1st bike questions

Chief8one

Muthapucka, I have ridden one and they are nothing to write home about. SV650/1000, TL-S/R and all the 600's are BORING to me but hey I've ridden A LOT of bikes.

Chief8one,

If you have half a clue and just a little bit of THROTTLE CONTROL, I wouldn't recommend any of them. I would say go right for the LITER BIKES if they are comfortable for you. As long as you respect the bike and ride it civilized until you figures things out, no need to waste money on anything LESS.

If you're like EVERYONE else I know with a 600, you will wish you would have got something bigger 2-months after riding.... :)

We aren't talking about someone with a little bit of throttle control and half a clue - we're talking about NEWBIE riders - they don't know what THROTTLE CONTROL is and as far as clues...it has to be unstated.

Please don't claim that race replicas are comfortable - they are NOT - anyone who claims so is a fool or is lying to themselves. How many guys do you see putting all of their weight on their wrists because they can't use their backs to hold themselves up? The clip-ons are not there for your weight - they are there to control the bike.

A peaky 600SS is NOT the ideal place to start for someone who has never ridden a bike. Drew's point about the SV650 is dead on, but even then a Kwack 250/500 or the GS500 are still better bikes for the beginner.

A liter bike is just fine for the squid that wants to tool around on the streets going fast from light to light or flying down the freeway, but when you use the bike for what is was MEANT...

1_slow_600 - STFU. YOU most certainly don't know what you are talking about. Drew would hand you your ass on the street OR on the track in anything other than just an all out top speed run. You sound like the typical squid buying a race replica to look cool, squid around to the hangouts and 'pick up chicks'.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last time I checked Chief8one is what....23-years old. That means he should have half a clue. We aren't talking about a 15/16-year old punk kid that is out trying to prove himself on what he thinks is a FAST bike.

I don't know what your build is but plenty of sportbikes are comfortable. I loved my CBR900RR, R1 and both my BUSA's. But that is all opinion and owner preference so it is pointless to even argue.... :rolleyes:

You guys are hilarious. I don't think there is a single person on here that uses there bike 100% for it's designed purpose. Last I checked I didn't see any of you out braking Mladin at Mid Ohio last year..... :nono:

:popcorn:

Last time I checked Chief8one is what....23-years old. That means he should have half a clue. We aren't talking about a 15/16-year old punk kid that is out trying to prove himself on what he thinks is a FAST bike.

I don't know what your build is but plenty of sportbikes are comfortable. I loved my CBR900RR, R1 and both my BUSA's. But that is all opinion and owner preference so it is pointless to even argue.... :rolleyes:

You guys are hilarious. I don't think there is a single person on here that uses there bike 100% for it's designed purpose. Last I checked I didn't see any of you out braking Mladin at Mid Ohio last year..... :nono:

:popcorn:

You can be 100 years old - if you have NEVER ridden a motorcycle, you don't have a clue.

I'm 5'9 and 175. R1s, 900RRs. I'd like to know what drugs you were on when you rode those bikes because they are not comfortable for decent length trips. Try taking a trip and riding one for a couple hours straight instead of squidding it around the city on an R1. The Hayabusas, from my understanding are comfortable, but they are sport-tourers, not race replicas. You are talking about race-replica motorcycles. My ZX-9 is more comfortable than my old F2 was, but I still wouldn't want to be forced to ride for 3 or 4 hours on it without a break, at least as it came from the factory.

You want proof that a 600SS and bigger displacement sportbikes and even cruisers do not make a good beginner's bike? Look at the crash statistics. Look at the insurance. There is all the proof you need. Your 'advice' about starter bikes is not only wrong, it's simply dangerous for someone who has never ridden before.

You can buy a used ninja 250 or 500 and turn around and sell it in a year or two for not much less than you paid. In the mean time you don't have to worry about dropping your shiny new bike (you will) and you aren't taking the insurance hit on a bike you will most likely (and should be) scared of.

Good reading for newbies: http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=274759

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=262785

nice posts larry. those links really drive home what i was trying to say. Also, this guy has a 2500 dollar budget,right? Last i checked that was a beginner bike price range, definately not for the 1000SS bikes.....

nice posts larry. those links really drive home what i was trying to say. Also, this guy has a 2500 dollar budget,right? Last i checked that was a beginner bike price range, definately not for the 1000SS bikes.....

I guess we kind of lost site of that. $2500 does limit what you can buy.

Chief80one, I guess the question is what do you really want to do? Be honest with yourself. Is it to go fast in a straight-line, make a bunch of friends and hang out with them, look cool, pick up girls, commute, or hit the twisties?

