Mad River....info?.....Ski info needed.

Putty

Thinking of going this weekend...Not sure if I should go to Mad River or Snowtrails. Which one is in Bellefountaine....Mansfield? Also, i'm no pro, so I dont care which is best for Xtreme shit. Is one any cheaper than the other? Midnight idea is cool, but I might do during the day.

Guest MissTypeS
I'm partial to Snow Trails (Mansfield, exit 169 off I-71), but I haven't been to Mad River since I was in 8th grade. I *believe* Snow Trails has a higher altitude and more/longer runs. I also like their lodge a lot better. Just my .02

SNOW TRAILS!!

Tickets Only

Adult/Child** With Rental

Adult/Child**

Weekdays (Non-Holidays)

Weekdays 10AM - 10PM $27/$16 $54/$36

NightTime 6PM - 10PM $25/$14 $52/$34

Weekends/Holidays

PrimeTime 9AM - 10PM $39/$27 $66/$47

Earlybird 9AM - 2PM $33/$17 $60/$37

Sundown 4PM- 10PM $33/$17 $60/$37

NightTime 6PM - 10PM $25/$14 $52/$34

Late Night Skiing*

We make it count

Jan. 7, Jan. 28 and Feb. 11, 2006

10:30PM - 2:00AM

$30/$15 $57/$35

*Sold after 8PM Upgrade $10

**Child: 12 and under.

http://www.skimadriver.com

Map http://www.skimadriver.com/trailmap.asp

http://www.snowtrails.com

Map http://www.snowtrails.com/images/stories/Stories/snowtrails_map%202005-06.jpg

I prefer Mad River because of the layout, it is much easier to get around. I've never had to hike across the bottom of Mad River to get anywhere; I've definitely had to do that at Snow Trails. I don't mind hiking that much if I'm up on a mountain, but that's ridiculous to have to do at a 300' tall molehill in Ohio. Take a look at the trail maps on both sites and you'll see what I mean.

Snow trails has a dedicated noob area that's probably better for people out on their first day (Possum/Bunny). It's much larger and a little steeper than the true bunny hill at Mad River. Mad river has a really small bunny hill, but it's useless to really learn on (Fanny Hill Beginner Area). The Fanny Hill Beginner Area also uses a towrope; I'm a 'beginner' snowboarder and fucking hate those things. I can ski up those things backwards, but I've been skiing for 10 years, I can't make it up them on a snowboard. Mad River also has easy runs that I would suggest people to start on instead of the beginner hill (Summit Trail, Family Comfort Zone, Sundowner, Valley View area), but the traffic is probably higher and harder to get around than on Snow Trails bunny hill. Anyways, if you have skied/snowboarded one day and need to go on any 'bunny hill' in Ohio, you should probably give up.

Synopsis, if it is your first day and you will only stay on the bunny hill, Snow Trails might be better. If you've gone a few times, and can make your way around a decent amount of the hills, Mad River might be better. I say might because there's not that much of a difference between the two places as far as their terrain and how big/steep they are. I just think the overall layout of Snow Trials is horrible.

Mad River also got 3 inches of natural snow, and made 4 inches last night. When I went to Mad River last weekend, some grass was starting to show in spots. I’m sure this new snow will take care of that.

Guest fixerupper
Definitely Snowtrails. It has a great lodge, the slopes are good for a little midwestern hill, and if you do get to it the terrain park is in the top 4 in the nation. I can personally say that it's great, even for beginners.

Um, isn't it gonna be like 55 on friday, and like 53 tomorrow? I mean the snow does look cool today, but I bet its gone tomorrow! I vote for Mad river if any, ohio skiing sucks donkey nutz.

You obviously know a lot about skiing/snowboarding if you think two fifty degree days are going to wipe out a ski ‘resorts’ base. Part of that 7 inches was ice when it fell, and the natural snow quickly turned to ice. That stuff stays around a lot longer than the inch of snow Columbus probably got. My point of that was the few spots that were starting to show some grass will be nice and covered now. Every single run at Mad River has been open this last few weeks despite the 40 degree days and almost constant rain. Actually I think the first or second warm day after it’s been cold is some of the best times to hit the hill. It’s warm enough to wear only a t-shirt, but the snow is usually still ok. You will just get wet if you fall very often.

It is supposed to rain on Friday night, Saturday day though. Skiing in the rain sucks.

No 300ft hill is going to have a top anything for ski resorts, including the park. Maybe 4th best in the east. No place without a Super Pipe is going to be considered a top park in this country, or ever host any big event.

No 300ft hill is going to have a top anything for ski resorts, including the park. Maybe 4th best in the east. No place without a Super Pipe is going to be considered a top park in this country, or ever host any big event.

i wish mad river would get rid of the run to the right of sun downer (if your looking at the hill) and put in a super pipe....oh man..

Guest fixerupper

I meant to say midwest, not nation.

i wish mad river would get rid of the run to the right of sun downer (if your looking at the hill) and put in a super pipe....oh man..

As much as I would love that... frankly they don't have enough room for something that big, or get enough snow on a regular basis to maintain even a regular (14ish feet) pipe, let alone a Super Pipe. It also wouldn't make economical sense for them to spend the kind of money it cost to buy one of those machines that shapes/grooms a pipe. I'm sure those are a very high dollar item, even for a ski resort.

We went to Snow Trails for a year or two in high school. They used to have a (very small) pipe, it was never open, and when it was, it wasn't really a pipe. Same thing would happen at MRM.

If you are talking about the run to the right of the Sun Downer lift (Regulator), that used to be the terrain park, back before they had any rails. Then the moved the park over and figured out it wasn’t steep enough for any real jumps so they took them out and only have rails. I enjoy hitting the rails, but that place needs some (big) jumps. They should turn that run back into a terrain park with only jumps.