1st bike questions

Chief8one

I'm intrested in getting a bike soon, but need some opinions on what would be a great starter bike. i was thinking of getting a CBR 600 used of course, but would like the opinions of others thanks.

bottom line what is the best bike for around $2500?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I got my first bike I went w/ everybody elses opinions and got a 600 level bike. Im glad I didn't get anything smaller and you will be glad too. Almost everybody I know who got something smaller like a katana or a ninja 500/250 traded it in soon after. So save the money you have and put it towards a 600 size or bigger if you feel confident. ;)

it depends on what you like, the 650 will make you a better rider than the 600 will. The v-twin torque is perfect for running around town and still has plenty of get up and go. a 600 can get you into trouble real quickly. I'd say go with whatever your current experience level is. The SV is an absolute blast and will handle better than most 600's out there as well. If you want to cruise and hit up the twists sv all the way, if you wanna drag race or go 140mph then get the 600.

i have no bike experience at all, reason why im looking for opinions. Also what is considered high mileage on a bike? I have no idea what to even look at when buying a bike. Cars, no problem, but bikes are a whole new world to me. Just don't want to get the shaft on a deal. I'm sure you all understand.

p.s. thanks for all the response

chief

Mileage on a bike is an odd topic because some people buy bikes and hardly ever ride. While other people buy bikes and put more miles on them than there car in one year. So you have several different catergories of riders. There are always inbetween guys but this will give you an idea of what is around....

a) The poser crowd that has maybe 500-miles a year on a bike (if that)

b) The weekend/nice weather rider that puts maybe 2k-6k on a bike in a year

c) The enthusiest that will put around 6k-12k on a bike in a year

d) Then there is the hard core touring guys that put 20k+ on a bike in a year

Generally the a) croud is Harley owners or the guy that scares the shit out of himself and wants to sell it. Those are the bikes you can find for a heck of a deal.

As long as the maintenance is kept up the mileage isn't that big of a deal. Just try and find one that hasn't been laid down. Lots of bikes with less than 500-miles that have been wrecked hard and repaired. BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO GET ONE OF THOSE. Just look at the tires, sprockets, chain, oil, brakes, etc....same stuff as on a car. You will be able to tell instantly who takes care of and maintains there bike and who doesn't. Better to pay a little more for a well kept bike than a ragged out piece....

How will a 650 make you a better rider than a 600?

Also, how in the heck is a 600 going to get you in more trouble than a 650?

from a racing standpoint the 650 will teach you to keep higher cornerspeed as well as not be quite as violent with the throttle. The torque of the v-twin is a much nicer powerband.

The 600 has over 40 horses on the 650 as well as having the 4-cylinder powerband. that much power with that kind of powerband is quite a tough way to learn how to ride a bike.

BTW, the 650's hand many 600's their ass at the track, even a few literbikes get crushed by the 650's with good riders. With my bike i can brake harder,later and carry more cornerspeed. Basically, you may pass me down that straight, but i'm flying under you on the brakes and leaving you behind in the technical stuff. So if you learn on a 650 to carry speed,brake late, and all around how to handle it, then when you step up to the "big" bikes you have all those skills combined with better suspension and power. it makes you a better rider.

You are talking about a race environment. In the real world, ON THE STREET it would be pretty much the opposite.

Even though the 600 would take a little more focus in stop and go traffic. Having LESS torque, it would probably be better in corners (on the street) because you don't have instant throttle. With more of a delay in the same gear, the 600 would be more civilized. You don't cruise around at 13,000 RPM on the street unless you want to get pulled over.

That is why I don't like the 600's and would recommned at least a 1000cc bike or more. You have to rev the crap out of a 600 to go anywhere. That is what makes the BUSA or any liter bike such a good all around bike. You don't have to keep shifting ever five seconds.

It's got just as much go at 60mph in 6th as a 600cc bike in 3rd. So really the 650 would probably be tougher for a new rider on the street learning THROTTLE CONTROL.

P.S.....Carrying speed, braking late and all around handling is only as good as the rider. It won't matter what cc bike you are on. Rossi on a V-ROD would probably still own someone on a GSXR-1k at Mid Ohio or any other road course venue.

i have no bike experience at all, reason why im looking for opinions.

IMO, go take the MSF class first ... and then go bike shopping. It stands to open your eyes

At first I loved (and still do) the looks of the R6, GSX, 794, 636, CBR, etc... However, a tiny bit of expereince told me I needed something that help me build riding skills, not make the learning curve harder and more dangerous.

You are talking about a race environment. In the real world, ON THE STREET it would be pretty much the opposite.

Even though the 600 would take a little more focus in stop and go traffic. Having LESS torque, it would probably be better in corners (on the street) because you don't have instant throttle. With more of a delay in the same gear, the 600 would be more civilized. You don't cruise around at 13,000 RPM on the street unless you want to get pulled over.

