everywhere, the highway shooter, Malvo, Tim Mcvey. What we have here is less control, over a larger number of people. And in any group, there will be a percentage of each type of person, from the wealthy and secure to the scum of the earth. The larger the crowd, the greater the number of each group you have within the whole group. And what we have here is the equivilant of a prison break of all the inmates with no cops around (they are too busy looting the walmart).

Someone told me once, the difference between a criminal and an honest man is opertunity, well the opertunity was just given to the population of New Orleans, and we see that statement is true.

This is a statement I don't agree with. Not everyone on welfare takes advantage of the system. Unfortunately, welfare is broken. There are people that need help and can't get it, and there are people getting help that don't need it. That is the part that's fucked up. Instead of being pissed off at the people taking advantage of it, you should be pissed off at the Government officials keeping the system in place. You want your tax money to go to something worthwhile? One of two things need to happen: The government needs to change its policy on welfare, or the people on welfare need to all get jobs and stop living off of their subsidies. Which do you think will happen first?

I believe the author means that the funding for welfare is 'stolen wealth'. My opinion is that this statement is correct in that the federal government was given no authority tax and then to redistribute the taxes arbitrarily as it is a violation of Article 1, Section 8. Welfare/federal subsidies to the poor (or any 'group' based on socio-economic, gender, or race) is beyond the scope of powers granted to the Federal government in the US Constitution which defines a limited federal government of enumerated powers. The Congress has the power to tax for the General Welfare, but the meaning of 'General Welfare' of the United States has been broadend beyond it's intended meaning (as revealed in the views of Hamilton and Jefferson when commenting on this clause, and the clause itself). Of course, the Supreme Court has gotten so far away from reading the Constitution, thereby enabling Congress to pass whatever law it deems fit. Regardless, 'General Welfare' was never intended to mean 'taking money from the haves to give to have nots', but more for 'promoting the welfare of the whole' - hence construction of roads, waterways, laws to establish a common commerce infrastructure (currency), etc. Really, the next few lines of that section establish what was generally meant by 'General Welfare' - notice the absence of 'giving money to people who can't/won't work for it'?

So, in a sense, the government is stealing.

Umm what article? Seems to be a dead link.

I dont hear any of you calling for Kenneth Lay to be shot in the face, or even to be imprisoned? The few parasites out there are skimming off a very big pot, and I dont feel bad for any Walmart getting looted. On the other hand there are hundreds of very wealthy people out there who didn't earn a penny of it, and are more then willing to scavenge your entire retirement fund to sustain thier expensive lifestyles.

You people need to wake up and realize just who it is thats fuckign you. Only a tenth of a cent from your paycheck goes to welfare parasites, 50% of the rest of it goes to parasites in suits.

The purpose of your government is to serve you. Thats why you pay taxes, so it has money to do so, it's like insurance. Are you all honnestly saying that NO shouldn't get aid because 200 of its 450,000 effected residents are douschebags? If thats not what you're saying....well, WTF are you saying? What is the point of this thread?

There is a very simple and extreme solution to most urban problems;

Round up all known gang members, drug dealers, and pimps, and excute them publicly. It would solve the direct problem that is them, and provide an example to anyone else who seeks an oportunistic lifestyle.

People are products of their environment, if you want to change an entire demographic, change its environment.

found most of the article:

When confronted with a disaster, people usually rise to the occasion. They work together to rescue people in danger, and they spontaneously organize to keep order and solve problems. This is especially true in America. We are an enterprising people, used to relying on our own initiative rather than waiting around for the government to take care of us. I have seen this a hundred times, in small examples (a small town whose main traffic light had gone out, causing ordinary citizens to get out of their cars and serve as impromptu traffic cops, directing cars through the intersection) and large ones (the spontaneous response of New Yorkers to September 11).

So what explains the chaos in New Orleans 

[part removed]

...What Hurricane Katrina exposed was the psychological consequences of the welfare state. What we consider "normal" behavior in an emergency is behavior that is normal for people who have values and take the responsibility to pursue and protect them. People with values respond to a disaster by fighting against it and doing whatever it takes to overcome the difficulties they face. They don't sit around and complain that the government hasn't taken care of them. And they don't use the chaos of a disaster as an opportunity to prey on their fellow men.

But what about criminals and welfare parasites  Do they worry about saving their houses and property  They don't, because they don't own anything. Do they worry about what is going to happen to their businesses or how they are going to make a living  They never worried about those things before. Do they worry about crime and looting  But living off of stolen wealth is a way of life for them.

The welfare state...and the brutish, uncivilized mentality it sustains and encourages...is the man-made disaster that explains the moral ugliness that has swamped New Orleans. And that is the story that no one is reporting.

this thread neatly sums up all of americas problems in just a few words...

"us" and "them" vs. "we".

Quite true, but at the same time there are those that should be held accountable for creating a system which creates such a divide. The USofA will never share Japan's Community/Greater Good mentallity, Nor is it likely for a tangible enemy to Unite the nation into a "We" entity anytime soon. There are few common threads that link the cultural, socioeconomic, racial, etc, diversity that this country was founded on. BUT a strong leater who Unites rather than divides, who rallies rather than condescends, who commands a respect from a populus... who compels contrabution and inspires so much as a slight level of respect for fellow man and country could potentially decrease the very obvious and growing division between the Haves and the Have nots. As stated, if the opportunity to take advantage of the governement exists, it will be. If the system is disolved over night it would result in chaos. But a systematic change must evolve from the absolute abhorance of the social walfare system that is in place that forces those who can... to do. If not for the greater good than to avoid being swallowed by the gaping threat of social darwinism.

edit - I found my point.

BUT a strong leater who Unites rather than divides, who rallies rather than condescends, who commands a respect from a populus... who compels contrabution and inspires so much as a slight level of respect for fellow man and country could potentially decrease the very obvious and growing division between the Haves and the Have nots.

Roosevelt/FDR