GM drops the GTO

Conesmasher

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had second thoughts about buying a GTO. I didn't really like the back end. Then George gave me a ride in his and I was in love (with the car of course). After a body kit and side exhaust, I think its the best car I've owned so far.

About GM dropping the GTO. I'm happy they aren't making anymore. I hate knowing they are coming out with a better year.

You make me laugh....

HAHAHAHA

Yes, GM owns Holden. The Monaro and the GTO are basically the same car.

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/jsp/corporateinfo/companyprofile/companyprofile.jsp

Parent Company

General Motors Corporation, Detroit, Michigan, USA.

I have actually seen all the GTO "versions" in person except for the holden and vauxhaul, altough opel = vauxhaul. Pontiac GTO, Chevy Lumina SS (yes its true), Opel Monaro, Holden Monaro, Vauxhall Monaro.

Oh, and the pickup truck version. Lumina UTE

http://www.chevrolet.co.za/content_data/LAAM/ZA/en/GBPZA/001/models/1F/index.html

Guest BLUE BY U
Sure! you can have my slow pile, and i'll sell the GTO for a half decent car.

whats that saying , um glass house, rocks something like that. you drive a fucking Corolla and love it, but talk shit about a GTO.

If they're resurrecting the Camaro, the GTO would cannibalize sales. With Holden going to a new platform, the Monaro is getting phased out anyway.

It was a good business decision by GM. I'm sure it had NOTHING to do with "Killing" the GTO name.

Trust me...give it 2 years and you'll be able to buy a new, big-V8, RWD coupe from GM again.

Best point in this thread so far.

whats that saying , um glass house, rocks something like that. you drive a fucking Corolla and love it, but talk shit about a GTO.

Nowhere in this entire thread have I made a negative comment about the GTO. Only thing i've been admittedly proven wrong about was the fact that GM owns Holden. Infact I like the body style of the GTO's but I would never buy one. MidwestPD's GTO is badass; they've got a whole bunch of suspension and etc done to it and I like their car personally.

Guest BLUE BY U
u have a car that you hate that just sits in your garage.... why the hell do u have it then??? must be that grovetucky posse syndrome

its a gteat car for my wife, so we keep it around for her. i dont even run around with the rest of the guys from gc

u have a car that you hate that just sits in your garage.... why the hell do u have it then??? must be that grovetucky posse syndrome

I have a Moostang too, and only keep it because I want a CAR that's cheap, RWD, V8 that I can drive to work and the store without putting that abuse on the Formula.

Though it's freaking PATHETIC that my Mustang was supposed to compete with my Formula (stock for stock of course). My Moostang is my version of driving a Honda Civic. I only bought it because of the price and I knew its history, otherwise there would be another F-body in my driveway.

Nowhere in this entire thread have I made a negative comment about the GTO.

but just a few posts up

Sure! you can have my slow pile, and i'll sell the GTO for a half decent car.

Now that I have owned you more than once in this thread, just STFU and GTFO

The biggest problem with the GTO is the fact that there was no model differentiation.

If you think about the Camaro/Mustang, they all have base model V6's, which allow those who want the look of a "sports" car, but not necessarily the speed or the price.

Bottom line is, if you removed all V6 Mustangs in the world......they sure as hell wouldn't sell that many, same went for Camaro's.

The GTO was targeted toward a select market segment, and not to mainstream America. Sure there was a chance to revitalize an old name, instead they attempted to utilize the popularity of a name, with out producing a popular model(ie v6).

Just a small thought to chew on.

Nowhere in this entire thread have I made a negative comment about the GTO. Only thing i've been admittedly proven wrong about was the fact that GM owns Holden. Infact I like the body style of the GTO's but I would never buy one. MidwestPD's GTO is badass; they've got a whole bunch of suspension and etc done to it and I like their car personally.

You've proven yourself an idiot. Over and over again. Don't try to salvage this thread. Just stay the fuck out of threads you don't belong in from now on. MMk?

I'm disappointed with GM. 2 years ago I posted that GM shortchanged the GTO buyers, that really started some flame wars. I still feel that way. GM could've given their "goat" customers soooo much more for their $$$$$$. Now they're discontinuing it / the creeps!!!! I agree with earlier post, I think it will come back again as HP is definately back "in". Those that already own one - Yeah you're value just went up up & away!!!! (86 Corolla???? I'll pass) -

Dude your right the GTOs suck ass, would you trade me for your Corolla!

I would :D I actually LIKE the GTO. My first experience with one was while driving my Neon through traffic back when I used to think it was fun to piss the cops off and shit, and I saw this new car, no badges and thought "What the fuck is this, the new Sunfire or something?"

Of course, I learned different real quick, and it could take corners at 100 that my Neon wanted to understeer into a guardrail through if I even went 60. In my opinion I'll always think of it as a damn good car, and I'd like to own a nice used one when I can afford it.

I'm disappointed with GM. 2 years ago I posted that GM shortchanged the GTO buyers, that really started some flame wars. I still feel that way. GM could've given their "goat" customers soooo much more for their $$$$$$. Now they're discontinuing it / the creeps!!!! I agree with earlier post, I think it will come back again as HP is definately back "in". Those that already own one - Yeah you're value just went up up & away!!!! (86 Corolla???? I'll pass) -

Just curious, what things could GM have included to make the car more worthwhile?

Holden was never making the GTO.. GM only bought the design off of Holden. Holden makes a similar LOOKING car in europe but it's not the GTO.

Who gave you your info? The GTO is made in Australia by Holden. GM DOES own Holden. Plus Holden doesn't send cars to Europe. They stay in Austrailia. Check your sources next time.