That will help you decide what bike to get. Nevertheless, something inexpensive with a smooth power delivery that won't kick you in the teeth too hard when you grab a handful of throttle or brake is what I would recommend.

Unless there is a screaming hot deal (one of those too good to pass up deals), take the MSF first - that will give you and idea of what to expect.

Guest 1_slow_600
We aren't talking about someone with a little bit of throttle control and half a clue - we're talking about NEWBIE riders - they don't know what THROTTLE CONTROL is and as far as clues...it has to be unstated.

Please don't claim that race replicas are comfortable - they are NOT - anyone who claims so is a fool or is lying to themselves. How many guys do you see putting all of their weight on their wrists because they can't use their backs to hold themselves up? The clip-ons are not there for your weight - they are there to control the bike.

A peaky 600SS is NOT the ideal place to start for someone who has never ridden a bike. Drew's point about the SV650 is dead on, but even then a Kwack 250/500 or the GS500 are still better bikes for the beginner.

A liter bike is just fine for the squid that wants to tool around on the streets going fast from light to light or flying down the freeway, but when you use the bike for what is was MEANT...

1_slow_600 - STFU. YOU most certainly don't know what you are talking about. Drew would hand you your ass on the street OR on the track in anything other than just an all out top speed run. You sound like the typical squid buying a race replica to look cool, squid around to the hangouts and 'pick up chicks'.

FIrst off motherfucker i dont have any race replica bike so i have no idiea what the fuck thats about. It looks like you buddy bought the race bike. .Another thing, I could give a fuck about takin some dumb ass turn fast. I know i can turn just fine. Do i lay my knee on the ground? Definatly not And its because i could give a fuck.All you road racer guys are all the same think your gods gift to the motorcycle world. Because you can turn good.ooowwww.But you can tell whoever the fuck drew is that he can come get fucked In everything but some stupid ass turns.

FIrst off motherfucker i dont have any race replica bike so i have no idiea what the fuck thats about. It looks like you buddy bought the race bike. .Another thing, I could give a fuck about takin some dumb ass turn fast. I know i can turn just fine. Do i lay my knee on the ground? Definatly not And its because i could give a fuck.All you road racer guys are all the same think your gods gift to the motorcycle world. Because you can turn good.ooowwww.But you can tell whoever the fuck drew is that he can come get fucked In everything but some stupid ass turns.

then please, enlighten us as to what you DO ride. your s/n makes it sound like you ride a 600. And, believe me, put me on whatever bike you got and I'll show you how it's done. The only thing other than turns are straights.......and i sure as hell know how to do those fast, especially from a stand. And please, if you dont want to ride on the pavement, i'll especially whoop you in the dirt. BTW, my name is Drew Brenner.......you might wanna write that down for the future, cuz i'm sure you'll hear it again.

You can be 100 years old - if you have NEVER ridden a motorcycle, you don't have a clue.

I'm 5'9 and 175. R1s, 900RRs. I'd like to know what drugs you were on when you rode those bikes because they are not comfortable for decent length trips. Try taking a trip and riding one for a couple hours straight instead of squidding it around the city on an R1. The Hayabusas, from my understanding are comfortable, but they are sport-tourers, not race replicas. You are talking about race-replica motorcycles. My ZX-9 is more comfortable than my old F2 was, but I still wouldn't want to be forced to ride for 3 or 4 hours on it without a break, at least as it came from the factory.

You want proof that a 600SS and bigger displacement sportbikes and even cruisers do not make a good beginner's bike? Look at the crash statistics. Look at the insurance. There is all the proof you need. Your 'advice' about starter bikes is not only wrong, it's simply dangerous for someone who has never ridden before.

You can buy a used ninja 250 or 500 and turn around and sell it in a year or two for not much less than you paid. In the mean time you don't have to worry about dropping your shiny new bike (you will) and you aren't taking the insurance hit on a bike you will most likely (and should be) scared of.

Good reading for newbies: http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=274759

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=262785

Lemosley01,

Though I don't agree with giving a newbie a brand new high powered bike, many people have started out on big bikes without a problem. I for one went from a YSR50 to a CBR900RR and had ZERO problems when I was 17. Anyone with half a clue can start on a bigger bike WITHOUT a problem. Do I recommend it in ALL occasions NO but I will if someone knows the basics and takes his/her time. ;)

Second, everything we are arguing is an OPINION and nothing more. Since you clearly have NO experiense on long rides, I'll give you some FACTS. I rode my R1 from Columbus, MS to San Antonio, TX in a tad over 11-hours straight. Only stopping to piss, fill up and grab a bite to eat. So once again your what's comfortable and what's not theory is only a OPINION! I guess riding from Biloxi, MS to Houston, TX and BACK every other weekend for 6-hours isn't long enough to think about on my CBR900RR.... :wtf:

then please, enlighten us as to what you DO ride. your s/n makes it sound like you ride a 600. And, believe me, put me on whatever bike you got and I'll show you how it's done. The only thing other than turns are straights.......and i sure as hell know how to do those fast, especially from a stand. And please, if you dont want to ride on the pavement, i'll especially whoop you in the dirt. BTW, my name is Drew Brenner.......you might wanna write that down for the future, cuz i'm sure you'll hear it again.

