GM drops the GTO

Conesmasher

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 78novaman

When I'm driving down the road the new mustang, corvette, charger stand out. The GTO I had to actally look for to see it. Not a good sales pitch if your customer base doesn't notice your product out and about.

Besides, why would I buy a cramped uncofortable car when I can go next door to the Dodge dealer and buy a 300C or Charger which is just as fast with all the goodies for $3000-$5000 less? Besides, I can get a 1-2 year old low miles corvette for the same $$$$ as a new GTO. Which would you rather have?

As far as not standing out, I love that about this car.

I also love that I have not seen another GTO since I have owned mine.

As far as being uncomfortable, I can agree if you are way over 6'. This is the MOST comfortable, MOST sporty interior car I have owned/driven. Including TA's and Vettes. It's like a fucking cockpit.

And for them going away... WOOHOO!!! My car just got more rare.

Seriously, unless you have driven one, you REALLY do not appreciate them. And that's okay.

Guest FooFooMaru

I drove an 04' m6. It was freakin' fun. I know exactly what you mean^ I'm 6'2 and I loved the interior. Sooooo comfortable. Shifting was awesome. So responsive and just fell in love with it. Inside it's gorgeous. Exterior is okay. 05 is better looking. Meh I guess tips and hood does a bit of difference.

I liked it but it was nothing SPECIAL to me anyway?

I've ridden in one quite a bit. Great car imho. Definitely worth what they were asking, and a down right bargin at two years old (at most) for 20 to 24k.

I've driven a 300C. They are by no stretch of the imagination different cars, catered to different people. I wouldn't want to do anything more with the 300C than cruise down the highway. While you can take a GTO to the drag strip, autocross, and road course. I know because the one I've ridden in has been to more than one autocross and road course. And it does those two quite well. That has to be one of the dumbest comparisons between two cars I've ever seen. Don't get me wrong, I really like the 300C, but it would only really be good (great really) as a DD. While I don’t think it takes any stretch of the imagination to assume that the 300C is a better ride down the highway than the GTO, that’s about the only place it betters it, and it barely does it there. The GTO is a nicer car inside, looks better (inside), and feels better. It’s faster in every respect.

Honestly have you even sat in any of these cars you are talking about?

Comparing a used car price to a new car price is dumb too. You have to look at 2000 or earlier Vette to get them for what an 04 GTO is going for right now. If you want to compare used car prices.

Yes, and the performance was quite nice compared to my T/A, but I'm the type of person who thinks looks is as important as performance. Oh, wait a second, I drive a 13sec. purple T/A, nevermind.

i test drove the 04 and the 05 gto ... i loved it! If i was going to get a car to commute in, it would be the GTO ... it has a nice interior, better than the mustang, and all around i liked it alot ... seriously a nice car ... i got the sti cause in cleveland a RWD in the snow sucks .... down here where there is no snow, i might have just gotten the GTO over the STI ...

But the aztec is still for sale ... sheesh, get a clue!

its was cool to bring the monaro over here ... too bad to see it go, wish i could have owned one ...

As far as not standing out, I love that about this car.

I also love that I have not seen another GTO since I have owned mine.

As far as being uncomfortable, I can agree if you are way over 6'. This is the MOST comfortable, MOST sporty interior car I have owned/driven. Including TA's and Vettes. It's like a fucking cockpit.

And for them going away... WOOHOO!!! My car just got more rare.

Seriously, unless you have driven one, you REALLY do not appreciate them. And that's okay.

When did you a get a GTO?

IMO, GM made a couple simple mistakes that killed this car:

- Biggest was that the 04's needed to have a lot of the 05/06 stuff. BIGGEST being the hood and dual exit exhaust, followed very closely by the LS2. The brake upgrade and the other small changes could have been left off the 04 and not made a difference.

- Different wheels, something more flashy. Even the 18" option is kind of bland.

People saw the 04's, didn't like them (though I still do), and never looked back. They never looked at the SIGNIFICANT changes the 05's came with (both in apperance and power, 2 of the biggest complaints w/ the 04). Had the 05's been the 04 model, I think things would have turned out differently.

Hmmm, what that article doesn't mention is that Holden is not making the GTO anymore anyways.

Holden was never making the GTO.. GM only bought the design off of Holden. Holden makes a similar LOOKING car in europe but it's not the GTO.

Holden was never making the GTO.. GM only bought the design off of Holden. Holden makes a similar LOOKING car in europe but it's not the GTO.

Holden makes the Monaro CV8. I thought Holden was owned by GM...like Opel? Also, Holden operates in Australia, not Europe...I'm pretty sure.

gto's are nice but I'd rather buy something else with that money, like a used Z06. I'm not comparing new/used cars, just comparing what I'd rather do with money in my pocket.

It sounds good in theory, but I have been searching for a Z06 every day for 3 months. They are NOT available for anywhere close to what I paid for my GTO.

I found 1 2001 Z06 in Ohio for under $29,000. It was in Johnstown, with 60k miles, and was completely dogged out. There are a few in Cbus now for 29-30.

My car was $9,000 less, and is almost spotless. After driving a few LS1 Z06's and a GTO (GASP), I would still pick the GTO. If I was 10 years younger, I might have a different opinion.

EDIT - Also, whoever drove the 04 6 speeds for the 1/4 tests from the major Car magazines, should NEVER be allowed to do a test drive again. These cars are faster than advertised. That's one more huge reason I like it.

I drove an 04 GTO, and it was a pig. It handled like a tugboat, and the shifter bounced after we went over a bump, like it had a shock absorber on it or something.

That said, it was at Denny Dotson:o

You are 18 now according to your sig. How old were you when they let YOU drive a GTO? And where did YOU drive it where you were able to test out it's handling? I haven't seen a GTO on their lot for a long time.