getting to be that time of year

Mitch

It's getting to be that time of year. What do you guys do to winterize your bikes? I put my bike on the centerstand, put in stabil, started it up, let it warm up so the stabil would get into the carb, killed it,filled the tank to the very top. I then cleaned the chain and lubed it. Waxed the bike and wheels with zaino. Aired up the tires to their max pressure, (with it on the center stand only the front is touching for a risk of a flat spot, but I will turn the front weekly.) The fuel petcock does not have an off selection, so I'll leave it on run. I threw a cover over it and plugged in a battery tender and think its good to go for the winter, unless you guys have some other suggestions.

i rode during the winter last year, but this time i've got it on the front pin stand and the rear stand. i'll be pullin the whole front end and all the bodywork off. getting all the suspension done, brakes done, new bodywork, new exhaust, air filter, etc. pretty much will be a new bike for 2006.

It's getting to be that time of year. What do you guys do to winterize your bikes? I put my bike on the centerstand, put in stabil, started it up, let it warm up so the stabil would get into the carb, killed it,filled the tank to the very top. I then cleaned the chain and lubed it. Waxed the bike and wheels with zaino. Aired up the tires to their max pressure, (with it on the center stand only the front is touching for a risk of a flat spot, but I will turn the front weekly.) The fuel petcock does not have an off selection, so I'll leave it on run. I threw a cover over it and plugged in a battery tender and think its good to go for the winter, unless you guys have some other suggestions.

Why fill the tank up? All that gas will go bad before spring?

Spray some fogging oil into the carb with bike on. Stops rust from forming inside.

when you winterize a boat they tell you to fill the tanks all the way up. its opposit of what you think

Why fill the tank up? All that gas will go bad before spring?

Spray some fogging oil into the carb with bike on. Stops rust from forming inside.

No. Thats old school thinking. Boats made after 1940 are reccomended to be stored empty.

When things heat up, they expand. A full tank now is more than a full tank on a 70* day. Fire hazard. Plus, I wouldnt want a full tank of gas going bad. You could always siphon it out?

Getting the tires up off of the frozen concrete is a good idea. If you cant get stands, at least put a few layers of cardboard or carpet under the tires, and move the bike every so often.

Lubing the chain is a good idea.

Stuff the exhaust or intake/ any holes with rags... mice go anywhere.

Battery tender or trickle charger is a must. If you cannot afford a trickle charger, pull the battery, bring it inside and put the charger on it once a month. If you are keeping it in the basement with a concrete floor, its good practice to put cardboard under it to provide a barrier from the cold.

Everyone has their own ideas for the fuel. The idea is that if you top off the tank, there is no room for moisture. Stabil or drygas will keep the gas in the carbs and tank fresh. Some people will tell you the stuff is trash, but I have never had any problems. Be sure you run the motor long enough to get the additive into all of the lines.

For extended storage, it is recommended that you put a bit of oil (or fogging oil) in the cylinders, then turn the crank a couple rotations to coat the cylinder walls. Again, the idea here is to fight corrosion from moisture. Really this shouldnt be a problem for our short winters.

I keep the tank semi-full, add a stabilizer, and start the bike every few weeks or month, allowing it to reach operating temperature, and then run for a several minutes. A quick ride if possible, or run it on a stand. Doing this eliminates the need for oil in the cylinders, and the stabilizer should take care of moisture in the fuel. I do also use a higher octane, only hoping that there is less moisture to begin with in the fuel.

I usually store my bike from the first salt to the time when the rain has washed all of it off of the road. If you do ride in salt, it is definitely a good idea to wash the bike afterwards.

I usually change the oil at the beginning of every season too.

No. Thats old school thinking. Boats made after 1940 are reccomended to be stored empty.

When things heat up, they expand. A full tank now is more than a full tank on a 70* day. Fire hazard. Plus, I wouldnt want a full tank of gas going bad. You could always siphon it out?

That isn't correct!

You need to put a stabilizer in it and top the tank off to keep it from rusting.

All the info you need---> http://www.i4at.org/surv/sta-bil.htm

Well, Mine is going up on stands, stabil and a full tank, lubed chain, and a final washing. Then come end of November, it goes into a trailer, out to Colorado, and in my Uncles garage to sit next to his new Ducatti 999s till late May posibly June, when I get done with the snowboard season :) Then it heads via pickup truck to the closest dynotune bike shop to get retuned for rhe Altitude :)

That isn't correct!

You need to put a stabilizer in it and top the tank off to keep it from rusting.

All the info you need---> http://www.i4at.org/surv/sta-bil.htm

Their made of aluminum right?

And JMR, STA-BIL does stop gas from guming up. DOES NOT stop it from losing octane.

Well, Mine is going up on stands, stabil and a full tank, lubed chain, and a final washing. Then come end of November, it goes into a trailer, out to Colorado, and in my Uncles garage to sit next to his new Ducatti 999s till late May posibly June, when I get done with the snowboard season :) Then it heads via pickup truck to the closest dynotune bike shop to get retuned for rhe Altitude :)

Where does your uncle live? In denver, its riding season year round. The snow melts in a day or 2 and its 60 degrees.

Their made of aluminum right?

And JMR, STA-BIL does stop gas from guming up. DOES NOT stop it from losing octane.

The fuel still breaks down but not as much. The main thing the stabalizer does is keep it from breaking down more causing rust and other things inside the tank that will crap up your fuel system after a long storage period.

No doubt that it hurts the octane of the fuel. Why do you think your gas MPG and power is down when using any of those additives like HEET, injector cleaner, etc....?