If I remember right he has a GSXR-1k in sheeps clothing....

Muthapucka you clearly have NO clue. Just because you have been to one maybe two track days doesn't make you an expert on a motorcycle. Your statment about "put me on whatever bike you got and I'll show you how it's done" comment just shows your ignorance.... :slap:

But hey maybe when I get back from the desert, I can attend one of your track days and show you how slow and heavy a BUSA is on a roadcourse. :thumbup:

no, it's the fact that i've been on two wheels since i was in kindergarten. Not to mention that within the first few months of ever riding a streetbike I was already dragging knees and wearing my tires onto the sidewalls......And if he has that bike, then he DOES have a race replica! Which would make him the ignorant one.

Lemosley01,

Though I don't agree with giving a newbie a brand new high powered bike, many people have started out on big bikes without a problem. I for one went from a YSR50 to a CBR900RR and had ZERO problems when I was 17. Anyone with half a clue can start on a bigger bike WITHOUT a problem. Do I recommend it in ALL occasions NO but I will if someone knows the basics and takes his/her time. ;)

Got-busa - I understand where you are coming from, but your advice read more like 'get a late model 600SS - anything else you'll be bored with', and everytime I have seen a 'I'm new to bikes and want one thread' you say the same thing - get a 600 or bigger.

Lots of people have started on big bikes, even litres, but it is a simple fact that if you want to do more go fast in a straight line, not necessarily road race but hit the twisties, you will become a more competent rider faster on a smaller bike.

Second, everything we are arguing is an OPINION and nothing more. Since you clearly have NO experiense on long rides, I'll give you some FACTS. I rode my R1 from Columbus, MS to San Antonio, TX in a tad over 11-hours straight. Only stopping to piss, fill up and grab a bite to eat. So once again your what's comfortable and what's not theory is only a OPINION! I guess riding from Biloxi, MS to Houston, TX and BACK every other weekend for 6-hours isn't long enough to think about on my CBR900RR.... :wtf:

I have never been on a trip that long - either you are really tall or just don't have any feeling in your body. A race-replica is not a comfortable bike compared to a bike with a more upright seating position. That is not opinion, it is a fact of physics. It is a fact stated by EVERY rider of a sportbike that I have EVER known. Some might be more comfortable than others, but none of them are what could be considered very comfortable for long hauls.

Either that or I'm just a pussy. :D

Then stop making dumbass statements that 500s and SV650s are pussy bikes. Any idiot can twist the throttle and go fast (you're proof, assuming you have a bike). I'm not a road race guy, yet, but I do like to run the corners when I get chance and actually USE my bike for one of it's purposes, instead of drive from hangout to hangout.

I thought the R1 was a lot more comfortable than the CBR900RR. Come to think of it I think after 3-hours on all of them, my butt needs a stretch on the BUSA the most. :( I've never had back or wrist/arm problems. I just have to stand up and stretch the legs which is about the same for me on every bike and my 6' 2" frame.... :)

I have never been on a trip that long - either you are really tall or just don't have any feeling in your body. A race-replica is not a comfortable bike compared to a bike with a more upright seating position. That is not opinion, it is a fact of physics. It is a fact stated by EVERY rider of a sportbike that I have EVER known. Some might be more comfortable than others, but none of them are what could be considered very comfortable for long hauls.

Either that or I'm just a pussy. :D

My take on that is that leaning on the tank for the racer position (if you want to call it that) takes some of the pressure off of your wrists/arms. On a situp bike like a speed triple or V-max or something makes my arms tired and hurts my upper back/sholders after a while... :(

My take on that is that leaning on the tank for the racer position (if you want to call it that) takes some of the pressure off of your wrists/arms. On a situp bike like a speed triple or V-max or something makes my arms tired and hurts my upper back/sholders after a while... :(

I've ridden both, and while I can lay on the tank, it still becomes uncomfortable. In a more upright position, I've found may butt hurts after a while, but everything else is happy.

I would think on a bike that has big ape-hangers your shoulders would get pretty tired, though.