That is why I don't like the 600's and would recommned at least a 1000cc bike or more. You have to rev the crap out of a 600 to go anywhere. That is what makes the BUSA or any liter bike such a good all around bike. You don't have to keep shifting ever five seconds.

It's got just as much go at 60mph in 6th as a 600cc bike in 3rd. So really the 650 would probably be tougher for a new rider on the street learning THROTTLE CONTROL.

P.S.....Carrying speed, braking late and all around handling is only as good as the rider. It won't matter what cc bike you are on. Rossi on a V-ROD would probably still own someone on a GSXR-1k at Mid Ohio or any other road course venue.

you really dont know what you are talking about. you say that more torque is bad, but the 1000cc is much torquier than the 600cc. the power of a v-twin ISNT instant, it's a smooth powerband. pulls in any gear. here's the easiest way to look at it. compare it as the 650 is a 4-stroke dirt bike, as to a 600 would be a two stroke. 600 has small powerband that hits hard, takes a lot of revving to stay in the power as well. Where as the v-twin is just a roll on power, very controllable and steady.

and i have to laugh, HARD, at that Rossi statement. on a v-rod......a bike that couldnt corner half as well as a race replica and has no where near the power. i dont care who is on that bike it is worthless in turning, unless you put a total squid on the race replica(evidently yourself from these statements) he wouldn't have a chance.

The whole point of starting on a smaller bike that teaches you to carry speed, brake, etc. is to make you that better rider. smaller, lighter bikes carry more speed and brake later, the rider has to learn to take advantage of this and learns how fast a corner can really be taken. with a 600 you would need to worry about highsiding do to the twitchier throttle w/ tons more power.

why do you think in europe many people ride naked v-twins? because they are perfect for urban traffic, tight spaces, and twisty roads. Race replicas are built for one thing, the track. What happens when you take a track bike and ride it on the street, it's not gonna be nearly as comfortable as a "standard". Think Ducati Monster when you think SV. And if you want the power of a 600 but the smooth v-twin powerband, grab the SV1000.

IMO, go take the MSF class first ... and then go bike shopping. It stands to open your eyes

At first I loved (and still do) the looks of the R6, GSX, 794, 636, CBR, etc... However, a tiny bit of expereince told me I needed something that help me build riding skills, not make the learning curve harder and more dangerous.

that's mainly what i was trying to say. those other bikes only magnify a mistake where SV's and the like are very forgiving.

Guest 1_slow_600
How will a 650 make you a better rider than a 600?

Also, how in the heck is a 600 going to get you in more trouble than a 650?

Because an S-V 650 makes no fucking power and should only be sold to little girls. NO offense to anyone who owns one just my .02 cents

you really dont know what you are talking about. you say that more torque is bad, but the 1000cc is much torquier than the 600cc. the power of a v-twin ISNT instant, it's a smooth powerband. pulls in any gear. here's the easiest way to look at it. compare it as the 650 is a 4-stroke dirt bike, as to a 600 would be a two stroke. 600 has small powerband that hits hard, takes a lot of revving to stay in the power as well. Where as the v-twin is just a roll on power, very controllable and steady.

and i have to laugh, HARD, at that Rossi statement. on a v-rod......a bike that couldnt corner half as well as a race replica and has no where near the power. i dont care who is on that bike it is worthless in turning, unless you put a total squid on the race replica(evidently yourself from these statements) he wouldn't have a chance.

The whole point of starting on a smaller bike that teaches you to carry speed, brake, etc. is to make you that better rider. smaller, lighter bikes carry more speed and brake later, the rider has to learn to take advantage of this and learns how fast a corner can really be taken. with a 600 you would need to worry about highsiding do to the twitchier throttle w/ tons more power.

You missed the point of my post completely..... :(

If your in the power sooner, the bike will be much tougher to ride for a newbie....PERIOD. If you have to rev it, it will take longer to get into trouble. Hence.....it is ALL ABOUT THROTTLE CONTROL!

So a newbie that is using the throttle lightly will think a 600 is slower initially UNTIL they rev it out. (We hope when they have the experience to.) A 650 on the other hand will feel quicker from the second the throttle is OPENED until the middle of the RPM range where MOST of the people on the STREET normally operate.

Since you pulled out the dirt bike talk, I'll put it in your language. Two newbies take off side by side, one on a 2-stroke and one on a 4-stroke. They have just let out the clutch and are putting along at 5mph. They decide to whach the throttle open. Who is going to jump out first? With that in mind, the bike with more torque will be trouble from the get go where the 2-stroke will be a bottle rocket "eventually." Even though the 2-stroke has a more explosive power band (higher in the rev range) a newbie learning to ride theoretically shouldn't be in it. That comes back to the THROTTLE CONTROL topic again because a newbie isn't going to be riding ride wide open every where he goes (to stay in the power band).....

Maybe I didn't explain it enough because the 1000cc+ comment was MY preference for riders with half a clue. IMO....that is a more usable bike. You have instant POWER unlike these 600'c that you have to rev to 10,000 RPM BEFORE IT DOES ANYTHING!

