How often do you guys change/flush?

Bam

Ok, My wife's 2004 Matrix just rolled 30k last month and Toyota recommends to basically flush all fluids, replace all filters etc etc. Is this just a way to make money or should I follow it? I do oil change's every 5k and she drives ALL city.

So should I change the fuel filter? The tranny fluid? The coolant? Everything? I mean we do plan on keeping the car for a good 5 years, easily 100k miles so I want to do everything to keep it in prime condition.

Thanks guys

Good point, but seeing as how we're at 33k+ today and 36k will hit before winter, Warranty is the least of our worries as we don't have much left. I just want to know if I should do it just because or if I should go like 50k, or what?

Thanks

Usually the fuel filter on a Toyota is a lifetime filter.I would check on that first.I have owned Toyota products since 1991 and have a 4runner with 245k an LS400 with 270k and my brother has a 4runner over 300k and my Dad has a 4x2 with 250k plus.I would go by the recommended maintenance as these vehicles will last a long time and resale value with records on Toyotas is stupid.(I mean high)Oh yea my wife drives an 98 Sienna LE with 115k and we follow the recommended maintenance schedule.Check you powertrain warranty usually it longer than the 3/36.

Now if I got the same work done somewhere other than the dealer, but kept documented proof of said work, this would work just as well, right?

Thanks, I know that part of the 30k recommend service by Toyota is to replace the fuel filter. It's a huge service with a bunch of crap thrown in, almost $600, I can get it done by Firestone (read Derek/Turborust on the boards) for under $200 probably.

Oil/filter

Rotate Tires

Inspect Cabin Filter

Replace air filter

Inspect spark plugs

Tighten driveshaft bolt...WTF is this?

Inspect the following:

-Ball joints and dust covers

-Brake lines and hoses

-Brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs

-Differential oil

-Drive shaft boots

-Engine coolant

-Exhaust pipes and mounting

-Fuel lines and connections, fuel tank band and fuel tank vapor vent system

-Fuel tank cap gasket

-Radiator core and condensor

-Steering gear box

-Steering linkage and boots

-Transfer case oil

-Transmission fluid/oil

Tighten nuts and bolts on chassis

Replace front differential oil

Replace manual transmission oil - It is a stick.

Replace rear differential oil - It's FWD. ???

Replace transfer case oil

Clean throttle plate

Clean and adjust rear brakes

Coolant system flush

Replace EFI fuel filter

Visual Inspection

Now basically that comes to around $700 w/ taxes and B.S. Is all this really necessary on a 2 year old car with 33k miles?

The little things I can do, plugs, fuel filter, clean TB, tighten bolts/nuts, roate tires and replace the air filter/cabin filter.

The rest, including the inspection, I'd probably just take to Derek and save my ass $500ish.

E-mail me tomorrow a kcourtright@germainlexus.com and I will get the info on the fuel filter and how much I could get you the 30k done at our Toyota Store.I will also see what fluids need to be specific ie Type IV trans fluid,red coolant and type of plugs because just about every new car we have use platinum plugs that go at least 60k some 90k.Last of all just keep your receipts if you get it done at an independent and you'll be alright.

notice it says inspect plugs not neccesarily change them. as for the fluids I would stick to it, holla at me with what exactly you need done, and I'll do all the inspection crap for free.

Derek

also depending on how she drives it could be time for some pads in the front.

• 3 weeks later...