Guest 1_slow_600
I dont have any fucking race replica bike.What in the fuck are you talking about. I have an 01 gsxr 1000 with a supersport motor on it. i have an 03 gsxr 600 stunt bike. ANd what the fuck are you trying to say"my name's drew brenner dont forget it" Is that a threat? And you can come with me to where we stunt ride and well see your skills. Then we'll goto trails and we can both make a couple of passses on the 1000 and well see. I understand that you can ride good and take turns but your not god's gift to a bike. No one is, there will always be someone better

earth to the fucking dumbass, GSXR's are RACE FUCKING REPLICAS!! just because you strip it down to stunt doesnt make it anything other than it was sold as. sure it's now a stunt bike, but it is still a RR!! Believe me, i'm not god's gift to bikes, i'm not even an Expert in road racing. BUT, i am def. a better all around rider than prolly anyone here. Lipps is def. a fast rider with that crazy r1 of his. Sorry, i'm not a stunter on these bikes, 650's aren't really good for that(lack of power,oil starvation problems, etc.), plus i just dont see the point of doin wheelies,burnouts,stoppies,etc. I am a racer at heart, no matter what it is i'm doing, i will always have a racing mentality. you are a stunter, and for sure would kick my ass at that, but if you wanna stunt on a MX bike, i'd be down for that for sure. Shit, i was doin no footed can-cans and layin it flat on 80's back when i was 13.

-Busa, SV's are known as STANDARD/sportbikes, not the same as the sportbike/race replica category. My bike is a pure race bike, and i have a race license, so i guess that would make me an ACTUAL racer......

I dont have any fucking race replica bike.What in the fuck are you talking about. I have an 01 gsxr 1000 with a supersport motor on it. i have an 03 gsxr 600 stunt bike. ANd what the fuck are you trying to say"my name's drew brenner dont forget it" Is that a threat? And you can come with me to where we stunt ride and well see your skills. Then we'll goto trails and we can both make a couple of passses on the 1000 and well see. I understand that you can ride good and take turns but your not god's gift to a bike. No one is, there will always be someone better

Wow. 0wn3d by yourself.

I can respect stunters because it does take skill and nerves to do it - I've never been interested in tearing my bike up (or hurting myself in the way some of those guys do), but some of those guys can do some AMAZING things on a bike. I doubt you are one of them, but I would be happy to watch sometime so you can prove me wrong. Let me know where and when and I'll try to make it.

However, your bikes were designed for the track - not the strip and not for stunting.

BUT, i am def. a better all around rider than prolly anyone here. Lipps is def. a fast rider with that crazy r1 of his.

I think this is the funniest, if not dumbest thing I have ever read on this forum.....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's almost a tie with your 600's running 9's comment....

I think this is the funniest, if not dumbest thing I have ever read on this forum.....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's almost a tie with your 600's running 9's comment....

:grin2:

Muthapucka: If you can push a stock 600 to 9 second passes, and you are the best rider "here" (on CR or what?) then I should start riding with you, I guess I could learn a lot.

So you are in WERA.. North Central I am guessing. What are your times for Ledges, Mid-Ohio, and Grattan?

As for the original question:

Sure you can start on a 600 or even a liter bike if you have a brain. But remember accidents happen, and people make mistakes. The smaller bikes will be a lot more forgiving should you make a mistake.

The ideal path would be to get a kawi 250 and ride the shit out of it for a year or two. Then progressively move up. Your learning curve will be a lot faster than just hopping on a 1000. Whatever you get, ride like everyone else is trying to kill you and have fun. ;)

wow asked a simple question and everyone is at each others throats.

As of now i'm looking for a bike to simply enjoy the summer with. If thats being a poser, well then so be it. I'm not sure how much i'll like a bike so after i get one ill really know what my goals are with it. For now, simply to learn how to ride honestly, and have a good time.

wow asked a simple question and everyone is at each others throats.

As of now i'm looking for a bike to simply enjoy the summer with. If thats being a poser, well then so be it. I'm not sure how much i'll like a bike so after i get one ill really know what my goals are with it. For now, simply to learn how to ride honestly, and have a good time.

Chief8one - this is always a hot topic, and it's the middle of winter - we're all sort of itching to ride again. :D

Anyway, looking for a bike to enjoy the summer with is not posing - it is what most people who ride buy a bike for - enjoyment.

Since you aren't sure then an inexpensive bike would be ideal. I heard a stat that the average rider keeps his bike approximately 3 years, so chances are you'll upgrade in a few years if you really like it. Consider Josh (Got-Busa) has owned 4 bikes(?) since he was 17 and he is now 25.

Should I be looking for you on this? :p

http://home.columbus.rr.com/lmosle/forumpics/jokerfront1.jpg