The Rossi comment was a joke that you bite. Relax Mr. Road race wannabe (evidentally squid from your bike knowledge)..... j/k :)

why do you think in europe many people ride naked v-twins? because they are perfect for urban traffic, tight spaces, and twisty roads. Race replicas are built for one thing, the track. What happens when you take a track bike and ride it on the street, it's not gonna be nearly as comfortable as a "standard". Think Ducati Monster when you think SV. And if you want the power of a 600 but the smooth v-twin powerband, grab the SV1000.

Your comment about europe is hilarious. What do you think started the naked V-twin craze. It was guys putting the big power 4-cylinder engines in the tube frames back in the late 70/early 80's.

Your comfort statement is an opinion because lots of people PREFER a sportbike over a more sit-up bike. If you have been overseas, you would know that your arms get tired on the A-roads from all the back and forth, back and forth action. A sportbike (in my opinion) is much easier and FASTER to ride in those situations. Your body/arms work less going over the mountain than when on a Monster/SV style bike. Stop and go traffic is another thing all together and what I assume you are trying to refer to....

Because an S-V 650 makes no fucking power and should only be sold to little girls. NO offense to anyone who owns one just my .02 cents

come to the track, i'll show you the fast way around on a "little girl's bike". I'm sick of people like this who think that power is all that matters. Let me put this out there for ya. Go out and ride an SV. Just find one and take it for a quick jaunt, preferably in the twisties.

and Busa, you'll just have to trust me that the SV is a better beginners bike. You dont need throttle control because even when you whack it wide open it just pulls, no wheelies, no spinning, just a nice steady pull. The whole point of having the broad power band and torque is so that you dont need to give any throttle to get anywhere. just roll it on and away you go. Whereas the 4-cyl needs to be revved, have the clutch slipped and then when you crack it open to pass someone suddenly the front end stands up and then you're in a pickle. Basically, the SV, Ninja 650r, etc. have the low HP, easily to ride powerband/torque, and are amazing bikes for an expert to setup and ride in the twists/track. Think of it as starting on the 125's and 250's before moving up to the MotoGP premier class. If you jump right into the big bike you may at some point become a good/fast rider, but those who learn on the smaller bikes will have a huge advantage over you. And since this person has NO motorcycle experience, i'm 100% sure that a starter bike(SV,Ninja650,GS,etc.) would be most advantageous to him over a 4-cyl bike. I know plenty of people who have ridden these bikes, moved to the 600,750, and 1000cc bikes only to return to the SV's because they are more fun to ride. to each his/her own.

Muthapucka,

You are talking about a TRACK environment where the corner speeds are higher. On the STREET is a completely different animal....

So by your logic a 5.0 mustang with 205 (rated) HP will be better for a 16-year old getting his license than a 06 Civic with 200 (peak) HP.....? That's pretty much what you are saying power wise.

As for your other logic, YOU NEED MORE SEAT TIME ON THE STREET. Everything you have talked about is track related. You are correct in that "The whole point of having the broad power band and torque is so that you dont need to give any throttle to get anywhere." but....that is EXACT REASON it will be a tougher bike to ride for a beginner. He is in the power SOONER and going FASTER for the same throttle input as if he were on a 600. Back at THROTTLE CONTROL again...hmm.....funny how that works.

Maybe you should check out the graphs again since you are hard up on the track and numbers...

02/03-SV650S

http://sportrider.com/bikes/146-0308-sv650-dyno-zoom.jpg

03-GSXR600

http://sportrider.com/features/146-0406-r600dyno-4-z.gif

For the record a 600 has the SV650 covered from 4,500RPM's on up. So maybe the statement about the SV650 making NO POWER could be accurate.... j/k :)

that's what i'm saying though, 4500 on up it has way more power. idk about you, but i like to stay above 4500 when i'm shootin around town. until you ride an SV you dont know what the feeling is like. it's VERY easy to ride. why do you think SOO many people suggest to start on an SV,GS,EX?? if the bigger faster bikes were better, then that would be the concensus.

Muthapucka, I have ridden one and they are nothing to write home about. SV650/1000, TL-S/R and all the 600's are BORING to me but hey I've ridden A LOT of bikes.

Chief8one,

If you have half a clue and just a little bit of THROTTLE CONTROL, I wouldn't recommend any of them. I would say go right for the LITER BIKES if they are comfortable for you. As long as you respect the bike and ride it civilized until you figures things out, no need to waste money on anything LESS.

If you're like EVERYONE else I know with a 600, you will wish you would have got something bigger 2-months after riding.... :)

Guest 1_slow_600
i could care less about a bike with power. But im pretty sure i had a moped once that would hang with an s-v 650. I have heard that they are gangster in the turns though. if your in to that kinda thing. Which this being the persons first bike i doubt if he'll be hitting any turns hard soon.